U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:31 AM

770 posts, read 710,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
I'd love to know which country the OP is from where there's no racism any more.

I have experience racism in Japan. I didn't like it. I felt really angry that men thought that a pass would be welcomed because as a Westerner I'm a sl*t. I didn't like people assuming I was dirty and wouldn't know how to behave in polite society before I'd even opened my mouth or greeted them.

I feel like it gave me the barest inkling of what may people feel in countries dominated by my race.
Never been myself, but know people who have only good things to say about Japan.

Are you sure your'e not the problem here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,539,021 times
Laws, since you haven't been there and are only relying on peoples secondhand information regarding Japan, why suggest its Wild Colonial Girls problem? Isn't it possible she ran into some creepy people there? It doesn't mean everyone is like that. How many times did this happen to you, and in what kind of situations, WCG? They do say Japanese women are frequently groped on the very crowded subway cars. There are creeps and idiots everywhere.

I wish people would just stop talking and talking about these things. Hopefully as people continue to mix color won't be such a big issue. Some people just won't let go and that's on both sides and that's the problem.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:50 AM

71 posts, read 89,346 times
In some places of Europe this is a very common phenomenon.
Just need to say that this happens only with no-brainers, or people who feeling hatred.
Once in Brussels i was called a "dirty christian dog", don't know what s the purpose is of this but
this scared me.

We are all the same, in the end the intelligence takes it over. No place for people who are making distinction between other
people. We are 2013!Unfortunately it isn't always like that, but i think this will go over in the future.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 AM

15,722 posts, read 34,848,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Where do you people place Spanish people from Spain: White or Hispanic?

I wonder because here we don't have those categories (in the same way I mean) and I am not sure.
People from Spain would be white.

Generally, Hispanic mostly refers to the indigenous mix that you'd see common in Mexico, Guatamala, Peru, etc.

It seems to be a tough one for white Cubans though, who are generally more Spanish-white, but equally fits into that 'Hispanic' box that they could check as well.

Spain itself is a clear white though. Middle Eastern people are also white - Lebanon, Iran, etc.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:39 AM

233 posts, read 303,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Generally, Hispanic mostly refers to the indigenous mix that you'd see common in Mexico, Guatamala, Peru, etc.

It seems to be a tough one for white Cubans though, who are generally more Spanish-white, but equally fits into that 'Hispanic' box that they could check as well.

Spain itself is a clear white though. Middle Eastern people are also white - Lebanon, Iran, etc.

Spanish in the US are classified as Hispanic by the US Census Bureau. Most check the Hispanic box to receive grants, scholarships, etc.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:51 AM

233 posts, read 303,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Where do you people place Spanish people from Spain: White or Hispanic?

I wonder because here we don't have those categories (in the same way I mean) and I am not sure.

Worse than that, we have 17 categories..... not to mention economic categories.
There are 10 or more fake racial categories based on last names and inbreeding.
We have countless "languages with ethnical identities"...from ceporro to bable oriental, cazurro de valle abajo, etc.
Humans don't need skin colours to criminalize their brethen.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,649,410 times
I have always considered myself white and everyone here does, but it seems that saying that in other countries seems wrong lol.

Gargamel: so funny you forgot the new ones: chonis canis poligoneros yeah

Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 PM

8,390 posts, read 10,000,889 times
Quote:

Trust me if there is a Middle Eastern box available to pick from, most Middle Easterners if not all would not pick the White/European box. No offense but you lumping the entire Middle Eastern region as one monolithic white race is sort of like racism in itself.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Status: "Its beginning to look a lot like..." (set 13 days ago)

4,798 posts, read 7,549,677 times
Quote:

I think Spaniards are seen as Hispanic, which is the correct term, but in the US it does has a twist, since Americans tend to be suspicious of white looking Hispanics. This is mostly due to what comes out of Latin America, many white looking people that Americans would not consider white because many Americans think the white Hispanic has to be mixed.

So, when a white Latin American or a white Spaniard appear, guess what happens? Yeup, they are expected to check the Hispanic box and not the White non-Hispanic, even if they are whites from Ukrainian and, I don't know, Croatian immigrants that moved to Argentina before she was born.

Heard enough stories similar to this to know that this is a major issue among some Spaniards living in the US. So much so, they make a big effort in letting people know that they are not Hispanic, but Europeans. In the mean time, white Latin Americans consider this as proof of the racism in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World