Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Barcelona 36 78.26%
Philly 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 08:15 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You forget to mention GDP, transportation, architecture, location, scenery, weather, and food
GDP

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $569.5B
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA MSA $335.3B
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA $182.8B
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA MSA $20.3B
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA MSA $14.1B
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA MSA $9.9B
Napa, CA MSA $7.1B

Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $553.6B
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI MSA $546.8B
Kankakee-Bradley, IL MSA $3.2B
Michigan City-La Porte, IN MSA $3.6B

Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $446.5B
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH MSA $326
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA MSA $68.2B
Worcester, MA MSA $30.3B
Manchester-Nashua, NH MSA $22B
Concord, NH µSA
Laconia, NH µSA

Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA $420.4B
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA $420.4B
Huntsville, TX µSA
Bay City, TX µSA

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA $405B
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA $401.3B
Sherman-Denison, TX MSA $3.7B
Athens, TX µSA
Granbury, TX µSA
Gainesville, TX µSA
Bonham, TX µSA
Mineral Wells, TX µSA

Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA $372.9B
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD MSA $352.7B
Reading, PA MSA $15.1B
Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ MSA $5.1B

DISAGREE

Weather
weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Current Temperatures

Really, this is just comical that someone in Philly even wants to argue weather..... come on bruh!

LOL DISAGREE

Food
When Michelin, AAA, and wine country open a brochure for Philly then we will talk. You are not in our league for food. PERIOD. I could post the AAA or Michelin but that would embarrass Philly completely because neither of them feature Philly or give it low ratings. So I will reference another nationally acclaimed assessment. Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire

DISAGREE

Scenery
WTF, your mom ought to ground you for life and throw away the key boy. Listen to me closely son, YOU WILL NEVER EVER COMPETE WITH SAN FRANCISCO FOR SCENERY. Don't even dream about it!

DISAGREE

AGREE

Architecture

Don't make me put my white gloves on, you wish your city could compete with the Portrait Ladies, Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, TransAmerica, Alcataz (architecture of prison), etc.

DISAGREE

Transportation
Our roads aren't as bad as yours and our transit has more riders. We have Caltrain, MUNI, BART, VTA. PT in the bay is not the best in the US but we can hold our own to Philly.

DISAGREE

You city does not compete with the SF Bay Area, please stop pretending it does and to the folks that don't live in either, stop giving these Philly folks false hope!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:23 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
I am not a Philly booster, the opposite actually, and I don't hate Philly but unlike you I don't think it's a great city either.

Quote:
You could not pay me enough to live there IMO.
I assume you wouldn't have a problem living in Barcelona right?

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 01-26-2013 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Philly and Barcelona are two of my favourite cities. Philly NEEDS boosting, the place needs work but recognition would help again re-gaining a place in the top 5 or at least top 7 or so.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,568 times
I've lived in London and NYC and now live in Philly. I love it! Barcelona is beautiful and has much to see and do, but Philly is definitely a world class city too, albeit one that is often overshadowed by NYC and D.C.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
GDP

San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $569.5B
San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, CA MSA $335.3B
San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA MSA $182.8B
Santa Rosa-Petaluma, CA MSA $20.3B
Vallejo-Fairfield, CA MSA $14.1B
Santa Cruz-Watsonville, CA MSA $9.9B
Napa, CA MSA $7.1B

Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $553.6B
Chicago-Naperville-Joliet, IL-IN-WI MSA $546.8B
Kankakee-Bradley, IL MSA $3.2B
Michigan City-La Porte, IN MSA $3.6B

Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $446.5B
Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, MA-NH MSA $326
Providence-New Bedford-Fall River, RI-MA MSA $68.2B
Worcester, MA MSA $30.3B
Manchester-Nashua, NH MSA $22B
Concord, NH µSA
Laconia, NH µSA

Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA $420.4B
Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX MSA $420.4B
Huntsville, TX µSA
Bay City, TX µSA

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA $405B
Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA $401.3B
Sherman-Denison, TX MSA $3.7B
Athens, TX µSA
Granbury, TX µSA
Gainesville, TX µSA
Bonham, TX µSA
Mineral Wells, TX µSA

Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA $372.9B
Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD MSA $352.7B
Reading, PA MSA $15.1B
Vineland-Millville-Bridgeton, NJ MSA $5.1B
DISAGREE
We've been through this already we all know Philly lost several counties in its CSA, so that makes the region look smaller than it actually is when it comes to population. It's misleading and downright embarrassing imo, but lets not get to deep in that topic as that is a thread in itself.

Quote:
[Weather
weather.com - Map Room - Satellite Map, Weather Map, Doppler Radar US: Current Temperatures
Really, this is just comical that someone in Philly even wants to argue weather..... come on bruh!
LOL DISAGREE
Unlike San Francisco, cities like Philly and Barcelona have 4 distinct seasons. You may like having year round mild weather but I personally prefer thechanging of the seasons, especially summer to fall. There is simply no comparison in that department. [/quote]

Quote:
Food
When Michelin, AAA, and wine country open a brochure for Philly then we will talk. You are not in our league for food. PERIOD. I could post the AAA or Michelin but that would embarrass Philly completely because neither of them feature Philly or give it low ratings. So I will reference another nationally acclaimed assessment. Best Restaurant Cities - The Best Restaurant Cities in America 2010 - Esquire
DISAGREE
You know there is more to Philly cuisine than just cheesesteaks. Philly is ranked as one of the best salad loving cities in the country.
Philadelphia ranks among top salad loving cities - Philadelphia Nutrition | Examiner.com

Also our restaurant scene is no slouch either. Philly is considered one of the best food cities according to "Food and Wine".
What Defines a Great Food City? | Food & Wine

Quote:
Architecture

Don't make me put my white gloves on, you wish your city could compete with the Portrait Ladies, Golden Gate Bridge, Bay Bridge, TransAmerica, Alcataz (architecture of prison), etc.

DISAGREE
I would rather take the Ben Franklin Bridge, anything in old city, Masonic Temple, and One Liberty Place for starters.

Quote:
Transportation
Our roads aren't as bad as yours and our transit has more riders. We have Caltrain, MUNI, BART, VTA. PT in the bay is not the best in the US but we can hold our own to Philly.
DISAGREE
Our transit system is more extensive and we also have more transit options and that's not even factoring NJT or DART which serve the suburbs as well. Plus Philly has much better intercity rail service aka the "Northeast Corridor Line". San Francisco transit is good but the gap is not as close as you think it is.

Quote:
Your city does not compete with the SF Bay Area, please stop pretending it does and to the folks that don't live in either, stop giving these Philly folks false hope!
Wasn't your city greatly influenced from cities like Philadelphia. They don't call San Francisco "The East Coast city of the West" for nothing.

Philly may not be the most polished or internationally known city in the country but it has all the amenities any city in the US can offer. I could care less rather you would want to live their or not because that's not the point. The point is that there is a lot of unrelentless Philly bashing on here and quite frankly I'm just a little tired of it.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 01-26-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 09:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
^ Barcelona's climate is somewhat similar to SF but with hotter summers. It's winters aren't really real winters by NE standards.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think it's simply because the States just has SO MANY big cities. Go to China and India, with their countless large cities, and you'll see the same. Not every Japanese city is as fascinating as Tokyo, either, most German cities, if they lack history, can be boring too, especially the lower-tier ones that nobody has heard of. It's a bit hard for every city in the US to be amazing and unique, remember a lot of these cities were built to be FUNCTIONAL first (although one can argue how sustainable they are). Houston was built as a functional place where people live and work, not a showpiece like Vegas. Not that most cities are built as 'showpieces', but 'functionalism' seems more the thing in the US than aesthetics.
Not sure why you are comparing the US to China and India, two countries that have been dirt poor for most of their modern existence (and in case of India, continues to be to this day). The US is the wealthiest country in the world, has proud European heritage and is the size of Germany, UK, France, Italy and Spain combined so its reasonable to hold it to a higher standard.

As for Japan, yes not every city is as fascinating as Tokyo but i bet their Fukuokas and Sapporos are a whole lot more fascinating and vibrant than our Houstons and Atlantas.

The point is I am not expecting every American city to be "unique and amazing" but it would be nice to see more of our cities possess the vitality of similar size cities in Europe and elsewhere, given our cultural heritage and wealth. Of course i am fully aware of the reasons they arent.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well America is a big country. What other countries have so many metros with over a million? Only recently has China exceeded the US. As a comparison:

For a country of 300 million, the United States boasts 51 metropolitan statistical areas (MSA's) with over a million people! (List of Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Think about that, that's one million+ metro for every 6 million residents.

I know size isn't everything, but most 'world class' cities are million+. Europe has tons of GREAT cities in the 100,000 - 1 million range, but it's internationally famous cities, London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Madrid, tend to be at least a million if not millions.

So let's look at some European countries to compare, shall we?

The UK has a mere 4 MSA's with over 1 million people: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Glasgow. One for every 12 million people.

France, a mere 3: Paris, Lyon and Marseille, one for every 20 million.

Spain, a mere 2: Madrid and Barcelona, one for every 20 million.

Germany has more. Italy has a few. But still less than the US.

Japan, South Africa, Australia, Canada and Japan compare rather well with the US, but they simply do not have AS MANY big cities as the States.
My point is that if you compare similar size cities in those countries to ours the comparison is not going to be flattering for the US. How many 1m+ cities there are is not the issue.

Last edited by Fitzrovian; 01-26-2013 at 11:37 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 11:27 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,989,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I assume you wouldn't have a problem living in Barcelona right?
Wrong.

I am not comfortable living out of California but yes if you put a gun to my head and asked me to pick between these two I would go with Barcelona. Spanish culture is interesting to me, I speak fluent Espanol and out of the US my favorite cities in the world are Latin and then Shanghai and Paris.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Lived in some dramatically different cities all my life: Singapore, Chicago, Houston, Dallas, Austin, Ann Arbor, Mumbai. Would like to try Seoul, London, Melbourne, Osaka, Tokyo, Tel Aviv, New York at some point in my life (not all but as many as I can).

Philadelphia offers me absolutely nothing I want out of a city (except the walkability) and overall it's an average American city, albeit more urban than 95% of them. There are probably 87 cities in the world (21 just in the United States) that I would take over it.

Here's a list of my preferences, as you can see-- it's not hard to tell why it fell short: http://www.city-data.com/forum/27844261-post17.html

I have no one there, no family, no friends, no one. So that just makes it less attractive than Los Angeles/Dallas/Houston where I have life long friends or family and a sense of familiarity with each of those cities. It's not as scenic (or safe) as Seattle/Tucson/Denver/San Diego/Austin/Portland so retirement there is out of the question. It's not a good back up for me to keep my resume held off on like Atlanta for journalism/broadcasting/media/publishing/editorials/professional writing. Nor is it one of my favorite cities like New York/Chicago/Washington/Boston/Miami/San Francisco.

I don't have anything against it but I don't have anything for it either-- definitely not enough reason for me to bash or praise it/glamorize it. For example if I wanted to live in a historic, dense, urban city in the United States-- I'd rather go with Boston as I appreciate it's storied yet modern look, polished & clean nature, safe, cosmopolitan, robust job market, and setting on the coastal New England shoreline where hills come crashing down into the ocean where historical sites stand and lighthouses can be seen marking the night (cool) sky of a New England summer on an island right near the coast and when you look back you see the charming, cultured, vertically built up city along the harbor. Boston is much more expensive, in my frank opinion-- it's so worth it. I love that city to death.

We all have different preferences I suppose you could say and mine have trimmed Philadelphia off indefinitely. So to summarize: no, I wouldn't ever freely choose to live in Philadelphia. At least not until the other 87 options in the world have been exhausted.
You have a good taste in cities but you are underrating Philly. Philly is Boston's closest sibling. They have very similar strengths, but Boston just does everything a little bit better. What's holding Philly back is crime, tremendous amount of blight and its notoriously parochial and provincial culture. But the negatives should not detract from its positives. Of which there are plenty. Its got one of the best city centers in the country filled with beautiful architecture, great neighborhoods and vibrant street life; its historical pedigree is second to none; it's got world class educational and cultural institutions; and while we've been criticizing its public transit it is still easily among the best in the country. So I strongly disagree that it's an average city. Overall I place it solidly at #7 in the US. Cities like Miami and San Diego (which I know you like) might have some attributes that are superior to Philly but for overall urban qualities and offerings Philly is on another level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World