U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:50 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,593,001 times

Advertisements

I have to agree. When i went to palm beach there were literally no fat people. Ive seen more per km sq here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:25 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,407,465 times
As an American, I can pick out other Americans in a crowd if I were in, say, Europe. Not so much as to how they look, but more how they dress, act, and their general presence. There is not really a specific American physique, as we are possibly the most multicultural country on the planet, but it's easy to pick us out in a crowd.
On the flip side, I'm also really good at picking out foreign people in my own country BEFORE they even open their mouth.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:28 PM

147 posts, read 246,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Flipping stereotyping what aload of ****! Some brits unlike Aussies are more tanned (obviosuly) and the fact the british and irish will most often be more paler in colour is true but being skinny, smoking, pint of lager, tattoos, Australians being taller, super buff, etc.. is just generalizations. Though I do know where your coming from but still those points are not the rule. 21% of Australia's population is overweight and slightly higher at 23% for the UK.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health-fitness/australias-obesity-crisis-worsens-as-survey-shows-two-out-of-three-adults-overweight-or-obese/story-fneuz9ev-1226505251354

Two-thirds of Australians 'obese' - Telegraph#
LOL. Emmmmm you've totally missed the humour intended in my post. I was taking the mickey in giving totally OTT generalisations...

Of course I know not every Irish, English, American and Aussie bloke looks or presents this way and plenty of Aussies are obese and unhealthy. It was tongue-in-cheek. Light-hearted picture-painting.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:39 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,749 posts, read 39,655,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Well actually its pretty easy to tell the difference between a german/pole/franc/italian and an america. They look nothing alike.

It is hard to tell the difference between a brit and american.
Maybe from dress sense?

Odd, because of plenty of white americans have mostly continental European ancestry. German ancestry is the most common in the US, especially in Pennsylvania and the Midwest. Where I grew up the most common was Italian, though some British (more Irish than English).

Old 01-26-2013, 06:27 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,593,001 times
What is this american ldress?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:17 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,463,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesyd View Post
LOL. Emmmmm you've totally missed the humour intended in my post. I was taking the mickey in giving totally OTT generalisations...

Of course I know not every Irish, English, American and Aussie bloke looks or presents this way and plenty of Aussies are obese and unhealthy. It was tongue-in-cheek. Light-hearted picture-painting.
OK but nothing in that post indicated you were taking the 'mickey'

Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 AM

147 posts, read 246,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
OK but nothing in that post indicated you were taking the 'mickey'
LOL Are you serious? I guess you just don't get the notion of 'dry humour'.

On a side note ~ are you actually English? (Possibly from Southern England originally?)

Old 01-27-2013, 07:05 AM

9,992 posts, read 9,463,871 times
Err I'm a Afro-Caribbean living in London/southern England.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:20 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,533,179 times
Cool Before you accuse us, take a look at yourselves.

Americans from the U.S.A. seem to be the whipping child for the world it seems. We are labeled fat and lazy but I think if you take a good look at a crowd photo from many other nations you can pick out a lot of folks who would be considered obese, especially in Russia.
So many U.S.A. citizens are health and fitness oriented now, I think that the stereotyped "Fat American" hyperbole will fade away at some point.
Americans are jogging, biking to work, going to gyms, reading ingredients when food shopping, quitting smoking tobacco and knocking off the booze in droves these days.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:45 PM

5,050 posts, read 5,523,647 times
Hyperbole?

"By 2030, more than half of Americans could be obese, resulting in millions of new cases of diabetes, coronary heart disease, and stroke -- a constellation of illness that could cost the United States up to $66 billion in treatment and over $500 billion in lost economic productivity. " Link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or