Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:52 AM

256 posts, read 452,470 times

Advertisements

When whites are systematically denied jobs, decent housing, business/home loans, routinely profiled by law enforcement, forced to send their children to underfunded and underperforming schools, verbally and physically abused for being in the "wrong" neighborhoods, and have the statistics to prove that it happens, then we can have an honest discussion about what constitutes racism.

Until that time, please stop with the crying and whining. A black person saying something that might've hurt your feelings doesn't mean they are racist and only proves that you have no idea as to what real racism is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
news media personalities in Brazil and other Hispanic countries, .
Brazil is not a hispanic country. Latin, but not hispanic.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
I am white, and I've traveled to almost every country in Africa. On many occasions, I went a week at a time without ever seeing another white person. I can't recall a single incident in which I felt that I was discriminated against because I was white. In fact, there were instances in which I felt uncomfortable because I thought I was being afforded some favoritism, but that might have been because I was perceived as relatively rich, which also tends to generate unearned privilege. There might have still been some old-school Africans who felt that the white man was deserving of a superior station, but I never felt that I was ever regarded as beneath the Africans. Nor did I ever feel that I was being held accountable for any historical misdeeds of my ancestors.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:09 AM

520 posts, read 1,514,797 times
In Western and Central Europe the "anti-white" racism seems more subtle and not directly related to skin or hair colour as it might be the case in the U.S. or South Africa. It is more an anti-Western or anti-European type of racism or discrimination. So, some highly racist thugs here of e.g. Middle Eastern descent won't say "****ing White people" as a slur but instead "infidels", "porc-eaters", "dishonorable Germans/British/Dutch/French/Swedish" etc.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 PM

409 posts, read 957,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Many, many African-Americans and Hispanics are very racist against whites. I speak Spanish fluently and am often confused for Hispanic, and all the time I am getting, "Man, I'm glad you ain't white, I f*&%ing hate white people."
The term Hispanic has been challenging to define as the definition can vary. In the US the term most commonly refers to people who are from cultures where Spanish is the dominant language,countries that were colonized by Spain, and people south of the US border down into South America. Many Americans probably include Brazilians in the mix because well frankly many of my fellow Americans were asleep or not interested in social studies or history.

Are Hispanics very racist against Whites?

That's news to me:

Consider this...

Nearly half of the interracial marriages in the US were between Hispanics and Whites.

Consider the Mission District in San Francisco. It's a majority Hispanic neighborhood not only frequented by Whites who dine at the various restaurants and cafes but live in the area as well.

California, The most populous state in the US, will be a majority Hispanic population by 2014 (probably already is). Is the news media hiding something? Where is the significant racism against Whites?

New Mexico already is a state with a majority minority population and Texas will follow in the not too distant future.

There is apprehension from some Whites about the growth of Hispanics in the US and some try to drive a wedge with all sorts of claims.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post
When whites are systematically denied jobs, decent housing, business/home loans, routinely profiled by law enforcement, forced to send their children to underfunded and underperforming schools, verbally and physically abused for being in the "wrong" neighborhoods, and have the statistics to prove that it happens, then we can have an honest discussion about what constitutes racism.

Until that time, please stop with the crying and whining. A black person saying something that might've hurt your feelings doesn't mean they are racist and only proves that you have no idea as to what real racism is.
Actually, that's still racism. It's just racism by people who don't have the societal power or demographic numbers to persecute the objects of their disdain. Doesn't mean it's not still racism.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 PM

256 posts, read 452,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Actually, that's still racism. It's just racism by people who don't have the societal power or demographic numbers to persecute the objects of their disdain. Doesn't mean it's not still racism.
It's only racism if the comment has racial connotations behind. Reading some of the post in this thread people are complaining of racism because some black person looked at them funny.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakerfreak View Post

Please see the majority of Asian countries.However, they do this to foreigners in general. It is not the majority of life in Asia but it exists. It is life, we all need to do things to fix it or move on.

In most modernized countries, racism has been curved outside of vocal minorities. If you are referring to events that took place 50+ years ago (Outside of S. Africa) then you need to get over it. This was your grandparents or parents who experienced this to some degree or perhaps you if you are old enough. However, now this is simply not the case in the majority of the world.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM

794 posts, read 1,409,074 times
I'd love to know which country the OP is from where there's no racism any more.

I have experience racism in Japan. I didn't like it. I felt really angry that men thought that a pass would be welcomed because as a Westerner I'm a sl*t. I didn't like people assuming I was dirty and wouldn't know how to behave in polite society before I'd even opened my mouth or greeted them.

I feel like it gave me the barest inkling of what may people feel in countries dominated by my race.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
I'd love to know which country the OP is from where there's no racism any more.

I have experience racism in Japan. I didn't like it. I felt really angry that men thought that a pass would be welcomed because as a Westerner I'm a sl*t. I didn't like people assuming I was dirty and wouldn't know how to behave in polite society before I'd even opened my mouth or greeted them.

I feel like it gave me the barest inkling of what may people feel in countries dominated by my race.

I have experienced it slightly when in Japan. Normally I just act the opposite of what they expect. My wife is always with me, but they assume she is American and does know understand Japanese. She is in fact first gen Japanese so it is really fun when she tells the person off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World