Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 02:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't see that many obese people in LA or SF. When I drive to Vegas and walk around and see all the tourists from all over the US, I see more chunky folks - most of them from the South or the Midwest.
Yeah, exactly. The most obese people are from the SE, Texas or more rural areas of the midwest. In Chicago, I live "downtown" and a lot of tourists in the summer roam around here. I can ALWAYS spot who's the tourist from the US and it has nothing to do with how they look physically. It's how they dress. There's not many heavy people in my neighborhood. Most people are pretty fit or thin/lean. They dress pretty well, but when someone comes in here wearing a tshirt when they aren't exercising, you can tell they're tourists.

As far as the tourists from Europe or Asia go, you can't tell them apart unless they speak and it's an accent. Even then you don't know if they're living here or not. There's a lot of foreigners in the US living. If they have a camera around their necks, that's a bigger give away, but then again some of the professional photographers who live here do that too..so you pretty much never know. Even the people I referenced above could just be from the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 02:24 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Fat, with good teeth.

A few decades ago they all seemed to be tanned and wear white shoes.
LOL when I think of Australians I think of Fat with bad teeth!

I always am amused when Australians stereotype Americans as begin fat.. there was a study when it was revelaed they were even fatter than Americans..
It's official: we're fatter than the Yanks - Life And Style - BrisbaneTimes

Old 01-27-2013, 02:28 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Yes on The biggest loser USA, the fat people are always from the Mid-West.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:29 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,867,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, exactly. The most obese people are from the SE, Texas or more rural areas of the midwest. In Chicago, I live "downtown" and a lot of tourists in the summer roam around here. I can ALWAYS spot who's the tourist from the US and it has nothing to do with how they look physically. It's how they dress. There's not many heavy people in my neighborhood. Most people are pretty fit or thin/lean. They dress pretty well, but when someone comes in here wearing a tshirt when they aren't exercising, you can tell they're tourists.

As far as the tourists from Europe or Asia go, you can't tell them apart unless they speak and it's an accent. Even then you don't know if they're living here or not. There's a lot of foreigners in the US living. If they have a camera around their necks, that's a bigger give away, but then again some of the professional photographers who live here do that too..so you pretty much never know. Even the people I referenced above could just be from the suburbs.
Don't be daft now. Are you saying that British people look the same as Chinese people?

Thats actually quite insulting. (Don't dislike chinese people, just angry at the suggestion that we look Chinese).

Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Don't be daft now. Are you saying that British people look the same as Chinese people?

Thats actually quite insulting. (Don't dislike chinese people, just angry at the suggestion that we look Chinese).
He's refering to the US not the UK.

I assume he means that Asian tourists look little different from Chinese-Americans. Not sure if that's true, you can often tell by dress and mannerisms.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't see that many obese people in LA or SF. When I drive to Vegas and walk around and see all the tourists from all over the US, I see more chunky folks - most of them from the South or the Midwest.
Exactly. I've lived on the West Coast most of my life, and haven't seen hardly any fat people who weren't well into middle age.

Americans don't have a distinctive look. Some look Asian (which includes various types), some look African or Carib (again, not a homogenous look at all), some look Nordic, some look Italian, others--various types of Hispanic, to name just a few "looks". When I'm in Russia, everyone takes me to be a Balt (Latvian or Lithuanian). Seems odd to expect Americans to be represented by any one type.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post

Uh, I meant people who come to the US from Europe or Asia...you can't tell them apart from *Americans*

Old 01-27-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
He's refering to the US not the UK.

I assume he means that Asian tourists look little different from Chinese-Americans. Not sure if that's true, you can often tell by dress and mannerisms.
The point is that a lot of the tourists here from outside of the US look just like someone of that ethnicity who is "American." Even if I see someone who is Asian in my neighborhood, I have absolutely no idea if they're American or from Asia, for example. Same thing goes with Europeans. The other things are the things that set them apart. I.e. They have a giant camera hanging around their necks with a backpack on walking around. If they don't have something like that, it's impossible to tell.

If you really think about it...if even your grandparents came to the US from China, 2 generations is not enough to all of a sudden make you look like a white American. People do tend to marry people within their own "race" too, so this type of thing..your look won't change. You're still going to look "foreign." It would take a little bit before you start to look what people think of as white American.

Point is that a lot of Americans could pass as "foreign" and people who think there's a stereotypical American look haven't spent enough time here. There's people of all sorts of ethnicities here who are American. Even if we were talking about overall dress and what not, there's that too. There's people here that dress of all different styles.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:57 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
As an American, I can pick out other Americans in a crowd if I were in, say, Europe. Not so much as to how they look, but more how they dress, act, and their general presence. There is not really a specific American physique, as we are possibly the most multicultural country on the planet, but it's easy to pick us out in a crowd.
On the flip side, I'm also really good at picking out foreign people in my own country BEFORE they even open their mouth.
You are right about the dress, at one time you could always pick out Amercans by the casual way they dressed that was before global fashion. Now everyone looks the same.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM

261 posts, read 512,404 times
You know we could always step away from the ethnicity placement and actually talk about regional FASHIONS AND TRENDS. After all when a person is black, white, what ever one could never truly escape those things. It is how we INDIVIDUALIZE ourselves to fit into our surrounding areas is what separates ourselves from one another. What I described a few post back (fashion trend) is what you will find in most California males--primary from Silver Lake and outside of that state/city/region you will find no one else 'looks/dresses' in that manor. That is what truly sets up apart! That is how you can identity where someone is from. Heck I have even notice that NY gays dress differently from California Gays. Their is a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World