Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Barcelona 36 78.26%
Philly 10 21.74%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:49 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think Copenhagen is the bee's knees, but I see what you're saying about Boston though Boston is a lot less fun and bustling even when we're talking about an overall level. Copenhagen is something ridiculously quaint and functional and though Boston wins for importance to the global economy, by other metrics Copenhagen blows Boston out of the water and is just generally a much better place to live. The infrastructure is far better (by a huge leap), the old architecture is that much older and more elegant and the new architecture is amazing. Food, produce, restaurants, nightlife, etc. are better in Copenhagen than in Boston and there's generally a lot less inequality, poverty or crime in Copenhagen than Boston. Added to that is that people are just generally friendlier (and more attractive, better dressed).

Also, if we're taking that kind of metric, then we should probably be paring down all US cities in their comparisons to cities elsewhere as the same factors are in play in pretty much all US cities.
Oh I don't know that I would agree that Copenhagen blows Boston out of the water. I've been to Copenhagen just once -- and it is no doubt a lovely city with a highly sophisticated population -- but it didn't impress me as a city that runs laps around Boston. I would say they are roughly in the same league and, if anything, slight edge to Boston overall. Copenhagen probably gets the edge in vibrancy (Boston doesn't have anything like Stroget, though it might have better neighborhood vibrancy -- Copenhagen seemed awful quiet once you left the central area) and in nightlife. But on other metrics Boston can more than hold its own. Copenhagen's rail transit is good but not particularly dense. In the city center the coverage is pretty mediocre and the total ridership of Metro and S-train combined barely breaks 500k/per day -- roughly equal to the Boston subway. Copenhagen's infrastructure is obviously much newer and in a better condition but Boston has better coverage. Overall I'd say it's a push. When it comes to culture, Boston has some world class institutions, more so than Copenhagen. Ditto for education. As far as restaurants, Boston's restaurant scene is quite terrific, spanning a range of cuisines and reasonably priced. I have never had a bad meal in Boston. In Copenhagen restaurants seemed obscenely overpriced (which is why Danes dont go out nearly as much as we do) and while I can't say much about quality I would be shocked if it matched (let alone surpassed) Boston, even discounting the price difference.

So yeah... we can argue nuances on the various metrics but I think these cities definitely belong in the same conversation and on the whole Boston does pretty well in the comparison.

I would also disagree that Copenhagen is a much better place to live. But that's another discussion.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Oh I don't know that I would agree that Copenhagen blows Boston out of the water. I've been to Copenhagen just once -- and it is no doubt a lovely city with a highly sophisticated population -- but it didn't impress me as a city that runs laps around Boston. I would say they are roughly in the same league and, if anything, slight edge to Boston overall. Copenhagen probably gets the edge in vibrancy (Boston doesn't have anything like Stroget, though it might have better neighborhood vibrancy -- Copenhagen seemed awful quiet once you left the central area) and in nightlife. But on other metrics Boston can more than hold its own. Copenhagen's rail transit is good but not particularly dense. In the city center the coverage is pretty mediocre and the total ridership of Metro and S-train combined barely breaks 500k/per day -- roughly equal to the Boston subway. Copenhagen's infrastructure is obviously much newer and in a better condition but Boston has better coverage. Overall I'd say it's a push. When it comes to culture, Boston has some world class institutions, more so than Copenhagen. Ditto for education. As far as restaurants, Boston's restaurant scene is quite terrific, spanning a range of cuisines and reasonably priced. I have never had a bad meal in Boston. In Copenhagen restaurants seemed obscenely overpriced (which is why Danes dont go out nearly as much as we do) and while I can't say much about quality I would be shocked if it matched (let alone surpassed) Boston, even discounting the price difference.

So yeah... we can argue nuances on the various metrics but I think these cities definitely belong in the same conversation and on the whole Boston does pretty well in the comparison.

I would also disagree that Copenhagen is a much better place to live. But that's another discussion.
Yea, we definitely came out with very different impressions. I don't get the feeling that Boston's neighborhoods overall were more vibrant or that Boston had better rail transit (whatever the case with that, Copenhagen certainly doesn't favor the automobile--just bikes and bikes everywhere and also a far better bus system; also 24 hour weekend service on the metro are nice). I understand the factor about world class institutions when talking about MIT and Harvard though that doesn't seem to affect my judgment of the city all that much. And yea, I definitely felt the food in Copenhagen was significantly better across the board (and a bit pricey as just about everything was) and I didn't notice any difference in terms of people eating out though there was definitely a difference in people going out with everything open much later and venues more active in Copenhagen than in Boston. I'd be pretty excited for Boston to take a lot of cues from Copenhagen and to do it better.

As far as being a place to live, Copenhagen's tax rates are very high but you do get what you pay for. Probably better to be uberwealthy in Boston, and then from then on down it starts to favor Copenhagen more and more.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 01-29-2013 at 02:40 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 02:47 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,987,349 times
Quote:
It is a US issue, do you understand?
LOL no. The bays crime is the bays issue and we will figure this out sooner hopefully than later until then thank Moses our crime rates not out of control. I would ground my eyes to the floor in embarrassment if my city had a rate of 21/100k but thank the good graces of god that we dont.

kthnx.
Quote:
It's just flat out stupid.
k. Fair deal, fair deal. Oyo making some unbiased points, I'll consider what you said but no promises, k?

Alright Oyo, been a pleasure talking to you, tuck yourself in bed and enjoy your ridiculously safe city because thank god youre not dealing with 21/100k bruh. Heart goes out to you and your fam.

Last edited by scrantiX; 01-29-2013 at 02:55 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
LOL no. Phillys crime is Phillys issue. The bays crime is the bays issue and we will figure this out sooner hopefully than later until then thank Moses our crime rates not out of control. I would ground my eyes to the floor in embarrassment if my city had a rate of 21/100k but thank the good graces of god that we dont.

kthnx.

Yes the Philly boosting is flat out stupid to borrow your words.
I guess you have no comprehension about how crime in the US works. Pushing crime from one part of the metro to another or simply trying to push people out of the metro entirely is not a real solution. Our treatment of the whole issue is idiotic and there's just a wonderful number of people to keep that inertia. "Boosting" cities is ridiculous and each major US city has a good number of them on this forum and it's great that the same kind of myopic, unthinking stupidity exists on the other end of the spectrum for those out to take down another city as possible. Tweedle dum and tweedle dee. Fisting cousins or something.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 AM

Quote:
I guess you have no comprehension about how crime in the US works. Pushing crime from one part of the metro to another or simply trying to push people out of the metro entirely is not a real solution. Our treatment of the whole issue is idiotic and there's just a wonderful number of people to keep that inertia. "Boosting" cities is ridiculous as a whole and each major US city has a good number of them on this forum.
Why should we care where criminals get pushed out to?

If you asked me kick them all out of this country and send them to some depressed place in Africa where they will appreciate what they had in the US. I dont sympathize for criminals. So sorry you do.

Its not a comprehension problem, I understood what you and rovian said, big deal, blah blah blah crime rawr! Let them price out and leave and go to their greener pastures where they can run amuck with all the crime they want. Not my problem and not San Francisco's problem at that point. There's your formula, one city safer at a time.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Why should we care where criminals get pushed out to?

If you asked me kick them all out of this country and send them to some depressed place in Africa where they will appreciate what they had in the US. I dont sympathize for criminals. So sorry you do.
That or like stop criminals from being formed and rehabilitate the ones that exist like other countries in the developed world. Yea, that or kick them out. Our exporting of US gang culture has done wonders for Central America and has not at all ever backwashed into the US. I'm pretty impressed by your line of thought.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:05 AM

Quote:
That or like stop criminals from being formed and rehabilitate the ones that exist like other countries in the developed world. Yea, that or kick them out. Our exporting of US gang culture has done wonders for Central America and has not at all ever backwashed into the US. I'm pretty impressed by your line of thought.
Why rehabilitate and reeducate those that are hopeless cases?

I'm sure you likely donate to the salvation army and volunteer at the soup kitchen too right?

I am not like you. TBH you can consider it inhumane or just flat out ignorance, IDC, but the solution of pricing out crime is fine with me. They leave the SF Bay Area and run amuck where they belong, a place far away from here, etc. It's a natural part of life Oy, they had their chance to be decent human beings, are you really suggesting folks that murder or rape should be given a second chance?

Just the thought of a second chance for those sickos is appalling. Theyve killed someone, theyve taken away someones innocence, someones mom, dad, sister, husband, wife. How could you ever forgive someone like that? They deserve what they get, a life sentence or living their lives in some far away place away from a decent civilized community.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:12 AM

886 posts, read 1,562,884 times
Quote:

I'm sure you likely donate to the salvation army and volunteer at the soup kitchen too right?

I am not like you. TBH you can consider it inhumane or just flat out ignorance, IDC, but the solution of pricing out crime is fine with me. They leave the SF Bay Area and run amuck where they belong, a place far away from here, etc. It's a natural part of life Oy, they had their chance to be decent human beings, are you really suggesting folks that murder or rape should be given a second chance?

Just the thought of a second chance for those sickos is appalling. Theyve killed someone, theyve taken away someones innocence, someones mom, dad, sister, husband, wife. How could you ever forgive someone like that? They deserve what they get, a life sentence or living their lives in some far away place away from a decent civilized community.
That's why as a country we invest in their futures. We teach them to be civil and give them a sense of direction before they become criminals. That's what they've done in Canada and that's what they're doing in the UK. The crime rates and gun owner ships speak for themselves.

A healthy society never turns anyone away from the help they deserve.

ScrantiX, investing in a child's future from the very start wields positive results for their future. That's a fact.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAXTOR View Post
That's why as a country we invest in their futures. We teach them to be civil and give them a sense of direction before they become criminals. That's what they've done in Canada and that's what they're doing in the UK. The crime rates and gun owner ships speak for themselves.

A healthy society never turns anyone away from the help they deserve.

ScrantiX, investing in a child's future from the very start wields positive results for their future. That's a fact.
Do you really think its possible for a country thats turned this much into a warzone to clean itself up in a generation?

Are you ever appalled by what you see in the news? Does rape and murder ever not strike a nerve with you? Or am I the only one that has big issues with this? How could anyone ever downplay crime and pretend it doesnt exist the way Philadelphians do, to them its just about getting their 50 praises by their lackies on this forum. To me its deeper than that, what do you tell the kids that wont ever see their parents again? Moms that become widows... how do you even help them from the trainwreck that is to become the rest of their lives?

Your solution is long term, where the US is today it would take a few generations for that to kick in, these things dont happen overtime. I agree we should influence kids from the start to aspire for better futures but whats your solution for the short term?

Crime in the SF Bay Area is out of hand as it is, there are neighborhoods I would never go in, every time I see those criminal decutive filistines and their ghetto trash inhumane look in their eyes makes me want to spit in their ugly faces. I couldnt ever stand living in a place with higher crime than this TBH, it would drive me mad. This is bad enough, Philly, Detroit, Camden, etc.... now youre just crossing the line.

Criminals know what theyre doing Blaxtor, they deserve no sympathy. They deserve to rot in hell where they belong, whether its a prison or on a deathbed paying for those whose lives theyve destroyed. They dont belong in this world, they belong in the ghetto trenches they slithered out of, venomous snakes, deserve to be beheaded.

Last edited by scrantiX; 01-29-2013 at 03:30 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 AM

Quote:

Your way of simplifying this is pretty much why we're screwed. The Salvation Army and volunteering at soup kitchens are palliatives and people who would disagree with how myopic your position is aren't going to always fall into that camp. Bad people don't just appear out of nowhere. Criminals aren't made from magic gollums and generalizing criminality as the work of "sickos" and stopping there without much thought or research would be wonderful if it had ever worked. The kind of underlining assumptions about someone who disagrees with you being made here (prevention and rehabilitation is equal to excusing crimes or being unsympathetic to victims? does that not sound like another ridiculously stupid thing to have written?) is illustrative of how much some people completely misunderstand crime/criminality in the US. Well, enjoy your cycle of violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.