U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: You top pick? (multiple choice this time-- for those that like a few of the places)
New York 37 28.03%
London 37 28.03%
Hong Kong 29 21.97%
Tokyo 15 11.36%
Paris 14 10.61%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-17-2013, 02:08 AM
 
Location: London, United Kingdom
5,944 posts, read 6,418,348 times
Reputation: 6489

Advertisements

Okay, let's do this. There was another thread once that compared 4 of these 5, I don't agree with Hong Kong being left out. It may be significantly smaller but it's an amazing city in it's own right (one of which I'd kill to live in). I was wondering the impact that thread would have had Hong Kong been apart of it.

Okay so lets start this thing. Compare these 5 cities, the worlds 5 greatest cities (in my personal opinion) on everything from dining options, to fun things to see & do, to livability, economy, prominence, cultural appeal, how significant their identities and culture are to the rest of the world, infrastructure, transit systems, skylines (), vibrancy, hospitality, diversity, and everything.

I'd love for there to be participation, I think this thread has the potential to be significantly better than that other one.

Of course, as always pictures are welcome-- so are personal experiences, stories, and curiosities.

As for me personally, it's almost a three way tie between New York, Hong Kong, & London. If I had to pick just one and considering lately I've just been in the mood for the overseas, Hong Kong although I like New York slightly more.

EDIT: Could a mod make the poll multiple choice? I forgot that. My vote would have gone towards New York, Hong Kong, & London.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 01-17-2013 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,684 posts, read 38,906,503 times
Reputation: 11862
I've only been to Hong Kong and New York, and I preferred NY, but then IMO the only other city that could rival NY in my mind is London, which I'm long overdue to see. Hong Kong is an amazing city, though, but I'm sort of biased with NY because of how famous it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 AM
 
Location: London, United Kingdom
5,944 posts, read 6,418,348 times
Reputation: 6489
^^

I'm the same way, I prefer New York overall but reality is that I'm exhausted of living in the United States. Both London and Hong Kong (as well as Seoul & Melbourne) make my short list of where I'd like to go from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 04:47 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,684 posts, read 38,906,503 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
^^

I'm the same way, I prefer New York overall but reality is that I'm exhausted of living in the United States. Both London and Hong Kong (as well as Seoul & Melbourne) make my short list of where I'd like to go from here.
I think in my case being exposed to a lot of British culture (literature, films, reading history.etc) has made me interested in London. Same for America. While I can appreciate HK's skyline and scenery, I know less about the ins and outs of the city, and I'm pretty used to Chinese culture (travelled a bit throughout Asia). While Asia is fascinating I think Europe is definitely next...if you're exhausted living in the US imagine living in the same house most of your life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 AM
 
Location: London, United Kingdom
5,944 posts, read 6,418,348 times
Reputation: 6489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think in my case being exposed to a lot of British culture (literature, films, reading history.etc) has made me interested in London. Same for America. While I can appreciate HK's skyline and scenery, I know less about the ins and outs of the city, and I'm pretty used to Chinese culture (travelled a bit throughout Asia). While Asia is fascinating I think Europe is definitely next...if you're exhausted living in the US imagine living in the same house most of your life!
Yeahhh I've been fortunate to experience living in many different cities (mostly United States cities plus Singapore & Mumbai).

I'm the same way, into lots of literature but more into a gleaming urban environment. Scenery is not mandatory for me but difficult to ignore Hong Kong's beauty. What I like about Hong Kong is the weather (I like very hot), the vibe, street-scape, the architecture (I'm a modernist), the culture, just about everything about it besides it's outdated airport and compared to New York & London, sort of lacking in diversity.

I have been to 4 of these 5 cities (New York, Hong Kong, London, & Paris) all of them are stellar cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,187 posts, read 10,164,293 times
Reputation: 4585
Been to all of them except Hong Kong.

1.Tokyo
2.NYC

3.London

4.Paris

If NYC was as safe and clean as Tokyo it would win hands down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,684 posts, read 38,906,503 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Yeahhh I've been fortunate to experience living in many different cities (mostly United States cities plus Singapore & Mumbai).

I'm the same way, into lots of literature but more into a gleaming urban environment. Scenery is not mandatory for me but difficult to ignore Hong Kong's beauty. What I like about Hong Kong is the weather (I like very hot), the vibe, street-scape, the architecture (I'm a modernist), the culture, just about everything about it besides it's outdated airport and compared to New York & London, sort of lacking in diversity.

I have been to 4 of these 5 cities (New York, Hong Kong, London, & Paris) all of them are stellar cities.
At street level I guess there wasn't anything too unique about HK I felt I hadn't seen before. It was actually more similar to Singapore or even parts of KL in Malaysia than I'd expected, although at the time I visited I hadn't seen much of Asia. Still interesting, but you can find markets, shops, food-stalls anywhere in Asia. Also I find the street-level architecture in HK kind of boring compared to a lot of European cities which are older. By from afar HK is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
13,419 posts, read 15,910,536 times
Reputation: 9193
My personal opinon:

1. New York City

2. London

3. Paris

4. Tokyo

5. Hong Kong

I like New York City the best because Manhattan is just a 4 hour drive from where I live. Haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 11:00 AM
 
Location: London, U.K.
886 posts, read 1,198,568 times
Reputation: 792
New York City
=Paris
=Tokyo
London
Hong Kong

I think Tokyo and NYC are the two best cities in the world but Paris appeals to me just as much as Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 AM
 
228 posts, read 455,137 times
Reputation: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've only been to Hong Kong and New York, and I preferred NY, but then IMO the only other city that could rival NY in my mind is London, which I'm long overdue to see. Hong Kong is an amazing city, though, but I'm sort of biased with NY because of how famous it is.
agree...except the opposite...
i've only been to HK and NYC and i preferred HK.
NYC is an amazing city, though, but i'm sort of biased with HK because it's safer, has cleaner/more variety of public transport and is within 2 hours flight of so many foreign destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top