U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,631,767 times

Advertisements

Maybe this thread may sound weird for some of you but I think it can be quite interesting as people usually consider racism only agains "blacks" and nobody talks about racism agains whites.

In my country there aren't racism problems any more, except the typical crazy problematic social groups (NeoNazis, LatinKings etc) but since we have more variety of population I feel things are changing a little bit.

In the last years I've felt some signs of racism agains whites. For example my friend was fired from a black shop because he was white and he couldn't buy anything. When I went to visit Harlem I was not welcomed at all specially in the subway, etc.

So what do you think about this issue? Have you experienced it? Are the roles changing?

When I say white people I mean ALL white people: white Europeans, South Europeans, Australians, white Americans etc, pale skin.

I hope this thread will bring us a positive and interesting information. Far from problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 AM

410 posts, read 494,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
In the last years I've felt some signs of racism agains whites. For example my friend was fired from a black shop because he was white and he couldn't buy anything. When I went to visit Harlem I was not welcomed at all specially in the subway, etc.
If this is your evidence of growing racism towards whites, dare I say you're getting a little ahead of yourself there. New York is a fast-paced city. They were probably just annoyed by your foreignness.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Never really encountered this... Ive only been to visit Florida and was treated with the utmost courtesy by black shop assistants, and in diners...etc.. I found them very friendly and warm people... even some we met at the theme parks were keen to find out about Scotland when they heard our accents and asked loads of things.. very friendly... Whether its different in other parts I dont know.. maybe some are wary of whites and with good cause it seems in certain cases.. Watched a wonderful programme on TV last night. with Harry Belafonte, talking about the politics over there, opened my eyes and what a lovely man..

Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,631,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
If this is your evidence of growing racism towards whites, dare I say you're getting a little ahead of yourself there. New York is a fast-paced city. They were probably just annoyed by your foreignness.
Being annoyed by foreigners who are not disturbing is also negative, I don't mind to have foreigners in my streets or sitting in the subway next to me, no reason... Plus they can't know if I am foreigner or not.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:36 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Racism definitely does go both ways. And I dare say black on white racism is usually more tolerated.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 AM

1,044 posts, read 1,543,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Being annoyed by foreigners who are not disturbing is also negative, I don't mind to have foreigners in my streets or sitting in the subway next to me, no reason... Plus they can't know if I am foreigner or not.
An American woman told me that she can actually tell if a person is American, not by the color of one's skin, but how they are dressed, the brands of their outfits, etc. Also, not sure what your experience is, but New Yorkers often have this "get out of my way" attitude. It's not racist, because they're equally rude to everyone!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:53 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
An American woman told me that she can actually tell if a person is American, not by the color of one's skin, but how they are dressed, the brands of their outfits, etc. Also, not sure what your experience is, but New Yorkers often have this "get out of my way" attitude. It's not racist, because they're equally rude to everyone!
I'd like to test her under lab conditions, lol.

Old 01-22-2013, 05:23 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,474,558 times
And here was me thinking Benettons etc were all over the world....

Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,467,029 times
Many, many African-Americans and Hispanics are very racist against whites. I speak Spanish fluently and am often confused for Hispanic, and all the time I am getting, "Man, I'm glad you ain't white, I f*&%ing hate white people."

Old 01-22-2013, 06:48 AM

149 posts, read 257,661 times
Racism against Whites is probably the strongest in South Africa. Many Blacks there blame Whites for all their failures and they believe Whites are wealthier because they've stolen something. The ANC (main SA party) drives this kind of racism crazy, so Whites are often being murdered or robbed in their own houses. All those stories are just horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World