U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Melbourne 46 21.80%
Montreal 55 26.07%
Sydney 57 27.01%
Toronto 53 25.12%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,995 times

Advertisements

Toronto wasn't that great for me in summer. Way too cold in winter. I hated waking up in that freezing cold, snowing, dark and gloomy weather. It was unbearable. I remember in Canada my shower froze up and we had to brave a trip next door just to use their shower, boy it was difficult getting out, and had to walk back home with dripping wet hair, freezing cold in a blizzard, get stuck knee deep in snow.

Summer in Sydney on the other hand was one of the best summers of my entire life. I could live there permanently, easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 07:45 AM

20,525 posts, read 25,560,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
I could do away with all of Canada! I love the US, it's my home, and Canada is just... "eh". Toronto's boring, Montreal is the same.
Ah yes. Montreal is boring... in addition to being exactly the same as Toronto.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:14 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,679,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddingon90 View Post
Toronto wasn't that great for me in summer. Way too cold in winter. I hated waking up in that freezing cold, snowing, dark and gloomy weather. It was unbearable. I remember in Canada my shower froze up and we had to brave a trip next door just to use their shower, boy it was difficult getting out, and had to walk back home with dripping wet hair, freezing cold in a blizzard, get stuck knee deep in snow.
Toronto's winter is not that bad. Never in my life have I heard of someone's indoor plumbing freezing up in this city. If you like hot and mild climates, sure, Toronto may not be for you. But if you can handle winter in Boston or New York, you can handle winter in Toronto (this is the point where everyone comes out of the woodwork to tell me how much warmer New York winters are than TO, but I watch the weather every day, and the Canadian Weather Channel gives NYC's forecast, and the conditions are very similar. When NYC is having a thaw, it's cold in TO, but the reverse is often true. We also don't have many event like Hurricane Sandy, and with climate change, the east coast is going to be seeing a lot more of that kind of thing).

Old 07-02-2013, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 4,062 times
Sydney is incredible. Lived there for 3 years. You people obviously fail to recognize it's probably one of the most naturally beautiful cities on earth. Nothing beats that harbor, especially at sunset, when you're on it, on a boat!

http://artdecostainedglass.co.uk/res...ages/gal-a.jpg

Old 07-03-2013, 05:24 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,406,958 times
^^^^

Sydney is a beautiful city but there are other factors to consider that are very individual to the person. Not everybody cares about living in a city that is naturally beautiful. Vancouver is also naturally beautiful but doesn't make it the best for everyone.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:38 PM
BMI

6,499 posts, read 3,763,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddingon90 View Post

Summer in Sydney on the other hand was one of the best summers of my entire life. I could live there permanently, easily.

hmmm...I've heard that story before, almost word for word, in another post somewhere.
I'm not buying it for second, try again buddy

Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 AM

6 posts, read 11,663 times
Toronto.

Toronto's the best. If you don't want the crowded downtown, that's not all of Toronto. Toronto's near the US too, and the US is interesting. I'd choose the Canadian cities just cause they're near the US. That's a great benefit. Canada has much better relationships with the world's richest country.

I've been to all four cities. All I can suggest is you look at smaller cities near Toronto too. Mississauga, Oakville, etc. The Greater Toronto Area is a good place for new immigrants. Outside the Greater Toronto Area, I'd suggest London, ON. It's a great place too.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 11,663 times
In my opinion,
1. Toronto
2. Sydney
3. Montreal
4. Melbourn

I've always considered the GTA area of Canada, which includes Toronto, to be the best place in Canada for new immigrants and raising up a family. Note that if you had included Vancouver in your comparison, Vancouver would've been #2 on the list, after Toronto.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:38 AM

1,551 posts, read 2,679,873 times
I really do find Melbourne to be interesting from everything I've seen and read on forums like these. It does seem to have quite a bit in common with Toronto in that they both have lots of Victorian architecture and are both very cosmopolitan. I really would like to visit some day, but flights to Australia are very expensive from this part of the world, and traveling there isn't cheap either. If I were going to travel to that part of the world, I'd pick a less expensive destination like Vietnam, Thailand, or the Philippines. After spending more than two grand on a plane ticket, I'd barely have enough money left over to enjoy Australia. For this reason I think it is more well-to-do tourists from North America and Europe who are able to vacation in Oz.

As for Sydney, I haven't been there, but I've tried very hard to like it from a distance. I've seen hundreds of photos, read many travel articles and posts on forums like this from Sydneysiders who are eager to tell the world about all their city has to offer. But for some reason I don't really feel compelled to visit. Nothing about the city really captures my imagination.

Montreal is very familiar to me, and I've visited countless times over the years. Fifteen years ago I would have said Montreal was a better city than Toronto, but now I think Toronto has the edge. I know the tourists go ga-ga for the French influence and all, but to me it's really just another Canadian city where people speak French - it's not that exotic. It's a great town, but Toronto has surpassed it in most categories over the last ten years or so.

As for weather, I realize most people love warm weather and fear winter, but Toronto's winters really aren't that bad (Montreal's are quite a bit colder and snowier) and if you dress properly it really isn't a big deal. In fact, the winter can be an excellent time for recreation and there are all kinds of great activities that are not possible in warmer climates. The only thing I don't like about winters in TO is that the city loses some of its vitality because people want to be indoors.

So I chose Toronto. I know it's biased because I haven't been to Oz, but I think I know enough about the two Aussie cities to make a reasonably informed vote. Which is more than some posters can say, talking about how generic and boring Toronto is. Anyone who thinks that way doesn't know the city at all.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:14 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,406,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
. If I were going to travel to that part of the world, I'd pick a less expensive destination like Vietnam, Thailand, or the Philippines. After spending more than two grand on a plane ticket, I'd barely have enough money left over to enjoy Australia. For this reason I think it is more well-to-do tourists from North America and Europe who are able to vacation in Oz.
Yeah there's a lot of decent competition for flights out of Toronto to Asia.. I'm headed to Thailand in September and the airfare return is cheaper than most points in Europe at the same time (mind you this is high season for Europe)

S.E Asia might be a bit pricey for Airfare but once you get there the value is incredible.. The dollar goes much further for everything from Hotels, Food, Attractions, Tours and shopping.

With Australia - after spending loads on your airfare, you're still in an affluent, first world country that is going to pick at your wallet quickly and often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World