U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Barcelona 36 78.26%
Philly 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:39 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,202,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
We've been through this already we all know Philly lost several counties in its CSA, so that makes the region look smaller than it actually is when it comes to population. It's misleading and downright embarrassing imo, but lets not get to deep in that topic as that is a thread in itself.
You have been through this with someone else not me and unlike the other guy you were talking to IDC. The census department actively measures all cities in the US the same way, so complaining because of your vulnerable location and then bragging about how close to NYC... welcome to the world of double standards son.
Quote:
Unlike San Francisco, cities like Philly and Barcelona have 4 distinct seasons. You may like having year round mild weather but I personally prefer thechanging of the seasons, especially summer to fall. There is simply no comparison in that department.
Good for you, I prefer to not shovel snow and sweat like a dog. So I will keep the San Francisco weather and the bay has dew points that increase and decrease in a 30 min area. I like our microclimates. Enjoy shoveling snow and it's not December anymore bruh, frosty the snowman is not coming back.
Quote:
You know there is more to Philly cuisine than just cheesesteaks. Philly is ranked as one of the best salad loving cities in the country.
Philadelphia ranks among top salad loving cities - Philadelphia Nutrition | Examiner.com
Good for you, sounds erm unappealing to me. But I really dont want to have this debate San Francisco vs Philly debate anymore.. you folks obviously don't know when you have lost and I am not 18montclair... consider yourself lucky I am not as competitive as him to entertain these arguments.
Quote:
I would rather take the Ben Franklin Bridge, anything in old city, Masonic Temple, and One Liberty Place for starters.

Our transit system is more extensive and we also have more transit options and that's not even factoring NJT or DART which serve the suburbs as well. Plus Philly has much better intercity rail service aka the "Northeast Corridor Line". San Francisco transit is good but the gap is not as close as you think it is.
Good for you. I like GGB, BB, GGP, TA, ALCTZ, PL, etc better.
Quote:
Wasn't your city greatly influenced from cities like Philadelphia. They don't call San Francisco "The East Coast city of the West" for nothing.
No one calls San Francisco that here, come here and say it and see if we GAF.
Quote:
Philly may not be the most polished or internationally known city in the country but it has all the amenities any city in the US can offer. I could care less rather you would want to live their or not because that's not the point. The point is that there is a lot of unrelentless Philly bashing on here and quite frankly I'm just a little tired of it.
Then put your boys on a muzzle, you folks from Philly are on the level of neo nazis with how much you boost your city. You folks don't know when to quit and think youre the best at everything and then you cry, complain, and bleeep some more when folks dont share the same opinion of the city with you. TBH its annoying, every argument turns into Trenton Trenton NYC NYC Trenton AC Lancaster... really who brags about a place as crimeridden as AC with an unemployment rate in the 5 highest of the US?

I had no probs with Philly when I first joined this forum, since the time being I have cooled down as I thought this site was overrun by annoying eastcoasters but these days I can give other cities their credit. I dont have a prob saying NYC, LA, Chicago are more important and a tier above the bay. I can accept that and I can accept our placement with DC but that's as low as my offer will go. I dont hate Philly, what I really hate are the Philly boosters... I dont think your city is that great. Its ok...

Last edited by scrantiX; 01-27-2013 at 12:47 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,732,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You have a good taste in cities but you are underrating Philly. Philly is Boston's closest sibling. They have very similar strengths, but Boston just does everything a little bit better. What's holding Philly back is crime, tremendous amount of blight and its notoriously parochial and provincial culture. But the negatives should not detract from its positives. Of which there are plenty. Its got one of the best city centers in the country filled with beautiful architecture, great neighborhoods and vibrant street life; its historical pedigree is second to none; it's got world class educational and cultural institutions; and while we've been criticizing its public transit it is still easily among the best in the country. So I strongly disagree that it's an average city. Overall I place it solidly at #7 in the US. Cities like Miami and San Diego (which I know you like) might have some attributes that are superior to Philly but for overall urban qualities and offerings Philly is on another level.
Bold: Yeahh I could see that part. It's not a knock on Philadelphia to prefer other places to it though. I mean that's what America is in general, choices of what works for you as opposed to other options in general. Boston & Philadelphia share a lot of similarities but they also share differences, specifically in culture.

Red: Thing with me is, I'm not an urban enthusiast though. I like cities that work to their advantage and set themselves apart. If they lack an urban environment, that's a loss but if they can compensate for it with something else that draws me to them then I can look the other way. I'm not a hardcore fanatic of urbanism nor one of suburbanism or anything in general. I just like things as they appeal to me. For San Diego it's the mountains and the marina and Comic Con (yes I'm a Comic dork), and the overall climate, peaceful and slow vibe (complete contrast to where I am now). I've never actually equated the place with urbanism before but it's not really something I've thought about. Miami I see as a stellar secondary option, the ying to Washington's yang. The "other" half. The turquoise waters, above 70 degree climate (I prefer 70 on up, it's on the opposite side of the spectrum here right now ), the Latinos, palms, Ultra, and the nightlife in general. Urbanism isn't something that registers to me there. I see San Diego as a retirement place, rather than a place I'd spend my 20's in and I see Miami as a second home to spend winters in. Philadelphia is a city in the running for primary, where I'd choose to set my career, where I'd feel comfortable interacting with it's culture, to what I'd like looking at everyday, so on.

Like I mentioned earlier, Philadelphia as a city probably works for a lot of people but to me it's probably not a close option. I'm not trying to underrate it but I'm just trying to say, I have preferences more so psychological and superficial based off aesthetics and all of that to where it's not a right match for me. You're right though, Philadelphia has a lot of great things going for it and it's a great city for America in general-- I apologize if my posts indicated anything less of that. However, even the things you listed: American history, center city, so on are things that are towards the middle or lower on my list behind several other things I'd like more in a place, one being a huge emphasis in literature/publishing (my replacement for history). In which case, I hope you understand why Boston stands out compared to Philadelphia.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 01-27-2013 at 01:22 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 AM

8,386 posts, read 9,967,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
You have been through this with someone else not me and unlike the other guy you were talking to IDC. The census department actively measures all cities in the US the same way, so complaining because of your vulnerable location and then bragging about how close to NYC... welcome to the world of double standards son.

Good for you, I prefer to not shovel snow and sweat like a dog. So I will keep the San Francisco weather and the bay has dew points that increase and decrease in a 30 min area. I like our microclimates. Enjoy shoveling snow and it's not December anymore bruh, frosty the snowman is not coming back.

Good for you, sounds erm unappealing to me. But I really dont want to have this debate San Francisco vs Philly debate anymore.. you folks obviously don't know when you have lost and I am not 18montclair... consider yourself lucky I am not as competitive as him to entertain these arguments.

Good for you. I like GGB, BB, GGP, TA, ALCTZ, PL, etc better.

No one calls San Francisco that here, come here and say it and see if we GAF.

Then put your boys on a muzzle, you folks from Philly are on the level of neo nazis with how much you boost your city. You folks don't know when to quit and think youre the best at everything and then you cry, complain, and bleeep some more when folks dont share the same opinion of the city with you. TBH its annoying, every argument turns into Trenton Trenton NYC NYC Trenton AC Lancaster... really who brags about a place as crimeridden as AC with an unemployment rate in the 5 highest of the US?

I had no probs with Philly when I first joined this forum, since the time being I have cooled down as I thought this site was overrun by annoying eastcoasters but these days I can give other cities their credit. I dont have a prob saying NYC, LA, Chicago are more important and a tier above the bay. I can accept that and I can accept our placement with DC but that's as low as my offer will go. I dont hate Philly, what I really hate are the Philly boosters... I dont think your city is that great. Its ok...
What are you talking about? Almost all the Philly posters in this site are usually in defense mode from all of the relentless Philly bashing from other cities. That's not boosting, it just defending what's ours that all. Like I said before, it doesn't matter rather you like Philly or no, but bashing it for the sake of bashing it is not good.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 AM

886 posts, read 1,293,148 times
I used to talk to valentro on Messenger and Skype with other forumers (grapico and tmac9wr) sometimes and I can see where he's going with it. Everything is pushed off the table for him besides his obsession with his career and money.

Last edited by BLAXTOR; 01-27-2013 at 01:44 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
I used to talk to valentro on Messenger and Skype with other forumers (grapico and tmac9wr) sometimes and I can see where he's going with it.
Yes, plus Lifeshadower we're all friends in actual life. We share many of the same interests.
Quote:
Everything is pushed off the table for him besides his obsession with his career and money.
Well, there's also that I'm into Thai, Japanese, Malaysian, & South Korean girls-- so perhaps I should have said that earlier on. I've only been close to one girl that's not South Korean, Japanese, or Thai as more than just "friends". Ehhh, whatever though.

However yes, literature/publishing are my number one. Seriously why I love Washington so much, along with Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, & New York. Miami's the outlier there.

Either way, I'm not disagreeing with Philadelphia ranking amongst the best in the United States, my argument is solely just about my preference-- nothing more than that actually. Frankly, I'm really into the likes of New York, Seoul, Osaka, Tokyo, Hong Kong, London, Tel Aviv-- so my opinion of America in general are admittedly more so jaded.

By the way, Brian says what's up.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:01 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,224,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
You have a good taste in cities but you are underrating Philly. Philly is Boston's closest sibling. They have very similar strengths, but Boston just does everything a little bit better. What's holding Philly back is crime, tremendous amount of blight and its notoriously parochial and provincial culture. But the negatives should not detract from its positives. Of which there are plenty. Its got one of the best city centers in the country filled with beautiful architecture, great neighborhoods and vibrant street life; its historical pedigree is second to none; it's got world class educational and cultural institutions; and while we've been criticizing its public transit it is still easily among the best in the country. So I strongly disagree that it's an average city. Overall I place it solidly at #7 in the US. Cities like Miami and San Diego (which I know you like) might have some attributes that are superior to Philly but for overall urban qualities and offerings Philly is on another level.
I definitely agree. Anyone who can appreciate history and architecture can see Philly at it's core has the potential to be a much greater city than the likes of Miami or Atlanta. It's got something almost no other city has...well many things, including it's location, which is a double-edged sword. If it fixed it's crime and it's economically was on the rebound it would be heralded as one of the top 5 cities in America. Like you say, it's no slouch in the education and medical fields, it's just outshined by what I think is the greatest city in the world. But while Manhattan las little say, pre 19th century history, Philly has tons of it.

Philly is still an alpha- city in the global rankings, don't forget.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:50 AM

886 posts, read 1,293,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Either way, I'm not disagreeing with Philadelphia ranking amongst the best in the United States, my argument is solely just about my preference-- nothing more than that actually. Frankly, I'm really into the likes of New York, Seoul, Osaka, Tokyo, Hong Kong, London, Tel Aviv-- so my opinion of America in general are admittedly more so jaded.
Just curious but why those cities?

What are the biggest differences to you between Boston and Philly?

Old 01-27-2013, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Just curious but why those cities?

What are the biggest differences to you between Boston and Philly?
Bold: Technology (I'm extremely tech savvy). I prefer technologically advanced cities, also new to old.

I never hopped on to the history side. I'm 22 years old, grew up in the 1990's playing lots of basketball & soccer for sports. Watching Code Lyoko (French animation), Dragon Ball Z (Japanese anime), Bleach (Japanese anime), One Piece (Japanese anime), Ruroni Kenshen (Japanese anime), Gundam Wing (Japanese anime). Everything I own is Japanese (besides my iPhone, iPad, & Macbook (but I still prefer my Sony Viao to it-- more stylish design especially the button interface). My cars Infiniti M35 & Infiniti G35 are both Japanese. My alarm clock (Sony) is Japanese. My Television here in Washington (Sony Bravia in the living room) is Japanese, the one in my room (Samsung) is South Korean. All my previous phones before the iPhone came out in 2007 (I got it on the first day and have updated to the new one each year since) were all Japanese, the Nokia N97, Sony Ericcson S710, Sony Ericcson P910, so on. Just about the only thing I own that's not Japanese or Korean are my clothes and stuff along those lines. Usually when I'm online-- on the other tab open on my browser it's a Japanese anime, right now I'm watching both Naruto Shippuden & One Piece. My video game consoles are Japanese: PSP, PS3, N-Gage, Nintendo Wii, DS 3D, I have an Xbox 360 but it collects dust. My preference in movies are Japanese horror movies but I'm more open about movies as I also equally love American Cinema. I'm nocturnal (as it shows), I like the level of activity at night (I prefer it to daylight).

The music I listen to, Japanese techno (Nujabes) & Japanese hip hop (Shing02) are all Japanese. As well as Canadian & British techno/trance music (Latitude, Lusine, Armin van Buren, Oliver Smith, Orkidea, the Audien, Deadmau5, Carrie Fisher, so on). The food I eat largely consists of Thai, Japanese Sushi, Chinese-Indian fusion, or Malaysian food and equally American food all tilt to it. Every girl I've ever "dated" has either been Korean, Chinese, Thai, and one North Indian/French.

It doesn't come as a surprise why I slant towards Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Malaysian, Singaporean.

The literature I read is English & American: Lemony Snicket's a series of unfortunate events (my favorite personally), every Sherlock Holmes detective story, Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre, Great Expectations, Emma, Lord of the Flies, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Macbeth just to name a few of my personal favorites in my collection.

I'm not as transit oriented as my posts indicate-- it's my personal belief world class cities (especially first world ones) should have spectacular transit options but half the time I prefer to drive too and I like the ease of driving on good road networks. I use transit when I know it's going to be a late night and I may have something to drink (I never drink and drive) or when I just don't feel like the hassle of driving.

Growing up in the 1990's and having an affinity for technology (my life's completed ruled by it) I also developed a passion for the modern era of architecture. I like old architecture too but it plays a backseat to the modern era-- in which case I like buildings like the Trump Tower in Chicago, the Burj Khalifa, practically everything in Miami's skyline (as I also have an affinity for revived Mediterranean Art Deco) & everything there is abut glass, sleek, modern, new, fast elevators, lights, LCD screen, modern grade roads, zippng transit-- modern transit cars, well kept and polished.

I consider Mumbai & Houston the worst of the places I've ever lived in (I only like Houston because I know so many great people there and the familiarity so I suppose it's always going to be a backups to a backups option for me): I hated the dirtiness, pollution and lack of infrastructure in both. I get annoyed easily, I get annoyed seeing crooked picture frames and doors open in the hallways (unnecessarily)-- I suppose you could say I'm a clean freak, OCD about it too, and I love polished. Less than stellar is just unacceptable to me in terms of presentation.

Culturally I'm introverted, I'm quiet in actual life and mind my own business-- I don't let too many people into my life at all and they have to be people that can present themselves as serious minded and ambitous-- well groomed, well dressed, well cultured, smart, literate, educated, so on. I don't look at race-- I look at the ability of a person to be presentable and ambitious to show they have a goal in life.

I absolutely despise American street culture, hip hop (with a passion), anything that promotes ghettoness and tattoos and violence/domestic violence and disrespect to others.

As you mentioned, I also do like money. I'm capital minded but it's not very serious-- I am responsible with my finances and organized, every receipt of my purchase-- I have them all rolled and taped together.

While these are all boring things about me, I also have a fun side too. I like the ecclectic environment of trance/techno/musical culture-- something like Miami, Chicago, Tokyo, Seoul, Toronto, Ibiza. My idea of nightlife isn't a lounge or nightclub but rather a rave or bar and for the bar.

Without further ado, these are examples of my "ideal" cities:

This: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-_Dec_2007.jpg

This: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/...d29318d9_b.jpg

This: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5454/...09f00fb1_b.jpg

Especially this: http://wallpapersus.com/wp-content/u...apers-asia.jpg

This: https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3403...6a492b68_o.jpg

Especially this: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8040/...6de35f95_b.jpg

This: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3592/...0ff207c9_o.jpg

This: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/98/233...064_z.jpg?zz=1

Especially where a urban large city + natural beauty + great climate come together like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_of_Busan.png

I like a city with a package of things that I like: modern, great infrastructure, great coastal location, great and free spirited culture, great sense in art galleries, strong backbone in literature, lots of LCD's and neon lights, lots and lots of vibrancy (like Tokyo), affluent (a place where you have a fighting chance to make a strong career), fashionable (a place where people care how they walk out looking like), scenery, multi-use environment (trams to mountains, boats to tour, pathways to trails, so on).

I'm not an urban enthusiast by any means because there are certain things even in less urban cities that appeal to me that push it above some of the more urban ones but I do like the vibe and feel of a megacity, the vibrancy of one, everything that comes with it.

I'm also car cultured. Things like No2, supercharger, speed chips, turbos, whatever appeal to me as do scenes for car culture-- like a car meet, car exchange, modifications, whatever.

I'm biased on what I like in a city because of what I grew up liking, things are different for other people-- no doubt. I hardly have too many friends of mine that share the same interest as me or like the same things as me, so I can safely assume we're all different on this message board as well.

Red: Coastal, polished, more dramatic scenery, more technologically advanced (Boston's pretty underrated for that), safety, robust job market (more open to my field), literature (think things like Hester Pryne, Salem Witch Trials, Paul Revere!), more liberal, and beautiful lush (very thick forested) outskirt environments (to the city not just the metropolitan). Also, I hope not to offend anyone by saying this-- I'm not racist and have nothing against people from anywhere but I prefer the diversity of Boston more (even to Washington) as well as the reserved New England culture. I really meant no harm by my race statements. Also hotter girls and less of an industrial vibe to the place.

I also like a place that has a sense of worth, the locals in Boston call it the "hub of the universe" and for some reason, cultures where people identify that they're living in a stellar city by default whether it's Boston or Washington or San Francisco just really appeal to me. I'm not a pessimist, I'm an optimist (and realist) and I just cant have a hard time being in a place where people doubt and badmouth their own city.

To be fair and to state it where it's not "underrating" Philadelphia, it's a better city for those that like more laid back, approachable people, it has more "character" and pride, it's the bigger city (feels it too), has it's own dynamics for a cuisine, stellar American history, good bones with a great (and underrated park system-- think Fairmont), and lots of vibrancy and as it's been mentioned a stellar location for day trips to Baltimore, New York, & Washington. And there's a lot more to it too.

I'm Singaporean born but American raised, I love America (my only real gripe with it is our infrastructure, ohhh and Sarah Palin) but the country at times can feel underwhelming. We do have a great collection of cities we have great tourist cities with Miami/Las Vegas/Orlando/Honolulu (never been to HI but I feel it's overrated and filled with old people), entertainment capitals like New York & Los Angeles, architecturally stunning cities like Chicago, economic power hitters like Dallas/Houston/Seattle, historic cities like Boston & Philadelphia, and whatever it is that Atlanta does. We have it all but yes, we could use more work but in our defense despite being 300 years old, America is still a new place at heart. It's still maturing and it's still becoming a greater place-- great place already.

Last edited by Facts Kill Rhetoric; 01-27-2013 at 05:11 AM..

Old 01-27-2013, 05:31 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,791,930 times
I hate Barcelona now , I was robbed there twice.
As a kid I went to Barcelona with wy mum during the Franco era in the Sixties, it was awesome back then...back then. It changed for the worse.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 AM

11,831 posts, read 9,850,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I dont hate Philly, what I really hate are the Philly boosters... I dont think your city is that great. Its ok...
Just curious, what do you consider boosting? Last time I checked, there is only one American city on city-data that is dutifully compared to the likes of Paris and Rome by it's boosters and that city is not Philadelphia. Hell, that city is not even New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston or Miami.

It is San Francisco, which most people I feel would agree is the most heavily boosted city on this website. Philadelphian posters simply respond to call outs and untruthful remarks from posters like you, which you know all too well we don't ignore.

San Francisco is a geographically small, rich, expensive and old (population) city. It is heavily white/asian and has an increasingly corporate culture. It's public transit and architecture are lacking. IMO it's weather is terrible but I know some people swear by it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of The Bay Area and especially Oakland intrigues me as somewhere to live but sometimes you SF boosters need to be piped down. It is what it is, everyone has their preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or