Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Melbourne 47 21.96%
Montreal 57 26.64%
Sydney 57 26.64%
Toronto 53 24.77%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:43 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I wouldn't travel from Australia just to see Toronto but I would include it in my iternary on a Canadian or North American trip! Toronto/Niagara Falls/Ottawa/Montreal/Quebec city would be an awesome itinerary.. If you do come though, you are most welcome Artemis.
I have friends who live in Toronto, who say all good things about it. However, yes! definitely would love to see different parts of Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 10:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
I have friends who live in Toronto, who say all good things about it. However, yes! definitely would love to see different parts of Canada.
Well visiting friends who can take you around not just the city but also the region would be awesome - Niagara region and its wineries plus Muskoka and Algonquin Park! Although it would be a different experience for you in the winter, the city and region is most alive in the summer ie festivals/events/celebrations/theatre etc as we make up for the hibernation..

Melbourne looks very appealing to me! Having said that, If i'm going to go to Australia - i'm definately going to be seeing Melbourne and Sydney!

Last edited by fusion2; 02-16-2015 at 10:32 PM..

Old 02-16-2015, 10:45 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,953,522 times
Yeah the Toronto hate is weird, I've always liked the look of Toronto and I want to go there in the future.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Well visiting friends who can take you around not just the city but also the region would be awesome - Niagara region and its wineries plus Muskoka and Algonquin Park! Although it would be a different experience for you in the winter, the city and region is most alive in the summer ie festivals/events/celebrations/theatre etc as we make up for the hibernation..

Melbourne looks very appealing to me! Having said that, If i'm going to go to Australia - i'm definately going to be seeing Melbourne and Sydney!
LOL I am not crazy. I've heard about those winters... lol summer/autumn/spring

I recommend both as well as coastal towns, for some amazing beaches..., and northern Australia

Old 02-16-2015, 10:59 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
LOL I am not crazy. I've heard about those winters... lol summer/autumn/spring

I recommend both as well as coastal towns, for some amazing beaches..., and northern Australia

It was only -33 with the wind chill this weekend. Jeez. Don't be such a wimp!

Old 02-16-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
It was only -33 with the wind chill this weekend. Jeez. Don't be such a wimp!
See!
Yup, I'm a wimp

Old 02-17-2015, 06:53 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Quote:
The consistency part could just be from those who aren't as familiar with it as others.. T.O doesn't latch onto you immediately like some other places because the places that are most appealing are spread over to different parts throughout Old T.O.. Toronto isn't a compact city! Its large DT and CBD attracts people to it but is largely not a tug at the heart place like the other places in the city that are.. The CBD is rather large business district but no Torontonian would claim it has the soul of her nabe's. The tug at the heart places are there but you need to explore in order to find them.. It would be interesting to determine if those whose hearts aren't tugged, have they really been to the places that do tug.. Its a subjective thing though, There are those where it indeed does tug at their heart and this is something they feel as strongly about as many other places.

I get what your saying and really, no city is going to be a magnet for everyone but people should at least make an effort to experience it more than just visiting a Tall tower and walking through a forest of tall buildings before concluding that this is Toronto - those aren't "Toronto" - you can't spend 36 hours in the city and think you have it figured out - well you don't.

The good thing about Toronto is change - it is a place that is constantly reinventing itself and there's something new going on all the time.. I think its fair to say, its a nice place for a tourist to visit, but it is MUCH better a place for a local to live because the city has such depth to it and so many layers that only someone who lives here gets to understand all that is appealing about it. Any local has a bias, this is a natural thing but the best indication that a place doesn't tug at a heart is when the locals say the place is dull and boring and most of us in T.O who know it will state very much the opposite.

In the very least the visitor should experience nabe's/districts like the Annex/Distillery/Kensington Market and Queen Street West.
For most people, Toronto is also arguably a better place to live than certain "heart string" cities...

Old 02-18-2015, 03:08 AM

468 posts, read 616,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Yeah the Toronto hate is weird, I've always liked the look of Toronto and I want to go there in the future.
Toronto's a beautiful city, just like Melbourne and Sydney. I find the three of them are quite similar, both geographically and in terms of the built environment.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:54 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
I'd actually recommend people from warmer climates come here in the winter if they can. I've hosted a half dozen Aussies (I kind of have a personal connection to that country) and they've usually come in the winter.

The goal of travel (to me) is to experience something completely different. Summer in Quebec-Ontario is certainly a beautiful time of year and a worthwhile time to travel here, but winter is something else and entirely unique for them.

I was skating on the Rideau Canal the other day and actually found myself in a warm-up chalet with a bunch of Aussies and their kids!

Old 02-18-2015, 10:02 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,174,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd actually recommend people from warmer climates come here in the winter if they can. I've hosted a half dozen Aussies (I kind of have a personal connection to that country) and they've usually come in the winter.

The goal of travel (to me) is to experience something completely different. Summer in Quebec-Ontario is certainly a beautiful time of year and a worthwhile time to travel here, but winter is something else and entirely unique for them.

I was skating on the Rideau Canal the other day and actually found myself in a warm-up chalet with a bunch of Aussies and their kids!
Right on. Now that is wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World