U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-17-2013, 05:34 PM
 
558 posts, read 531,388 times
Reputation: 166

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
So you say, but it's none of your business. As long as the majority of people in that country want to retain it, there is no problem.
Who are you to say what's my business and what isn't? If something is wrong I will call it out, and monarchy is wrong.

 
Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Aventura FL
868 posts, read 929,778 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Who are you to say what's my business and what isn't? If something is wrong I will call it out, and monarchy is wrong.
That's your opinion. Nothing more.

I personally don't feel strongly either way about it, but there's a lot more to worry about in this life that would be deemed "undemocratic" such as the influence of lobbyists, for example.
 
Old 02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
 
558 posts, read 531,388 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
This isn't a pissing contest between London and New York. If you want to start a pissing contest, create a new thread.
No one's pissing over here.
 
Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Reputation: 35864
London and New York are the only cities that in the last half a millennium have been "the richest city in the world" -- with an abundance of wealth to invest in the infrastructure of being the world leader.

It's where the money is, and the money attracts culture.
 
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Aventura FL
868 posts, read 929,778 times
Reputation: 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
No one's pissing over here.
I suggest you try to read the title of the thread before you post next time. It's not a London vs. New York thread, it's actually a thread questioning why both cities have such huge influence and if there's a possibility of other cities catching up.
 
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 PM
 
558 posts, read 531,388 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
That's your opinion. Nothing more.
So is slavery nothing more than opinion too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I personally don't feel strongly either way about it, but there's a lot more to worry about in this life that would be deemed "undemocratic" such as the influence of lobbyists, for example.
It appears that you do feel strongly about it because you can't accept that it's wrong and undemocratic.
 
Old 02-17-2013, 05:46 PM
 
558 posts, read 531,388 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
I suggest you try to read the title of the thread before you post next time. It's not a London vs. New York thread, it's actually a thread questioning why both cities have such huge influence and if there's a possibility of other cities catching up.
This coming from the guy who changed the subject and tried to paint me as a UK hater. Maybe you should follow your own criticism.

And, is it against the law to point out a mistake?
 
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Westminster, London
878 posts, read 1,119,405 times
Reputation: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
London has some advantages, and New York City has some advantages. I just don't see how what you posted accounts for other reporting and rankings that says London is behind NYC.

Financial centre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia



What Is the World's Most Economically Powerful City? - Richard Florida - The Atlantic

London lags New York as world financial capital - MarketWatch

New York ousts London as world financial capital | The Sunday Times
All your points here are addressed either in the thread I've linked or in points made here.

Namely:

1. The arbitrariness of indexing financial centers purely by number of jobs.
2. The concept of the financial center and how, in its proper usage, it is different to the idea of centers of commerce, GDP etc.
3. Stock exchanges as a thing of the past.

Indeed, as Hombre warned, what is the point in attempting rational debate if you simpy disregard your counterparty's arguments altogether?

Last edited by MissionIMPOSSIBRU; 02-18-2013 at 12:34 AM..
 
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,578,689 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dony1982 View Post
It depends which sector are you considering :


Capital for International Politics: New York
Capital for Banking: London, Hong Kong
Capital for Manufacturing: Shanghai
Capital for Automobile Manufacturing: Detroit, Shanghai, Stuttgart
Capital for Software: Silicon Valley
Capital of Mobile Technologies: Silicon Valley
Capital for Insurance: Amsterdam, Tokyo
Capital for Aerospace: Paris, Washington
Capital for Space Exploration: Moscow
Capital for Wind Power Generation: Copenhagen
Capital for Oil Exploration: Houston
Capital for University Education: Boston, Ox-Bridge
Capital for Gaming : Monaco, Las Vegas
Capital for Entertainment: Los Angeles
Capital for Fashion: Paris
Capital for Shoes: Milan
Yea... Back to nyc and london.
 
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,167 posts, read 6,013,471 times
Reputation: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Who are you to say what's my business and what isn't? If something is wrong I will call it out, and monarchy is wrong.
So its wrong because......you say it is!! By the way modern monarchy is NOT un-democratic, the people of Britain have a royal family because a majority WANT a royal family, you do realise dont you that modern monarchy is kind of like a 'tourist attraction' and that political power lies with the democratically chosen government. Most Britains like having the monarchy because of the pomp and ceremony of it all, and if you think about it wherever the Queen or William or Harry etc go they are generally 'mobbed' and that includes the US, who in fact in some aspects seem even more fascinated by the whole Monarchy thing than the British are!! Just because YOU don't like something doesn't make it wrong! Personally Im not over fussed either way but getting rid of the Royal Family when a MAJORITY of people want to keep them would be the un-democratic thing to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top