U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: ?
Barcelona 36 78.26%
Philly 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2013, 07:52 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 43,224,926 times
Reputation: 11862

Advertisements

Philly is one of my favourite cities in the US, but Barcelona is one of my favourite in the world and Europe. I prefer Barcelona overall.

 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
 
6,770 posts, read 7,505,791 times
Reputation: 4204
i didnt realise philadelphia had such a large population

it must be in the top six or seven ?
 
Old 01-20-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,805 posts, read 17,013,814 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i didnt realise philadelphia had such a large population

it must be in the top six or seven ?
5 but not for long. (6)Phoenix and (7)San Antonio are growing very fast.
 
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,732,352 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i didnt realise philadelphia had such a large population

it must be in the top six or seven ?
Depends on which measure. We have several different ones in the United States, I'll walk you guys through them all.

The hierarchy is City, Urban Area, Metropolitan Statistical Area, Urban Agglomeration (the United Nations), & Combined Statistical Area.

By City:
01. New York: 8,244,910
02. Los Angeles: 3,819,702
03. Chicago: 2,707,120
04. Houston: 2,145,146
05. Philadelphia: 1,536,471 (Will most probably be surpassed by a few places sometime in the future)
06. Phoenix: 1,469,471
07. San Antonio: 1,359,758
08. San Diego: 1,326,179
09. Dallas: 1,223,229
10. San Jose: 967,487
11. Jacksonville: 827,908
12. Indianapolis: 827,609
13. Austin: 820,611
14. San Francisco: 812,826
15. Columbus: 797,434

By Urban Area:
01. New York: 18,351,295
02. Los Angeles: 12,150,996
03. Chicago: 8,608,208
04. Miami: 5,502,379
05. Philadelphia: 5,441,567 (By 2018 will be surpassed by Dallas-Fort Worth & Houston, by 2025 by Washington DC, & then some point after that by Atlanta)
06. Dallas-Fort Worth: 5,121,892
07. Houston: 4,944,332
08. Washington DC: 4,586,770
09. Atlanta: 4,515,419
10. Boston: 4,181,019
11. Detroit: 3,734,090
12. Phoenix: 3,629,114
13. San Francisco-Oakland: 3,281,212
14. Seattle: 3,059,393
15. San Diego: 2,956,746

By Metropolitan Statistical Area (2013 numbers):
01. New York: 13,046,718
02. Los Angeles: 13,046,718
03. Chicago: 9,559,207
04. Dallas-Fort Worth: 6,725,448
05. Houston: 6,281,135
06. Philadelphia: 6,029,312 (Will be surpassed by Washington DC by 2015, Miami by 2017, & Atlanta by 2025)
07. Washington DC: 5,845,430
08. Miami: 5,771,842
09. Atlanta: 5,488,101
10. Boston: 4,631,177
11. San Francisco-Oakland: 4,449,364
12. Phoenix: 4,376,947
13. Detroit: 4,261,384
14. Seattle: 3,570,746
15. Minneapolis-Saint Paul: 3,365,804

By Urban Agglomeration:
01. New York: 20,464,000
02. Los Angeles: 14,900,000
03. Chicago: 9,121,000
04. Dallas-Fort Worth: 5,874,000
05. San Francisco-San Jose-Oakland: 5,864,000
06. Miami: 5,582,000
07. Philadelphia: 5,474,000 (Will be surpassed by Houston next year, by Washington DC by 2020, & by Atlanta by 2025)
08. Houston: 5,383,000
09. Atlanta: 4,715,000
10. Washington DC: 4,679,000
11. Boston: 4,427,000
12. Phoenix: 4,076,000
13. Detroit: 3,724,000
14. Seattle: 3,127,000
15. San Diego: 2,988,000

By Combined Statistical Area (2013 numbers):
01. New York: 22,343,376
02. Los Angeles: 18,317,025
03. Chicago: 9,785,240
04. Washington DC-Baltimore: 8,889,189
05. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland (the Bay Area): 7,666,243
06. Boston: 7,647,516
07. Dallas-Fort Worth: 7,089,409
08. Philadelphia: 6,603,496 (Will be surpassed by Houston by 2015)
09. Houston: 6,386,756
10. Atlanta: 5,846,733
11. Miami: 5,771,842
12. Detroit: 5,181,977
13. Phoenix: 4,376,947
14. Seattle: 4,353,971
15. Minneapolis-Saint Paul: 3,705,649

The only consistency is that New York, Los Angeles, & Chicago are ALWAYS 1, 2, & 3 in the United States.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 01-20-2013 at 03:11 PM..
 
Old 01-20-2013, 04:31 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,186 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Reputation: 10258
The only city in the US I would prefer to Barcelona is New York City but even that's sort of up in the air. Barcelona surpasses any of the large US cities in nearly all the metrics originally listed.
 
Old 01-20-2013, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,386 posts, read 9,967,524 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
i didnt realise philadelphia had such a large population

it must be in the top six or seven ?
Philly has always been among the top 5 largest cities since the founding of the United States. The only reason Philly drop in the rankings of the other statistical categories that "Valentro" provided is because the city lost 4 counties in it's MSA/CSA when the 2000 census released its info. If Philly still had it's original metro size than it would be ranked 4th in every statistical category like it was before the year 2000.
 
Old 01-20-2013, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,732,352 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Philly has always been among the top 5 largest cities since the founding of the United States. The only reason Philly drop in the rankings of the other statistical categories that "Valentro" provided is because the city lost 4 counties in it's MSA/CSA when the 2000 census released its info. If Philly still had it's original metro size than it would be ranked 4th in every statistical category like it was before the year 2000.
I agree with you on the MSA & CSA counties being swallowed by New York, however I disagree with Urban Area & the United Nations Urban Agglomerations. Neither of those metrics are formulated by counties whatsoever. The Urban Agglomeration by the United Nations is counted the same way for every city across the world-- there are absolutely no leans on any biases there whatsoever. A mountain range bisects Mumbai which drops it from a hypercity (20 million +) of 22.5 million to an urban agglomeration of 17 million because it's urbanization wasn't continuous. They do the same thing with Los Angeles, due to the interruption in continuous development due to a mountain range bisecting the urban region, the urban agglomerations population is 15 million rather than the 18 million in the "metropolitan" conducted by the United States census bureau. I find this metric to be the most fair-- and infinitely more so than anything the US Census Bureau has to offer.

The United States Urban Areas are formulated by an urbanized zone that maintains a continuous density above their required threshold. As far as I go, I think more globally so I've always given FAR more weight to the UN's Urban Agglomerations than anything else.

Anyhow, population is a non-factor in this comparison but Philadelphia still remains one of the United States' larger cities.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 01-20-2013 at 05:23 PM..
 
Old 01-20-2013, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,386 posts, read 9,967,524 times
Reputation: 5230
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I agree with you on the MSA & CSA counties being swallowed by New York, however I disagree with Urban Area & the United Nations Urban Agglomerations. Neither of those metrics are formulated by counties whatsoever. The Urban Agglomeration by the United Nations is counted the same way for every city across the world-- there are absolutely no leans on any biases there whatsoever. A mountain range bisects Mumbai which drops it from a hypercity (20 million +) of 22.5 million to an urban agglomeration of 17 million because it's urbanization wasn't continuous. I find this metric to be the most fair-- and infinitely more so than anything the US Census Bureau has to offer.

The United States Urban Areas are formulated by an urbanized zone that maintains a continuous density above their required threshold. As far as I go, I think more globally so I've always given FAR more weight to the UN's Urban Agglomerations than anything else.
Than explain to me how the Trenton urban area was split from the Philly urban area even though it was always part of the Philly urban area before the 2000 census. The population is still there and it did not decline in that area but has actually increased in population and has become even more urbanly continuous than it was 10 years ago. Would seem like corrupt MSA politics played a huge part in that. Which proves that urban areas are heavily influenced by MSA cuts. If that's not the case then this proves that the census bureau makes up special rules for only the Philly area.

The only thing that legitimately blocks the Philly area from continuous urbanization is the pines barren in South Jersey, otherwise it would have already combined with the Atlantic City urban area by now. Other than that there are no other natural landscape barriers blocking urbanization.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 01-20-2013 at 05:37 PM..
 
Old 01-20-2013, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,732,352 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Than explain to me how the Trenton urban area was split from the Philly urban area even though it was always part of the Philly urban area before the 2000 census. The population is still there and it did not decline in that area but has actually increased in population and has become even more urbanly continuous than it was 10 years ago. Would seem like corrupt MSA politics played a huge part in that. Which proves that urban areas are heavily influenced by MSA cuts. If that's not the case then this proves that the census bureau makes up special rules for only the Philly area.
Can you show a link or something that it was apart of the Philadelphia Urban Area (the UA) before 2000? Not saying I don't believe you but I wasn't surfing around online with an interest for cities back then so I didn't (and wouldn't) know about that. Because everything I've ever seen has it as it's own separate urban cluster, since post-2000.

Yeahh I'm frankly not a fan of the OMB myself, I find this county counting technique of theirs to be flawed and frankly they make America look hick-- every damn CSA is like 12,000 square miles reaching into trailer park country-- how the hell is that apart of "the city". That's why I look at the United Nation's Urban Agglomeration, it's by FAR more precise & telling of the actuality. If you honestly think the OMB of the US Census Bureau is corrupt then look at the UN's agglomeration instead because you would have no basis for calling the council of world countries corrupt on the same basis. They measure every single city in the world by the same (strict) standards, arguing against that would be difficult.
 
Old 01-21-2013, 02:02 PM
 
630 posts, read 811,057 times
Reputation: 223
No way no how! No comparison. Philly is out of its element. Are you kidding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top