U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Melbourne 46 21.80%
Montreal 55 26.07%
Sydney 57 27.01%
Toronto 53 25.12%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,653 posts, read 7,859,941 times
Reputation: 4748

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kielack View Post
I am from Montreal but I lived in all of these cities for a few years.

Sydney is the worst of all by far. Seriously, you can only like Sydney if you are a tourist.
Montreal and Toronto are amazing in summer, better than Melbourne because everything cost a lot less and food taste better, and restaurant are great.
But because of harsh winter in Canada, Melbourne have the lead.

ps Australia cost of living is going crazy.
I feel like one thing Montreal has going for it here is value. Toronto, Melbourne, Sydney - all insanely unaffordable for the average joe, especially for real estate. Montreal provides amazing quality of life for your dollar because COL is lower. The fact that not everyone knows French is I think what keeps the prices down, but if you speak it it's a wonderful bargain. This also keeps the inhabitants happier and less stressed out then in cities with more price pressures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 AM
 
3,325 posts, read 8,300,491 times
Reputation: 1873
I haven't been to Melbourne and I really want to, but I think I'd like that best out of the four. I've heard nothing but good things about Melbourne. I've been to Sydney, and it is a nice city, but I didn't get a good vibe from its people. They are a lot like Southern Californians. Canadian cities are nice, but too cold for me. I think I would prefer Montreal over Toronto because of the hot French-Canadian girls, but at least in Toronto I don't need to speak French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 41,934,195 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I haven't been to Melbourne and I really want to, but I think I'd like that best out of the four. I've heard nothing but good things about Melbourne. I've been to Sydney, and it is a nice city, but I didn't get a good vibe from its people. They are a lot like Southern Californians. Canadian cities are nice, but too cold for me. I think I would prefer Montreal over Toronto because of the hot French-Canadian girls, but at least in Toronto I don't need to speak French.
I experienced more shallowness, rudeness, and classicism in Sydney than anywhere else in Oz. I think it really buys into the 'big city mentality' and has that syndrome. Melbourne still likes to think of itself as a big village which separates itself from Sydney which thinks it's a major world city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:39 PM
 
4,454 posts, read 5,340,436 times
Reputation: 2146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I experienced more shallowness, rudeness, and classicism in Sydney than anywhere else in Oz. I think it really buys into the 'big city mentality' and has that syndrome. Melbourne still likes to think of itself as a big village which separates itself from Sydney which thinks it's a major world city.
I have lived in both Sydney and Melbourne and I have experienced just as much rudness, shadowness and classicism in both cities. I have lived in Sydney for 3 years and Melbourne for 5 years and I have made more friends in Sydney while I am living in Sydney than when I lived in Melbourne and making friends with the locals there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 41,934,195 times
Reputation: 11862
I wonder if people voting for Toronto just aren't familiar with the other cities and what they have to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2013, 10:15 PM
 
Location: BC Canada
831 posts, read 839,072 times
Reputation: 1115
From everything I've read and everyone I have talked to who has gone to Australia they all uniformaly prefer Melbourne.

As a Canadian, comparing Toronto to Montreal is much harder than comparing Sydney to Melbourne as the difference between Tor/Mon is much greater.

Montreal has an easy going, cafe culture, and historic beauty that Toronto will never have. Montrealer live to dress and eat well and live a very liberated lifestlye.

At the same time Toronto is a more interesting city with it's incredible diversity, the arts, cinema, politics, museums, interesting neighbourhoods, languages of every kind, all within a very hardcore jumbled urbanity yet it retains it's civility at the same time.........a unique combination.

I've heard Sydney is more like Vancouver.........beautiful on the outside but nothing in the middle. It makes for great photos but is more of a resort than a real urban centre. Of course it still is miles ahead of incredibly boring and parochial Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2013, 11:05 PM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,683 posts, read 41,934,195 times
Reputation: 11862
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
From everything I've read and everyone I have talked to who has gone to Australia they all uniformaly prefer Melbourne.

As a Canadian, comparing Toronto to Montreal is much harder than comparing Sydney to Melbourne as the difference between Tor/Mon is much greater.

Montreal has an easy going, cafe culture, and historic beauty that Toronto will never have. Montrealer live to dress and eat well and live a very liberated lifestlye.

At the same time Toronto is a more interesting city with it's incredible diversity, the arts, cinema, politics, museums, interesting neighbourhoods, languages of every kind, all within a very hardcore jumbled urbanity yet it retains it's civility at the same time.........a unique combination.

I've heard Sydney is more like Vancouver.........beautiful on the outside but nothing in the middle. It makes for great photos but is more of a resort than a real urban centre. Of course it still is miles ahead of incredibly boring and parochial Vancouver.
Good summation of Toronto and Montreal. Both seem worth a check out, although Montreal has more of a novelty factor being French speaking.

Hmmm, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I prefer Melbourne, but Sydney isn't a BAD city. It has depth, it has nice areas, Glebe is one hidden gem, Newtown as well. It's very touristy in parts like Circular Quay, the Rocks, Darling Harbour, but it is really beautiful. Sydney most definitely DOES have a 'real' urban centre, which is bustling on weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 01:44 PM
 
2 posts, read 11,670 times
Reputation: 11
I'm Canadian and have just been in Australia to see both cities. It is a very hard choice between all four, each four have different wins. If you rank based on each city's natural beauty, events, culture, people, cost, architecture - lets count only summers for Canada's sake I would say 1) Melbourne, 2) Toronto, 3) Sydney, 4) Montreal .. but really they are all really close in my mind especially the top three - Sydney mostly got knocked down because the residents have a bit of attitude IMO - and it's somehow more expensive than even Manhattan. Montreal is a bit of a stand out for last because I find it's bordering on being too small but hey to each their own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 PM
 
2 posts, read 11,670 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I wonder if people voting for Toronto just aren't familiar with the other cities and what they have to offer.
Interesting you said that .. didn't you say you hadn't been to the Canadian cities but you still ranked them anyway? haha weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,021 posts, read 24,762,187 times
Reputation: 7807
Quote:
Originally Posted by beencaught View Post
I'm Canadian and have just been in Australia to see both cities. It is a very hard choice between all four, each four have different wins. If you rank based on each city's natural beauty, events, culture, people, cost, architecture - lets count only summers for Canada's sake I would say 1) Melbourne, 2) Toronto, 3) Sydney, 4) Montreal .. but really they are all really close in my mind especially the top three - Sydney mostly got knocked down because the residents have a bit of attitude IMO - and it's somehow more expensive than even Manhattan. Montreal is a bit of a stand out for last because I find it's bordering on being too small but hey to each their own!
Montreal is roughly the same size as Melbourne: 4 million vs. 4.1 million in their respective metro areas.

Sydney has 4.6 million and Toronto is pushing 6 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top