Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:47 AM

195 posts, read 350,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyy View Post
Racism against Whites is probably the strongest in South Africa. Many Blacks there blame Whites for all their failures and they believe Whites are wealthier because they've stolen something. The ANC (main SA party) drives this kind of racism crazy, so Whites are often being murdered or robbed in their own houses. All those stories are just horrible.
Yeah I heard that from white south africans but they never tell you the other side of the story.

White South africans never tell you blacks who were a majority(70%)were not allowed to vote until 1994.

They don't tell you blacks were removed from their city homes and move to lands outside the city, blacks were treated as illegal aliens, blacks were required to carry passports in the cities, and were criminalized for dating white people or doing businesses in white areas. Blacks had inferior education (students in black schools received 1/16 of what the white kids received) they rode on separate buses and many other atrocities (too mant to name them all) that happened in South Africa before 1994.

I don't think it's logical to expect perfect racial relationships when 1994 was just around the corner. Besides things were stolen(homes, public funds and rights). The way you wrote this post tells me you know little about the Apartheid era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Where do you people place Spanish people from Spain: White or Hispanic?

I wonder because here we don't have those categories (in the same way I mean) and I am not sure.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:14 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,216,052 times
We place Spain Hispanic, its obvious anyone with light skin is considered white...

Old 01-29-2013, 04:48 AM

233 posts, read 449,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Exactly, shop for blacks runned by blacks, white people are not allowed to buy there, but this wasn't in Harlem but in Spain, in a town with many immigrants.

If you have a shop in Spain geared to Africans, it's NORMAL to have an African. First place, language. Most Africans get around in French/English/Pidgin or Spanish if from Guinea, customs, etc.

It's just like those Chinese shops in Carrer Trafalgar in Barcelona, all the attendants are Chinese because all customers are Chinese, or restaurants/locutorios owned by peope from Pakistan where most customers are from Pakistan, you need someone that speaks Urdu, etc, etc.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:

I wonder because here we don't have those categories (in the same way I mean) and I am not sure.

Catbelle

I'm Spanish and I lived some years in the US. It depends, for example, for some weird reason they always thought I was a foreign student from Holland, and I had a friend from Bilbao that was always tagged as Jew, another from Galicia was tagged as "Greek"....another from Galicia was tagged as German, etc.

I even knew a Flamenco dancer from Zamora that was entirely Germanic in appearance, it was real strange to watch her dance passing as a Gypsy dancer from Seville.

Since white "Hispanics" (including Spanish) are a scant minority there, except in some areas in NY and South Florida, we are "bichos raros", strange sights, but as a general rule you can tell white Hispanics apart inmediately since most of them are originally from Galicia. Spanish and their descendants have their own mafia in NY, I think they control Garbage trucks, but there are few of them and most marry Irish, Italian or Jew.

In South Florida you also find a lot, a lot of Spanish-born people too, most coming from Latin America, for example, all the Spanish in Venezuela with some money are in Miami.

Last edited by Gargamel10; 01-29-2013 at 05:11 AM..

Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Hispanic, since white "Hispanics" barely exist in the US, European Spanish and white Hispanics are bundled up with the rest. It would be like if Spain tagged English as "Pakistanies" because most English speakers in Spain are from Pakistan. The US is a religious country and the Black Legend clings on their culture, according to the Black Legend, Spanish are "swarthy and cruel" people, not white.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
I asked because sometimes I notice that some of my American friends don't feel the difference between a Spaniard and a Latin American... or they call Spanish to someone from, for example Colombia.
But when I travelled to South Florida people talked in English (latinos I mean) to me, I suppose because phisically I look European (and I am) but when I spoke Spanish they were more or less surprised and we changed the language.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
You get pri*ks in every race, but many good and honest people to.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I asked because sometimes I notice that some of my American friends don't feel the difference between a Spaniard and a Latin American... or they call Spanish to someone from, for example Colombia.
But when I travelled to South Florida people talked in English (latinos I mean) to me, I suppose because phisically I look European (and I am) but when I spoke Spanish they were more or less surprised and we changed the language.

Catbelle

It depends, in Miami there are many white Hispanics ranging from Jews to Germans, but most from Gallego ancestry. In Miami, they will speak Spanish to most people, except if you look very "guiri", just my case. Not the case of Orlando, for example.

People in large resorts speak English, for example, if you go to Cancun to a All-inclusive hotel, they will speak English to everybody because most tourists are American. They do that even in some resorts in Mallorca and Torremolinos.

There are almost no Spaniards in the US except in NY and Miami, so traditionally, Spanish is anything from Latin America. In fact, most Spaniards in the US come by the way of Latin America. In some areas such as Key West, Tampa and Louisiana there are areas that were settled by Canarians and they still speak Spanish, but their "Spanish" food is very similar to Cuban/Canarian food, or Cajun food in Louisiana. Also a small group in Taos, NM, living there since Carlos III packed them there in 1770.

I have met people that have been living in the US during more than 140-240 years that still speak Spanish. Their Spanish is usually Canarian, sounds like Spanish from the Canary Island/Cuba/PR.

Last edited by Gargamel10; 01-29-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 02-02-2013, 01:27 PM

5,356 posts, read 5,134,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyy View Post
Racism against Whites is probably the strongest in South Africa. Many Blacks there blame Whites for all their failures and they believe Whites are wealthier because they've stolen something. The ANC (main SA party) drives this kind of racism crazy, so Whites are often being murdered or robbed in their own houses. All those stories are just horrible.
So South Africa still has apartheid, it's just the blacks doing it towards the whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World