U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 03:38 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,182,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I CAN!!!!!!!

Im lost. I honestly have no idea on what your saying(Sounds like your trying to hijack my thread). I do but I don't. I only say this because I have never meet a Canadian myself. Their must be difference--im sure their are. Their was one guy who sat in on a photo shoot I had maybe two years ago and he just sat in the back and he seemed relatively normal in the sense that he could speak but iuuno I didn't speak to him myself.

I was expecting so much more because im sitting here in CA and I honestly do not see as many fat people as people make it out to be. Or maybe people are just over extravagating it. Fat older women and some pudge here and there but you guys are just blowing it out of proportion as if were your from their are NO fat people.
I usually can't tell the difference between Canadians and Americans unless I pay attention to their accents, and only sometimes.

It depends a lot where you are in the US. Didn't see that many fat locals in say, New York or Boston, but PLENTY in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 04:14 AM

11,269 posts, read 12,491,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I CAN!!!!!!!

Im lost. I honestly have no idea on what your saying(Sounds like your trying to hijack my thread). I do but I don't. I only say this because I have never meet a Canadian myself. Their must be difference--im sure their are. Their was one guy who sat in on a photo shoot I had maybe two years ago and he just sat in the back and he seemed relatively normal in the sense that he could speak but iuuno I didn't speak to him myself.

I was expecting so much more because im sitting here in CA and I honestly do not see as many fat people as people make it out to be. Or maybe people are just over extravagating it. Fat older women and some pudge here and there but you guys are just blowing it out of proportion as if were your from their are NO fat people.
Not trying to hijack your thread, friend. The differences between us are not physical, that's for sure. With the list of all the nationalities I made, to me, that's what an American looks like. Any one of those. It's a good thing...don't worry man.

I just threw in the picture, as a joke, because generally these types of threads are only created by those looking to start an America bashing **** storm, and I thought that's what you wanted lol.

I didn't say anything about fat people. But nobody blew it out of proportion. Regardless of what YOU see on the street, the statistics don't lie. Canada is fat too. So are the Brits and Aussies posting here as well. (not the individuals themselves lol)

Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 AM

878 posts, read 1,120,419 times
Sorry but Canadians are nowhere near as obese as Americans. The CDC findings for 2007-2009 show obesity prevalences of 34% vs 24% for both countries.

I would say most westernised countries seem to be developing a bimodal distribution -- among women in particular -- when it comes to body weight, with women gravitating to either one extreme (mild-morbid obesity) or the other (the size zero/glamour model types). However, this seems to be most extreme in the USA out of all English speaking and Western European nations.

There's little doubt that this disparity -- a two-tier value system by which women are judged in public perception -- lies at the root of the rather blunt and irrational feminist agenda in western countries to demonise even healthily skinny girls -- despite obesity related disorders causing far more morbidity and mortality for women in the long term.

Last edited by MissionIMPOSSIBRU; 01-25-2013 at 05:02 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 09:54 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,597,756 times
I fail to see how anyone can tell the difference between a white american and a white brit or a white canadian or white australian for that matter.

You can't.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM

147 posts, read 246,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I fail to see how anyone can tell the difference between a white american and a white brit or a white canadian or white australian for that matter.

You can't.
Not really but on the odd occasion you can. You can always spot an Irish bloke - at least here in Oz you can as they stand out next to the buff Aussies like the proverbial dogs ba*ls! They have a look generally pasty/blue-ish white, un-toned and not generally the most attractive, and always, note ALWAYS will be wearing a hideous GAA (Garlic football or hurling) jersey (note I am Irish, female and equally pasty white - even though I have lived in Oz for years *grumble*

English blokes - at least the ones in their early 20's will be wearing a Man U soccer jersey and have very short hair, possibly a tattoo and be skinny, smoking, and have a pint of lager permanently attached to their hand.

I would never be able to guess if someone was Canadian, but for some reason I can often tell if someone is American, I don't know what it is, Chevy Chase and fat camera-toting tourist jokes aside, there's just something about Americans you can spot. Maybe it's the beige chinos, navy Polo Ralph Lauren shirt and boat shoes? Neat hair and good teeth.

And you can normally tell a man if they are Aussie as they are ~ 7 times out of 10, tanned, gorgeous, tall and super buffed from all that surfing on Bondi Beach

Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,182,456 times
^ I've noticed a lot of Irish lads wearing those soccer jerseys lol. And yes, they do tend to be pasty white.

Americans tend to move around in big gangs and are loud (especially the women lol) so that's probably why they're easier to spot. I'm talking tourists of course.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 PM

261 posts, read 425,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post

You can't.
Well to open this thread up for futher discussion I would like to say that this does not have to revolve around white people. I am not sure on where you are from but I come from a very diverse community of blacks and white whom are all truly American. It was not until I read this at when I got the idea that when people thought of American=White. The majority sure but its a mix of it all that really makes it what it is today.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,597,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ I've noticed a lot of Irish lads wearing those soccer jerseys lol. And yes, they do tend to be pasty white.

Americans tend to move around in big gangs and are loud (especially the women lol) so that's probably why they're easier to spot. I'm talking tourists of course.
They arent soccor jerseys they are gaelic jerseys- which i hate as they are a symbol of republicanism. All of the catholics wear them round here just like the protestants wear rangers jerseys. When i go on holidays i never wear football jerseys as it is cheap and trashy. It just draws attention to you and id rather not be seen as a tourist. When in london my dad went round with a big camera taking pics every five secs, it was so embaressing.

It depends, if you seen me i dont think you could tell that i was from the island. I have a 3rd cousin in pa- every year they send us a christmas card with a picture of them on it. There is this one boy and he has ginger hair and blue eyes you would not think he was american at all- he looks pure irish- more than us.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:07 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,636,347 times
A mix of European looks, for me there isn't an specific look either, for example they can be blonde or dark haired, brown or green or blue eyes, etc, The same with skin colour, pale and dark skin...

Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,158,516 times
Americans cover a variety of looks. There is not a specific look and I was there on holiday years ago so seen them in person live. The americans I know as my forum friends and my online friend are very nice people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or