U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Melbourne 46 21.80%
Montreal 55 26.07%
Sydney 57 27.01%
Toronto 53 25.12%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 AM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Yeah its a dead precinct with about 5 greek businesses left (3 restaurants, music shop and cake shop), half of which arent even Greek owned anymore.

No surprise about Footscray, although that area was Vietnamese dominated decades ago, the suburb has always had a bad rep, im sure you have heard/seen the movie Romper Stomper which was set in Footscray starring Russel Crowe which focussed on Nazi Skinheads battling the local Vietnamese...that was an early 90s movie.
Yes, I think it's not as bad as people think, I mean there are panhandlers, druggies and stuff, as well as sometimes gangs of African youths (haven't had any problems so far) but I haven't really felt truly unsafe or anything so far.

Yes I have seen Romper Stomper. I wonder how many of that is still around. If so it would be fairly underground. The most I've seen was some guy making fun of the Vietnamese language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 05:01 AM

235 posts, read 327,392 times
Romper Stomper was probably grossly exaggerated even for the early 1990's. That kind of Neo-Nazi white supremacy would be very very rare these days as well.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:32 PM

16 posts, read 19,015 times
I prefer Toronto.

Reasons:
more skyscrapers
larger city
larger population

Although i love hot climate ( i am from Hong Kong), i do not like Australia or New Zealand as the locations of these contries are too remote.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:31 AM

Remote? People have been through this already. Australia really is not that remote:

Brisbane to Singapore = 7 hours
Darwin to Hong Kong = 5 hours
Adelaide to Auckland, NZ = 4 hours
Melbourne to Wellington, NZ = 3 hours
Cairns to Shanghai = 6 hours
Sydney to Tokyo, Japan = 9 hours

That is certainly not isolated.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 AM

In fact, most of the distance/travel time from Australian cities to major Asian cities is less than or equal to the travel time between New York City and London.

Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 AM

382 posts, read 508,623 times
It is all relative though. I love all the Asian getaways one can access from Australia! But when compared to say, Vancouver, the more remote part of Canada, which has the flight times as follows:

Amsterdam 9 hours
Auckland 13 hours
Hong Kong 12 hours
London 9 hours
Paris 10 hours
Sydney 14 hours
Tokyo 8 hours
New York 6 hours
San Francisco 2 hours

And for Toronto/Montreal, I could get to the city, even without a direct flight from Stockholm for roughly 10-11 hours including transfer time. I go there for few days trip from time to time. There are people who do weekend shopping trips in New York City. But it is relatively far from Asia though. I believe the flight from Toronto to Tokyo is upwards to 12-13 hours?

In comparison, I used to have to change 1-2 times and it would take me up to 30 hours plus to get to Sydney. In that sense it is is rather far and a bit isolated. Though I think with the Middle East Airlines it is getting much closer than it used to be.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 AM
BMI

6,516 posts, read 3,785,914 times
Toronto and Montreal are only 1 hr flight away from NYC and 1.5 hrs to Chicago
2.5 to 3 hrs from Florida cities, Orlando, Tampa, Miami
6 to 7 hrs flight to various major European cities, Paris, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Zurich, etc ...
just over 7 hrs to other European cities farther east, Rome, Vienna, Berlin, Copenhagen, etc ...

Also within a 5 hr flight to most cities in north America: Seattle, Los Angeles, Denver, Mexico City,
same with anywhere in Caribbean: Jamaica, Barbados, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, etc...

For most people flights over 6 to 7 hrs are tedious.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:08 PM

Unlike most of the other countries, Australia is a continent and a single country by itself, while New Zealand is just an island country which does not belong to any continents.
The east, west and south sides of the Australia-New Zealand region are just oceans and Antarctica.
That is why i always think Australia and New Zealand are remote or isloated.

Sorry, perhaps my post is offensive to the Australians and New Zealanders.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:24 PM

9,783 posts, read 15,328,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
It is all relative though. I love all the Asian getaways one can access from Australia! But when compared to say, Vancouver, the more remote part of Canada, which has the flight times as follows:

Amsterdam 9 hours
Auckland 13 hours
Hong Kong 12 hours
London 9 hours
Paris 10 hours
Sydney 14 hours
Tokyo 8 hours
New York 6 hours
San Francisco 2 hours

And for Toronto/Montreal, I could get to the city, even without a direct flight from Stockholm for roughly 10-11 hours including transfer time. I go there for few days trip from time to time. There are people who do weekend shopping trips in New York City. But it is relatively far from Asia though. I believe the flight from Toronto to Tokyo is upwards to 12-13 hours?

In comparison, I used to have to change 1-2 times and it would take me up to 30 hours plus to get to Sydney. In that sense it is is rather far and a bit isolated. Though I think with the Middle East Airlines it is getting much closer than it used to be.
Globally Vancouver is more isolated than Perth if you ask me. It takes you about 10 hours to go anywhere that isn't in North America, while we can be in Asia in about 3.

Old 02-05-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Globally Vancouver is more isolated than Perth if you ask me. It takes you about 10 hours to go anywhere that isn't in North America, while we can be in Asia in about 3.
Vancouver belongs to North America, a continent with over 500 millions populations. Also, North America is much closer to mainland Asia than Australia ( the north-western part of North America is almost connected with Asia).
With such a large continent of North America, it is impossibe to have all places built close to another continents.
Although Perth is closer to Asia than Vancouver, Australia is not a part of Asia.
Furthermore, Vancouver is close to a number of big cities in Canada (Calgary and Edmonton)as well as the US(Seattle, Portland and San Francisco etc) , while Perth is at least 2000 kms away from other big cities.
The population of British Columbia in 2011 is 4.4 millions, while Western Australia had only 2.5 millions in 2013 ( in British Columbia, even one single city of Vancouver, has 2.5 millions populations!) .
I do not aggree that Vancouver is more remote than Perth.

Last edited by Bob1101; 02-05-2014 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World