Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 05:39 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How did you grow up with one single language to learn yet still haven't come to grips with it? I never understood that about some people.
Please allow me to correct your correction: "How is it that you have grown up with a single language to learn yet still haven't come to terms with it? I have never understood that about people like you.

Word to the wise: If you're going to be pedantic enough to correct the grammar of others, learn the language yourself first.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:05 PM

70 posts, read 106,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's a fact, not an opinion. I myself sometimes wish things weren't so Anglo-dominated.
MDR=)
Sorry but I watch the Italian, Spanish, French, Portuguese and Russian media and the world isn't near to be anglo-dominated ,only because the Anglophone media is so Anglocentric doesn't mean that the world really is, by the way if you want to see real influences you should know that actually 30% of the vocabulary in English is actually French ,and I can see too much influence from "Le siècle des Lumières" in every aspect of contemporary societies, like democracy, secularism or laisez-faire.

Last edited by dony1982; 02-17-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM

I really thought that you were talking about Athens, Rome or Paris.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
London and New York have history, cultural contribution, infrastructure, being the centre of the world many times through history, fashion, music, arts, finance centres, many rich residents, diversity, the English language, centres of strong military powers etc, etc, etc. More reasons than not to make them the undesputed most influential cities on earth, even if you don't like them theres no denying it.
I really thought that you were talking about Athens, Rome or Paris.

"I speak Latin to God, Italian to musicians, Spanish to women, French at the Court, German to my servants and English to my horses."
-- Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Ok.................. still doesn't change the fact that New York and London are at the top of the tree in more sectors than any other city.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM

It depends which sector are you considering :

Capital for International Politics: New York
Capital for Banking: London, Hong Kong
Capital for Manufacturing: Shanghai
Capital for Automobile Manufacturing: Detroit, Shanghai, Stuttgart
Capital for Software: Silicon Valley
Capital of Mobile Technologies: Silicon Valley
Capital for Insurance: Amsterdam, Tokyo
Capital for Aerospace: Paris, Washington
Capital for Space Exploration: Moscow
Capital for Wind Power Generation: Copenhagen
Capital for Oil Exploration: Houston
Capital for University Education: Boston, Ox-Bridge
Capital for Gaming : Monaco, Las Vegas
Capital for Entertainment: Los Angeles
Capital for Fashion: Paris
Capital for Shoes: Milan

Last edited by dony1982; 02-17-2013 at 05:05 PM..

Old 02-17-2013, 05:18 PM

557 posts, read 673,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
We've gone over this ad nauseam in other threads. For example, you can check out this post; and the rest of the thread too, regarding the definition of the term financial center, as per its accepted usage in the industry, and why London is the global hub for finance:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/world...l#post27598618

Also, Bale's post below is the most representative of the perception in the financial services industry:

This cartoon is also interesting as to the factors behind the pre-crisis boom in London's financial services, as compared to NYC:

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/ma...pagewanted=all
London has some advantages, and New York City has some advantages. I just don't see how what you posted accounts for other reporting and rankings that says London is behind NYC.

Financial centre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
But in contest for one metro to rule them all, New York takes the crown as the most economically powerful metropolitan, according to my assessment of five recent comprehensive rankings of global cities. London is second, followed by Tokyo and Chicago.
What Is the World's Most Economically Powerful City? - Richard Florida - The Atlantic

London lags New York as world financial capital - MarketWatch

New York ousts London as world financial capital | The Sunday Times

Old 02-17-2013, 05:24 PM

557 posts, read 673,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
@ Mission: just bear in mind you're responding to someone who doesn't like the UK and will bash anything UK-related. So forget rational debate. It's not even worth it.
Speak for yourself. I like the UK, just don't like the monarchy institution because it's undemocratic.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:30 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Speak for yourself. I like the UK, just don't like the monarchy institution because it's undemocratic.
So you say, but it's none of your business. As long as the majority of people in that country want to retain it, there is no problem.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:31 PM

868 posts, read 1,122,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
London has some advantages, and New York City has some advantages. I just don't see how what you posted accounts for other reporting and rankings that says London is behind NYC.

Financial centre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What Is the World's Most Economically Powerful City? - Richard Florida - The Atlantic

London lags New York as world financial capital - MarketWatch

New York ousts London as world financial capital | The Sunday Times
This isn't a pissing contest between London and New York. If you want to start a pissing contest, create a new thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World