U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-05-2013, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
27 posts, read 47,690 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

When I think of an American, I picture either a tall white guy, or a tall black guy.

I don't think much about weight or fashion, just height.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,227,537 times
Reputation: 4399
Awhile ago I was travelling in Nicaragua and I met a bunch of people at a hostel and we would go out together for food and drinks. There was me, Canadian, a couple of Germans, a British girl, a Portuguese guy, and an American. Now I GET that this was a total fluke, but the American was always the guy to be like "DO YOU GUYS HAVE FRENCH FRIES?!?" "I WOULD LIKE THIS MORE WITH GRAVY!!!" "AWWWWWW YEEE".

It's just funny in retrospect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:08 PM
 
261 posts, read 424,777 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Awhile ago I was travelling in Nicaragua and I met a bunch of people at a hostel and we would go out together for food and drinks. There was me, Canadian, a couple of Germans, a British girl, a Portuguese guy, and an American. Now I GET that this was a total fluke, but the American was always the guy to be like "DO YOU GUYS HAVE FRENCH FRIES?!?" "I WOULD LIKE THIS MORE WITH GRAVY!!!" "AWWWWWW YEEE".

It's just funny in retrospect.
Sounds like your other friends sounded like a real bore. What they dont like friend fires where you come from ? Wrong to ask for gravy ? And was it "AWWWWW YEeeAAAAA" or "Yee" I just cant hear a "Yee".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 PM
 
261 posts, read 424,777 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How did we get from Americans to talking about who's rightfully British and who isn't?
My threads go every where. I kinda lost focus around page 7 myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 04:11 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,167 posts, read 6,010,671 times
Reputation: 4787
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Actually not. Ordinarily I wouldn't get involved in the silliness of people who are clearly sub-20, but this is just ridiculous. And, if you had an education, you'd understand how. I don't care whether "native" British people are defined as Celts, Picts, Scots, Angles, Saxons, or Normans (did I leave anybody out?), they share a common feature ... wanna guess what that is?

Let me turn this argument around. If I told you, by the same logic, that Afrikaan Boers are "native" to South Africa, would that ring true for you? More to the point, would you have a remote clue what I'm talking about?
Yes I consider Afrikaan Boers as 'native' to South Africa, in fact I think you will find that they consider themselves 'native' to South Africa too, humans have always migrated throughout history, its only a question of how long you think an ancestorial lineage needs to gow back in a particular region that defines if somebody is 'native' or not - after all you could argue that we are ALL natives of Africa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 AM
 
25,060 posts, read 22,101,322 times
Reputation: 11576
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes I consider Afrikaan Boers as 'native' to South Africa, in fact I think you will find that they consider themselves 'native' to South Africa too, humans have always migrated throughout history, its only a question of how long you think an ancestorial lineage needs to gow back in a particular region that defines if somebody is 'native' or not - after all you could argue that we are ALL natives of Africa!
Specifically, we're all natives to Ethiopia, as far as we know at the present time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,989,494 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Yes I consider Afrikaan Boers as 'native' to South Africa, in fact I think you will find that they consider themselves 'native' to South Africa too, humans have always migrated throughout history, its only a question of how long you think an ancestorial lineage needs to gow back in a particular region that defines if somebody is 'native' or not - after all you could argue that we are ALL natives of Africa!

Do you think that the whole world is in the middle of the largest population shift in the history of mankind? I think we are and it will only get bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,688 posts, read 34,684,028 times
Reputation: 9224
I always thought we were all suppose to have blond hair, blue eyes, and shiny straight teeth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Reputation: 14671
they look like very scary people:


David Bowie (feat Nine Inch Nails) - I'm Afraid Of Americans - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
How exactly? You claim that 'white' people are native Britains and 'black' people are not - thats quite a statement, how many 'white' people in the UK can trace their ancestory back to the 'ice age' like you say? My family has 'Spanish' connections does that mean that because I have 'Spanish' uncles I cannot 'claim' myself to be a native Britain!?? what about my cousins who have a Spanish father but British mother, grandparents, great grandparents, aunts and uncles? Are they 'native' Britains or does the fact that there is a Spaniard somewhere along the line mean they also are not allowed to claim to be 'native' Britains? How many people in Britain do you think have nothing but a 'British' bloodline? 5%, 10% if that even! Now I ask again, are you basing your claim on 'native' Britains on colour of the skin only?

Get over it black people are not native to britain they are native to africa.

Most african british people recognise that themselves. Accept it, your children are part african. Its nice to have exotic heritages you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top