U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Melbourne 42 21.65%
Montreal 48 24.74%
Sydney 54 27.84%
Toronto 50 25.77%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 06:56 AM

381 posts, read 249,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This is a bit of a harsh post but it's also true that most Canadian cities (including Toronto) rested on their laurels for a couple of decades and did not invest much in their public "realms". As a result, things have gotten a bit dog-eared in a lot of places. As someone else said, winter is not necessarily the best time to appreciate the look of Canadian cities, unless perhaps there is a freshly fallen coat of bright, sparkling snow, followed by a sunny day that makes everything look shiny and clean. And this depends on the city as well - some cities look better in snow than others.
"...also true that most Canadian cities (including Toronto) rested on their laurels for a couple of decades and did not invest much in their public "realms".

If you are at all suggesting of the possibility that a change in the willingness to invest in the public realm will materialize in the near future, well, let's just say Kevin O'Leary (a canuck Trump). There remains in Canada a very powerful political movement against raising taxes and spending money on any enhancements to the public realm and other such 'frills'. Oh, lot's of 'studies' will be commissioned , many fancy renderings will be produced but what we'll get is the typical watered down canadian compromise or nothing.
I'm banking on nothing.

The old guard who are responsible for this under-investment still controls electoral politics and most of the wealth and I believe they still cling to their 'private wealth amid public squalor' creed. When the boomers die then maybe we'll get going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:16 AM

57 posts, read 17,898 times
Wow, I didn’t know this thread existed. I have lived in Sydney, Melbourne and Montreal. I spent some days in Toronto. My ranking would be:

1. Montreal - Sydney ( I love both cities, I prefer the vibe, the nightlife and the people in Montreal, but I prefer the lifestyle, scenery, weather and work opportunities of Sydney. Both cities are great!

3. Melbourne: it is like Toronto but better lol - great CBD and inner-city neighbourhoods, free public transport in the CBD, cool people and laneways, wealthy city (top-notch infrastructure, better than any of the other 3 cities)

4. Toronto: it is a nice city but I didn’t find it interesting, nothing had the “wow” factor, ok I give you the CN tower. It was dead on a Sunday. I think it’s a bit overrated. I hate their Subway (they still use tickets made from cardboard and someone from the staff has to validate it ) pointless lines too. Hate their streetcars too, it is so slow. Queen street is nice though - cool vibe

Last edited by usuariodeldia; Today at 08:25 AM..

Old Today, 08:58 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,276,385 times
Montreal or Toronto, but probably Montreal
Scenery
All are better than decent, I'll be a surprise and go with Melbourne because what it has within 100 miles beats the other cities IMO.
Climate
I don't mind cooler climates but Sydney's is the most classically ideal.
Urban layout
? Montreal I guess
Parks
Give me Toronto here, depending on definition of parks the other cities could* compete though
Public transport/road infrastructure
Not completely certain
Architecture
Montreal for old, Toronto for new?
Streetlife
Again not completely certain, but guessing Montreal or Melbourne
Entertainment/Nightlife
Sydney here. Dynamic feel matched by few places on earth along waterfront over to The Rocks/Darling Harbour/etc.
Dining/Cuisine
All have plenty of options I'm sure. Montreal likely has most unique local options though. Toronto best mix ethnic.
Culture (Museums, Art.etc)
Hmm.. All are pretty good, but I don't know that any would be head and shoulders above others. Possibly Toronto here? Local art is almost certainly Melbourne from what I hear.
People (Friendliness.etc)
I don't really consider people to be that much different from place to place.
Cost of living/Livability
I think Montreal is the most affordable. Melbourne generally wins on livability though I'm not completely certain of what makes it so.
Amenities
Which Amenities? Probably Toronto or perhaps Sydney, broadly speaking, but I'm not sure.
Tourist attractions
Sydney seems to be the most "tourist" centered and most famous attractions, Montreal is the most compact/walkable, Toronto probably has the biggest sheer number/diversity of attractions, and Melbourne is perhaps best for those searching for an authentic "living like a local" vibe, whatever that means.

Overall preference? I voted for Toronto. I really, really like all of these cities, but I don't know that on draws alone, there's one that has "so much more", than any others. If I was recommending one for a visitor, I'd probably say Sydney with the beaches right there, distinctive atmosphere, climate, relative compact feel, and I'd recommend Montreal as it satisfies at least some of the elements and atmosphere of a European city center but is much closer for North Americans. But, Toronto, I don't know how to define it, but even though there was crazy bustle, awesome vibrancy, attractions/architecture while there (not saying it isn't vibrant, as it is), but there's some sense of normalcy/home/etc. that I felt there moreso than in any of the other cities. I suppose it's because I grew up in Cleveland, but despite it at the regional population level now almost being a mega city, there was a comfort and calmness in a number of residential neighborhoods, being able to find quiet spaces in the ravines and islands right within the city, and there wasn't all that much of a pretense among the locals (not that there was in other cities, but still). I have to say it seems, much more than Chicago, like a larger version of Cleveland, if it had kept growing past it's 1920s peak to become an Alpha-type city. It also has a cool blend of a good amount of old and new, which I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or