U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Interesting. I wonder why so many Uruguayans are moving across the River Plate.

In any case, I came across this:

Paradise Uruguay Blog: Changes in Uruguayan Immigration Office Residence Criteria

which seems to indicate that Uruguay is making it more difficult for prospective immigrants, unless their policies have loosened again during the past year.
Uruguay's relationship with Argentina is very similar to that of Canada and the USA. Canada was a perfectly fine country to live in, but ambitious Canadians wanted to go to the much larger and diverse US for better career opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 03:36 PM

195 posts, read 285,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrlwhit03 View Post
We are a non-conventional family of four seriously entertaining the idea of immigrating from the U.S. (Please, no responses calling us deserters, traitors, etc. . . . you're welcome to your views, but I don't want to hear them.)

Here's our family stats. I know it's almost too much information, but I know that the fact that my mother and I have semi-serious chronic illnesses might make us "undesirable" to some countries, and is relevant information.

I'm a 28-year old self-employed transcriptionist with SLE/Discoid Lupus.
My husband is a 30-year old CAD Drafter with 8 years experience after his Associates Degree in Drafting.
My mother is a 59-year old Buyer for a Fortune 1000 company with Diabetes/Charcot's Foot.
Then we have my son who is an 8-year old bundle of energy with fall/winter Asthma who loves to play his Wii.

We don't have savings, we don't have much equity in our home, and few other assets. We're fed up with so many things, and are seriously considering walking away from the U.S. of A. and starting over somewhere new.

However, when I search online for information about easy places for Americans to immigrate to, of course all I'm finding is for retirees. What about families? Does anyone have any suggestions of countries that I might research that would welcome our non-conventional family of four that needs to maintain a lower cost of living, yet not be a hell-hole where we'd fear for our lives every day?

I appreciate anyone's time that looks at this!
I think you are crazy.

As crappy as the USA sounds sometimes, you won't find the same opportunitues in other countries. I think it's better to work 35 years here and get Medicare I am from a south american country and while I love the laid back urban culture there I know I couldn't make a decent living there. With the money I get here I can consider even retiring in another country.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 PM

16 posts, read 44,295 times
Some people prioritize a high quality of life over money or material goods. The USA has fallen so low it is rather heart breaking to see how many people work 12 and even 16 hour days just to make ends meet. Add that to the stressful unhealthy car centric junk food lifestyle( unless you live in the few pedestrian friendly overpriced cities with equally overpriced organic supermarkets like Whole Foods), inaccessible and astronomically expensive health care system, exorbitant costs for attending relatively poor quality universities( excluding Ivy League),poor rights for workers( no maternity leave or paid vacations unless you're lucky) And a pathetic minimum wage..Add all this and most South American countries start to seem like appealing choices considering they are much less stressful and offer much healthier lifestyles

Old 01-23-2013, 04:27 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,258,885 times
Quote:
Secondly, and almost as important, I'm absolutely terrified of where this country is headed. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I feel another Civil War is imminent. I hate our President and the politics in this country, and I really think we'd be happier living in a smaller country. I know that means we'll have to give up a lot of the luxuries that this country offers, but that may be a sacrifice we're willing to make.
About a decade ago, I decided I would try to become an uninterested bystander to the day to day US political process. I still vote in each election and make an educated choice, but I don't watch debates, read newspaper articles about the latest political fights, and refuse to watch political news channels. I keep up with the basics by reading articles about how law changes will affect my life, but normally only on financial sites. I have found I was able to distance myself from day to day politics, keep informed on what is going on in our country, and not be stressed about one political side or the other. I have found it has made my life better and less stressful, maybe that could work for you.

When friends or acquaintances bring up politics I let them say there peace and give a non-commital answer. That usually ends that portion of the conversation and we can move on to soemthing more interesting.

I have found that every country in the world has its own problems and after I learn more about these countries I realize that they are all pretty messed up, just like us. I actually believe we may be a little less messed up.

Anyway, just something to think about.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM

21,010 posts, read 25,794,422 times
By the way, when you leave, you aren't immigrating. You are emigrating.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,080,844 times
Quote:
We are a non-conventional family of four seriously entertaining the idea of immigrating from the U.S. (Please, no responses calling us deserters, traitors, etc. . . . you're welcome to your views, but I don't want to hear them.)

Here's our family stats. I know it's almost too much information, but I know that the fact that my mother and I have semi-serious chronic illnesses might make us "undesirable" to some countries, and is relevant information.

I'm a 28-year old self-employed transcriptionist with SLE/Discoid Lupus.
My husband is a 30-year old CAD Drafter with 8 years experience after his Associates Degree in Drafting.
My mother is a 59-year old Buyer for a Fortune 1000 company with Diabetes/Charcot's Foot.
Then we have my son who is an 8-year old bundle of energy with fall/winter Asthma who loves to play his Wii.

We don't have savings, we don't have much equity in our home, and few other assets. We're fed up with so many things, and are seriously considering walking away from the U.S. of A. and starting over somewhere new.

However, when I search online for information about easy places for Americans to immigrate to, of course all I'm finding is for retirees. What about families? Does anyone have any suggestions of countries that I might research that would welcome our non-conventional family of four that needs to maintain a lower cost of living, yet not be a hell-hole where we'd fear for our lives every day?

I appreciate anyone's time that looks at this!
The first thing that caught my attention is your family's medical history and your inability to speak other languages.
Have you ever considered SINGAPORE?
They speak English, and they have good medical facilities.

When I was a kid I had asthma - chronic one. However, anytime I went to Singapore (I still have relatives there), it disappears. Of course this is due to probably the tropical climate that they have there.

Almost 40% of people living in Singapore are expats, so you and your family won't feel alone. And asians have proclivity to respect older people. So in this case I am thinking about your mom.

But I urge to do more research before uprooting your whole family to a new environment. It wont be an easy adjustment! When I was a kid, I moved alot (due to my parent's work) and it is not fun I am telling you. (Indonesia - Germany - Hong Kong - Italy).
When I turned 18 I told my parents enough is enough. So I just settle here in the US with them visiting me once or twice a year when they get a chance.

And BTW Best of luck!
Keep us posted!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:00 PM

9,033 posts, read 8,378,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Have you ever considered SINGAPORE?
Based on the requirements, I don't think any of them would qualify.

Singapore Immigration Visa & Work Permit Schemes | Employment Visa, Work Pass Schemes

Old 01-25-2013, 02:31 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,593,001 times
Why would you leave the usa? Are you foreal?

If you dont like your state goto a totally different state,

Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 AM

189 posts, read 305,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Why would you leave the usa? Are you foreal?

If you dont like your state goto a totally different state,
Because life here is not what its all cracked up to be in the media, especially for the growing poor and shrinking middle class.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:30 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,937,634 times
Since there seem to be some medical problems, I think you should look for somewhere that is inexpensive and has GOOD national healthcare to be honest with you. Somewhere big enough with a varied economy too.

A lot of the best ones are European and semi expensive countries, or they are just expensive period (i.e. Japan).IMO, I would check out Canada. THey have a pretty good health care system (better than the US) and their economy is varied enough where you can find work. Costa Rica is nice (REAL laid back), but would your husband have trouble finding work in drafting there? There's a good chance..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or