U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,111,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
A few years back, I was on a cruise and there were quite a few Canadians on board and it was easy to spot them. Each one had on a tee shirt that proclaimed "I AM CANADIAN".
Americans used to do that when they travelled to Europe. Or they'd sew a Canadian flag to their backpack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,452,416 times
Ok now you could just say white people are native to Europe. Is a White German native to Britain simply because of the skin colour?

And saying blacks are 'exotic' sounds weird.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM

261 posts, read 424,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Ok now you could just say white people are native to Europe. Is a White German native to Britain simply because of the skin colour?

And saying blacks are 'exotic' sounds weird.
'You know how your so tempted but there are just some conversations even I try an avoid.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:46 PM

9,992 posts, read 9,452,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
'You know how your so tempted but there are just some conversations even I try an avoid.
True but I can't read odd posts and not stick my nose in it annoys me kinda.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
I am not commenting any further on the issue. Always in this country get these people saying "everybody originates in africa blala" yes that was 6000 years ago- those people are long gone. My family are originate in scotland- apparently they came over from normandy in 1016 I do not believe that, I generally believe that all families came over from europe earlier than that. I have other scottish surnames which apparently origininate in norway- ok whatever.

But anyhow, the simple matter is- white protestant, anglophone people are native to the british isles. (Majority) black people are not- their ancestry is from africa.

You can tailor that whatever way you like to try and say that black british people have british heritage, but the fact of the matter is that they dont. They have african heritage and a haplogroup test will prove that by showing markers in africa not europe.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 PM

14,805 posts, read 16,983,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Americans used to do that when they travelled to Europe. Or they'd sew a Canadian flag to their backpack.
I wouldn't generalize, those are just Americans with self-esteem issues.

Many of us could care less about what people think about us.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM

9,972 posts, read 14,017,847 times
Americans look like this:

TypicalAmericanFamily

Canadians look like this:

TypicalCanadians

Nothing alike as you can see...

Old 02-09-2013, 02:32 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,998,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I am not commenting any further on the issue. Always in this country get these people saying "everybody originates in africa blala" yes that was 6000 years ago- those people are long gone. My family are originate in scotland- apparently they came over from normandy in 1016 I do not believe that, I generally believe that all families came over from europe earlier than that. I have other scottish surnames which apparently origininate in norway- ok whatever.

But anyhow, the simple matter is- white protestant, anglophone people are native to the british isles. (Majority) black people are not- their ancestry is from africa.

You can tailor that whatever way you like to try and say that black british people have british heritage, but the fact of the matter is that they dont. They have african heritage and a haplogroup test will prove that by showing markers in africa not europe.
What about the black Irish?
with jet black hair and blue eyes.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
What about the black Irish?
with jet black hair and blue eyes.
Some people have told me that those are the descendants of the survivors of the infamous Spanish Invincible Armada which the Spanish often refer to as the "Invisible Armada".

Old 02-09-2013, 03:10 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,785,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Some people have told me that those are the descendants of the survivors of the infamous Spanish Invincible Armada which the Spanish often refer to as the "Invisible Armada".
FWIW, I mentioned to a couple Irish coworkers that I'd dated a black Irish girl in high school back in Boston, and they were surprised. "There aren't too many blacks in Ireland," they responded thoughfully.

Guess it's not really acknowledged or qualified much in Ireland, according to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or