Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 63 29.17%
London 55 25.46%
Hong Kong 38 17.59%
Tokyo 31 14.35%
Paris 29 13.43%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,238,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
This is my view as well.

Out of them all I would have to say New York first because I've never been there secondly because it to be a vibrant and amazing city. I have been to London only once but that was in the mid 1980's (with my young children, a lot of preparation and work) and I would choose to see it again after New York. The rest as follows regarding my interest and impression of them.

New York

London

Hong Kong

Tokyo

Paris
Well, that's always a good reason! Actually, not going to a city probably does elevate it to a degree. And London is a very different city to how it was in the mid-eighties, yet still retains its historical aspect and mystery.

Of the list, I'll discard London because I live there (but with my interests, I'd still pick it first), so in order of these cities I've visited:

Tokyo - my mind was blown after visiting ten years ago. It's so stupidly strange, crazy and beautiful I'd say it's the closest to some weird, alien, culture I've experienced!

Paris - Undeniably beautiful, culturally immersive and sophisticated. I really need to visit again to get a better feel for it though.

NYC - great to visit, amazing food, cool vibe. But...something was missing for me. I think, perhaps, because of it being over-represented in the media, I never felt this element of surprise. But weirdly, I'm still surprised by London all the time, and that's even having lived there all my life.

HK - never been there, nor felt the need to visit. But if I do, i'll update...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 10:56 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
I'm a little surprised that many westerners consider Tokyo a wonder land.
It is a nice place for sure, but in terms of "wonderfulness" I do not see it beat NYC or even Shanghai. It is "neater" than both though.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:12 AM

840 posts, read 727,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is a nice place for sure, but in terms of "wonderfulness" I do not see it beat NYC or even Shanghai. It is "neater" than both though.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:19 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,661,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Well, that's always a good reason! Actually, not going to a city probably does elevate it to a degree. And London is a very different city to how it was in the mid-eighties, yet still retains its historical aspect and mystery.

Of the list, I'll discard London because I live there (but with my interests, I'd still pick it first), so in order of these cities I've visited:

Tokyo - my mind was blown after visiting ten years ago. It's so stupidly strange, crazy and beautiful I'd say it's the closest to some weird, alien, culture I've experienced!

Paris - Undeniably beautiful, culturally immersive and sophisticated. I really need to visit again to get a better feel for it though.

NYC - great to visit, amazing food, cool vibe. But...something was missing for me. I think, perhaps, because of it being over-represented in the media, I never felt this element of surprise. But weirdly, I'm still surprised by London all the time, and that's even having lived there all my life.

HK - never been there, nor felt the need to visit. But if I do, i'll update...
No need to visit HK...
You will save your money for much better cities... Even if they aren't sanctuaries for finance
Busan, Seoul, Kyoto.... Miss them

Old 06-15-2018, 01:36 AM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
I was there last month.
Most liveable? It depends on how you define it. If you are rich and speak Japanese and love the manners. Yes.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:30 AM

89 posts, read 74,862 times
I am blown away by the amount of people voting for truly expensive places like London and NYC.

NYC is stressful, all you do is work, its very overpriced, ouutside of Manhattan most of the city looks horrible, rats everywhere, roaches all over *You cannot escape them*, infrastructure is falling apart, if you are a person of color escalating the social pyramid past the invisible glass you will be pushed down by the NY elite.

London is pretensious, terrible food *Yes they have restaurants from everywhere but the reality is most of the food is not the best, so while its true that you can go have lasagna at a little Italian restaurant somewhere, the quality if often mediocre, that applies to most cuisines there *, if you want a good dining experience its outregously expensive, nightlife is pretensious and outrageously pricey, it is a rather dangerous city with stabbings being a commonaity, transportation is terribly expensive, weather is far from ideal.

Who dont people pick Tokyo, It is beyond me! it offers EVERYTHING London and NYC pretensiously offer, at a smaller price, with excellent quality.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:45 AM

26,862 posts, read 13,088,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabb View Post
I am blown away by the amount of people voting for truly expensive places like London and NYC.

NYC is stressful, all you do is work, its very overpriced, ouutside of Manhattan most of the city looks horrible, rats everywhere, roaches all over *You cannot escape them*, infrastructure is falling apart, if you are a person of color escalating the social pyramid past the invisible glass you will be pushed down by the NY elite.

London is pretensious, terrible food *Yes they have restaurants from everywhere but the reality is most of the food is not the best, so while its true that you can go have lasagna at a little Italian restaurant somewhere, the quality if often mediocre, that applies to most cuisines there *, if you want a good dining experience its outregously expensive, nightlife is pretensious and outrageously pricey, it is a rather dangerous city with stabbings being a commonaity, transportation is terribly expensive, weather is far from ideal.

Who dont people pick Tokyo, It is beyond me! it offers EVERYTHING London and NYC pretensiously offer, at a smaller price, with excellent quality.
Hello Irene.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:59 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,238,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabb View Post

Irene, your limited experience in London and NYC is evident by the nonsense you post and I don't think you know what the word "pretentious" means. Also NYC and London (despite the recent spike in, mostly, gang-related violence) remain extremely safe as large cities go.

And I love Tokyo, but it clearly doesn't offer EVERYTHING the other cities possess! Oh and if we want to talk about the weather, maybe I can use my limited time (two weeks) in Tokyo as an example - I froze my bloody nuts off! So, in Irene-world, it must be like that all the time!

Old 06-15-2018, 04:26 AM

8,868 posts, read 8,336,655 times
Quote:
I was there last month.
Most liveable? It depends on how you define it. If you are rich and speak Japanese and love the manners. Yes.
It is certainly more liveable than anything other Asian countries have to offer.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:56 AM

36,881 posts, read 38,781,820 times
Quote:
A lot of non-Westerners, too.

Tokyo is a great place to explore by foot. There are small shrines and temples everywhere as well as odd shops and retail districts. I think part of what makes Tokyo so very distinctive is how pedestrianized the whole thing is and how that goes on for such a wide expanse and across so many distinctive neighborhoods.

I think another factor is just how polite everyone else and how well put-together and how smoothly things run there.

In my experience, the food is a lot better in Tokyo overall than either NYC or Shanghai. Random produce you buy or small restaurants you walk into generally have better odds of being good than its counterparts in NYC or Shanghai.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-15-2018 at 10:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World