U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 01:04 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Here are three girls I know of Chinese descent.

One was born in China. One was born in the US. One was born in Africa of all places. Can you tell which one was born where?

And, here are some male relatives of mine. One was born in the US. One was born in Sweden. One was born in the UK. Can you tell which one was born where?

One in middle is british. I bet.

Has that particular look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 01:11 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
So what your saying is that americans wear sports gear.

In the uk it is the opposite people are obsessed with looking good.
Um, No. Everything is regionalized in the US. Different areas have an average dress. The US is one of the largest countries in the world..to think that everyone is the same or most people are the same is fairly naive.

Some regions you'll find that, sure. But in the big cities, many people dress very well. Even if you go out, most clubs here have dress codes. They won't even let you in if you have tennis/sports shoes on and not either a collared shirt or something fashionable/nice. New York City is one of the fashion capitals of the world. You think everyone dresses in sports **** there? Get real. Not even close.

Can you find people who dress in sports ****? Sure, but they're usually in the smaller states. People in the bigger cities here are more fashion conscious (not everyone of course, but more often than not).

Old 01-28-2013, 01:43 AM

20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Thats what i thought. They were similar to the uk in palm beach, they wore respectful clothes. Whereas in north dakota they didnt really care haha.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:00 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,444,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't really think of Americans as having a specific look. The stereotypical American tourist, though, is overweight, wears bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt, camera around the neck, loud, perhaps kind of jovial and superficially friendly but perceived as lacking manners and being superior. I realise this is really a bad stereotype.

Goodness ALL Americans look like this and wears bermuda shorts AND a hawaiian shirt? I thought those were outlawed years ago

Old 01-28-2013, 02:01 AM

147 posts, read 245,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm glad you put that smiley face on there. I played in a volleyball league for a couple years. The only two ugly and out of shape guys were from Australia. You have 20M people in your country, we have 300M. For every good looking Australian there are probably ten Americans that are better looking. I know you Australians think quite highly of yourselves, but you ain't all that. Hardly. You just don't really matter in the world at all.
What an incredibly arrogant and up-yourself response. My original comments were completely tongue-in-cheek and light-hearted. Clearly you have zero sense of humour, let alone understand the concept of dry humour. I gather too you are neither tanned, gorgeous, tall nor super buffed, because if you were I doubt you would have replied with such a defensive, vitriolic rant.

First off I am not Australian, I am Irish and secondly you personally are doing nothing for the commonly shared world-wide notion all Americans are arrogant, rude, obnoxious as*holes. I am looking at moving to the US in 3 months, and was very much looking forward to it, however if you are a good example of what I will experience there, I'd rather stay in Oz, with a sense of humour and surround myself with fat Australian volleyball players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You just don't really matter in the world at all.
Thanks for pointing this out and thanks for taking a light-hearted chat and turning it into nasty, personal attack on Australians. *Shakes head in dis-belief*

Back to polishing your handgun.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:02 AM

Default Gasp!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post

That and all american women seem to look and sound like Ricki Lake.

I do not! I do not know of any female that sounds like Ricki Lake. Quite frankly I have forgotten what she sounds like

Old 01-28-2013, 02:08 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,783,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesyd View Post
What an incredibly arrogant and up-yourself response... My original comments were completely tongue-in-cheek. Clearly you have zero sense of humour, let alone understand the concept of dry humour. I gather too you are neither tanned, gorgeous, tall nor super buffed, because if you were I doubt you would have replied with such a defensive, vitriolic rant.

First off I am not Australian, I am Irish and secondly you personally are doing nothing for the commonly shared world-wide notion all Americans are arrogant, rude, obnoxious as*holes. I am looking at moving to the US in 3 months, and was very much looking forward to it, however if you are a good example of what I will experience there, I'd rather stay in Oz, with a sense of humour and surround myself with fat Australian volleyball players.

Thanks for pointing this out and thanks for taking a light-hearted chat and turning it into nasty, personal attack. Back to polishing your handgun.
Whooooooaa... let's all chill out now. Australia's cool man, Australia's cool!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 AM

An American can look like anyone, with different skin tones, different facial features, and speaking different languages. Body languages are probably more dominant and boisterous at best, and I can agree with the loud brazen talking

Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,011,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
I do not! I do not know of any female that sounds like Ricki Lake. Quite frankly I have forgotten what she sounds like
Looool, most of the females around here DO actually sound like Ricky Lake hahahahahaah!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,011,929 times
When I lived in the UK, everyone thought I was Scottish until I started talking. I look nothing like your status qo American looks like. Maybe it was the fact that I learned to just relax and not make a big deal about being American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or