U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,191,108 times
Reputation: 5622

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I may be wrong but I thought that currently London was the 'hub' of world trading?
NYC is the undisputed financial capitol of America, which makes up 28% of the world's economy (largest in the world). Sorry if that wasn't clear in my original post.

 
Old 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Near Tours, France about 4710'N 025'E
2,877 posts, read 3,846,995 times
Reputation: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Tokyo, Paris, Shanghai, Beijing, possibly even Hong Kong and Seoul are hot on the heels of the two big ones. Tokyo actually beats them in some areas, like metropolitan GDP, population size, while Paris gets more visitors, but the difference, I feel, is cultural. And the biggest of those is the fact that these two cities are English speaking, and English is the global lingua franca. They are the only two world cities that feel like 'the world in a city' IMO. France is still very French, Tokyo very Japanese and Shanghai very Chinese.

Do you think this is what separates them from the pack? Their ability to get into the minds and dreams of the global populace? Paris was once London's cultural equal or better, but the French cultural Empire has declined. The idea of French as a global language is laughable now.

Do you think Anglo cultural dominance and language are the main reasons these two cities still dominate, and are still classed as Alpha++? Will ANY city catch up to them in the next 15-20, 40 years?
I think it is the reverse. It is the economic dominance of the Anglo world since the end of the 19th century (Firtly UK and then the USA after WW1) that had made Anglo culture dominant. It is not because Anglo culture is better to the others that have made New York and London world cities.

Also, you said that France is very french, Tokyo very Japanese, etc... But you know what? For us, non-Anglo people, London and New York are very Anglo the same way you find Paris very french...

You might answer that NY or London have multiples ethnicities and such, very true, but that is not different to the case of Paris (with the difference that most non-white in Paris tend to live in suburbsn which might lead some tourist to think that Paris is a "ethnically french" city, while it is cosmopolitan. The different lies in the fact that in NY or London, the peoples of foreign origins melt into a Anglo cultural context while in France they do it in a french one.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,781,463 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Tokyo, Paris, Shanghai, Beijing, possibly even Hong Kong and Seoul are hot on the heels of the two big ones. Tokyo actually beats them in some areas, like metropolitan GDP, population size, while Paris gets more visitors, but the difference, I feel, is cultural. And the biggest of those is the fact that these two cities are English speaking, and English is the global lingua franca. They are the only two world cities that feel like 'the world in a city' IMO. France is still very French, Tokyo very Japanese and Shanghai very Chinese.

Do you think this is what separates them from the pack? Their ability to get into the minds and dreams of the global populace? Paris was once London's cultural equal or better, but the French cultural Empire has declined. The idea of French as a global language is laughable now.

Do you think Anglo cultural dominance and language are the main reasons these two cities still dominate, and are still classed as Alpha++? Will ANY city catch up to them in the next 15-20, 40 years?
I actually have no interest in visiting any of those Asian cities? Want to know why? Well:

1. Too far away.
2. Culture is very foreign and i'm not good with foreign cultures.
3. Not western.
4. Language barrier.
5. History promotes New York not Shanghai? Infact your gonna laugh but I didn't hear about Shanghai until last year lol!

So there alot to do with Language barrier and history, also the fact that theres lots to do in those cities whereas other cities are just massive concrete blocks.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,781,463 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I get it but I don't. What exactly is Anglo culture ?
And I have a feeling that LA is probably the most depicted place in a film. Well maybe 'budged' films.
White (yes I know there are black and mixed race english speakers but in general it is white) english speaking culture.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,781,463 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
I will not say of the 'world', since some few countries follow other paradigms and others - for instance, those which apply the sharia - reject completely the anglo culture. But they are, in fact, a minority.
They still follow part of our cultures:

Dubai, Airbus is European.
Apple Iphone - American.

etc
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,781,463 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
The U.S. accounts for 28% of the total world economy (largest in the world) and NYC is its financial capitol. This explains why when Wall Street opens its mouth, the entire world listens.
First off it is Capital.

And you are incorrect, London is the worlds Financial Capital and it has been for years. Unless of course you are talking about the United States.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,781,463 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
OK. Well London isnt the unique place it was in the 60s and 70s. I just find it another large generic city now. Skyscrapers and other post 1980 buildings look exactly the same as every identikit Asian city, family owned shops killed off, just dull dull dull.
I'm sorry but London does not look Asian AT ALL. I have visited before, there actually aren't that many skyscrapers. The likes of Hong Kong has 1000 skyscrapers London has like 50 at the most I believe. London is still a small (inside - buildings) british characterised city.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,781,463 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I think it is the reverse. It is the economic dominance of the Anglo world since the end of the 19th century (Firtly UK and then the USA after WW1) that had made Anglo culture dominant. It is not because Anglo culture is better to the others that have made New York and London world cities.

Also, you said that France is very french, Tokyo very Japanese, etc... But you know what? For us, non-Anglo people, London and New York are very Anglo the same way you find Paris very french...

You might answer that NY or London have multiples ethnicities and such, very true, but that is not different to the case of Paris (with the difference that most non-white in Paris tend to live in suburbsn which might lead some tourist to think that Paris is a "ethnically french" city, while it is cosmopolitan. The different lies in the fact that in NY or London, the peoples of foreign origins melt into a Anglo cultural context while in France they do it in a french one.
I'm sorry to sound Obnoxious but that is what attracts foreigners to our cities. They see it on the TV and then think 'oh that must be great' and go from there.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,191,108 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
First off it is Capital.
Thanks grammar cop.

Quote:
And you are incorrect, London is the worlds Financial Capital and it has been for years. Unless of course you are talking about the United States.
Yes, for the third time I was talking about the United States. A little slow on the uptake, I see.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,560 posts, read 22,112,444 times
Reputation: 10555
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I actually have no interest in visiting any of those Asian cities? Want to know why? Well:

1. Too far away.
2. Culture is very foreign and i'm not good with foreign cultures.
3. Not western.
4. Language barrier.
5. History promotes New York not Shanghai? Infact your gonna laugh but I didn't hear about Shanghai until last year lol!

So there alot to do with Language barrier and history, also the fact that theres lots to do in those cities whereas other cities are just massive concrete blocks.
How did you grow up with one single language to learn yet still haven't come to grips with it? I never understood that about some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top