Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Melbourne 47 22.07%
Montreal 56 26.29%
Sydney 57 26.76%
Toronto 53 24.88%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:48 PM
pdw

2,601 posts, read 3,022,936 times

Advertisements

I don't understand all these comparisons of Montreal with Europe. I wouldn't say that Montreal is even remotely European. It's a Canadian city, through and through. Montreal is no more European than any other city in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 AM

468 posts, read 610,716 times
It's similar to the comparisons Melbourne receives to Europe as well ("Paris of the South"). Totally crass and superficial if you ask me. It's probably done mostly for artistic license. Melbourne is Melbourne, Montreal is Montreal and Europe is Europe.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:56 AM

355 posts, read 678,787 times
I think Montreal has a lot elements from a European city but also a (North) American city.

Language and part of the architecture is a small part of it. It's also the the way how people use their public transport, bicycles, take care of their appearances, the cafe culture and so on. While I don't think it's necessarily similar to France but to me (from Northern Europe) I can see the comparison to Europe more than any other North American/Australian cities. I find it more like a cosmopolitan city between Europe and America. But maybe it's just my opinion, since I find for example Victoria quite European (British) as well.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:54 AM

231 posts, read 330,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
It's similar to the comparisons Melbourne receives to Europe as well ("Paris of the South"). Totally crass and superficial if you ask me. It's probably done mostly for artistic license. Melbourne is Melbourne, Montreal is Montreal and Europe is Europe.
Lived in Melbourne my whole life, when i was a kid growing up in the late 80s/90s culturally Melbourne was very European, Italians and Greeks in particular were everywhere but also lots of Maltese, Croatians, Polish, Russians etc, sure its never gonna be Europe but it would have been the closest thing to Europe outside that continent.

Is Melbourne still like this today? No, since the 1980s we have had a steady migration of Asians pretty much yearly whilst European migration all but ended decades ago, walk around the city today and its Asian dominated (Chinese for the most part but plenty of Vietnamese as well), this was not the case 20 years ago, In more recent times (5-10 years) migration from the sub continent has gone through the roof, the Indian population is fast becoming one of the biggest in the city they already outnumber the Greeks, pretty amazing when you consider hardly any of them were here 10 years ago. Also huge waves coming from Africa, Sudan in particular.

If we were talking about Melbourne in this thread and the year was 1993, then yes its comparisons to Europe would be valid, in 2013 no.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:18 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,676,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
Lived in Melbourne my whole life, when i was a kid growing up in the late 80s/90s culturally Melbourne was very European, Italians and Greeks in particular were everywhere but also lots of Maltese, Croatians, Polish, Russians etc, sure its never gonna be Europe but it would have been the closest thing to Europe outside that continent.

Is Melbourne still like this today? No, since the 1980s we have had a steady migration of Asians pretty much yearly whilst European migration all but ended decades ago, walk around the city today and its Asian dominated (Chinese for the most part but plenty of Vietnamese as well), this was not the case 20 years ago, In more recent times (5-10 years) migration from the sub continent has gone through the roof, the Indian population is fast becoming one of the biggest in the city they already outnumber the Greeks, pretty amazing when you consider hardly any of them were here 10 years ago. Also huge waves coming from Africa, Sudan in particular.

If we were talking about Melbourne in this thread and the year was 1993, then yes its comparisons to Europe would be valid, in 2013 no.
I first visited Melbourne in 2002 (I'm from Perth, living in Melbourne now) and have subsequently visited 5 times before moving here, and yes, I've noticed this too. It's hard to find a good Italian restaurant in the city these days - they're still all in Carlton, but it's very Asian dominated. It seems like almost 3/4 of the people walking around in the city these days are Asian. I remember there being more continental food. I do like Asian food but I wish it wasn't quite so dominant.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I first visited Melbourne in 2002 (I'm from Perth, living in Melbourne now) and have subsequently visited 5 times before moving here, and yes, I've noticed this too. It's hard to find a good Italian restaurant in the city these days - they're still all in Carlton, but it's very Asian dominated. It seems like almost 3/4 of the people walking around in the city these days are Asian. I remember there being more continental food. I do like Asian food but I wish it wasn't quite so dominant.
The city has basically been an Asian takeover, at least Carlton is right next to the city and Lygon St remains Italian, for me the death of Euro culture in the city proper was the demise of the Greek area when all the taverns, bars etc closed down in the late 90s, nowadays its an extension of Chinatown.

The ratio of foot traffic in the city would definately be close to 3/4 Asian, i dont spend much time in the city but a couple of months ago decided to go shopping and spend a whole day there, i was just blown away by how Asian dominated it was, i also never realised that most non Asian businesses have what i believe is Chinese writing at the front of there businesses...obviously trying to cater to the majority.

I use to spend a lot of time in the city back around 2001/2002 and even then it was so much more diverse, but then i think back to when i'd hang out in the city when i was young in the 90s and the transformation from European dominated to Asian dominated has been incredible. Asian food has just massacred everything else, even see an incredible amount of thai places around..these were very rare back in the day.

None of this bothers me as you can still find plenty of euro culture in Melbourne's outer suburbs but just more so when you witness this level of demographic shift with your own eyes.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor217 View Post
The city has basically been an Asian takeover, at least Carlton is right next to the city and Lygon St remains Italian, for me the death of Euro culture in the city proper was the demise of the Greek area when all the taverns, bars etc closed down in the late 90s, nowadays its an extension of Chinatown.

The ratio of foot traffic in the city would definately be close to 3/4 Asian, i dont spend much time in the city but a couple of months ago decided to go shopping and spend a whole day there, i was just blown away by how Asian dominated it was, i also never realised that most non Asian businesses have what i believe is Chinese writing at the front of there businesses...obviously trying to cater to the majority.

I use to spend a lot of time in the city back around 2001/2002 and even then it was so much more diverse, but then i think back to when i'd hang out in the city when i was young in the 90s and the transformation from European dominated to Asian dominated has been incredible. Asian food has just massacred everything else, even see an incredible amount of thai places around..these were very rare back in the day.

None of this bothers me as you can still find plenty of euro culture in Melbourne's outer suburbs but just more so when you witness this level of demographic shift with your own eyes.
Yeah I walked down Lonsdale/Russell Street the other day and there's only a handful of Greek restaurants in the 'Greek' precinct. There are tons of all kinds of Asian places, there's even a Uyghur (western Chinese) restaurant. I honestly think there are a bit too much - too many Chinese, Thai, Japanese in general. I didn't notice that many Korean places, which seem to be coming up in Perth. It also makes it harder to find good ones. More diversity would be good.

I'm living in Footscray which is of course very Vietnamese dominated, with 40 or so Vietnamese restaurants, but now a ton of Ethiopian restaurants have sprung up (at least a couple of dozen) and the Nicholson Street Mall area is the 'African' end of town. Ethiopian food is okay, something different, but do we really need like 20 of them? Or 50 restaurants serving pho? lol There isn't even one Thai or Malaysian place here, and the Italian places are rather lacklustre. The Indian's quite authentic though, but everytime I go in there I'm like the only customer! I guess the Vietnamese prefer to stick to their own food.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 AM

468 posts, read 610,716 times
What Australia has far too much of is Chinese and Indian food and not enough of French, German and Polish food. Fortunately, people's interests are beginning to expand and people in Australia want to diversify their tastes, meaning Chinese/Indian food no longer makes the cut. Back in the 80's and early 90's, I remember Chinese being the most dominant type of restaurant and take-away food in the country. There would be one every on every corner. But now, more and more French restaurants are creating a buzz, particularly ones like Madame Sousou in Fitzroy and Vue De Monde on Collins Street (which was regarded one of Australia's most exclusive restaurants).

Old 10-10-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I walked down Lonsdale/Russell Street the other day and there's only a handful of Greek restaurants in the 'Greek' precinct. There are tons of all kinds of Asian places, there's even a Uyghur (western Chinese) restaurant. I honestly think there are a bit too much - too many Chinese, Thai, Japanese in general. I didn't notice that many Korean places, which seem to be coming up in Perth. It also makes it harder to find good ones. More diversity would be good.

I'm living in Footscray which is of course very Vietnamese dominated, with 40 or so Vietnamese restaurants, but now a ton of Ethiopian restaurants have sprung up (at least a couple of dozen) and the Nicholson Street Mall area is the 'African' end of town. Ethiopian food is okay, something different, but do we really need like 20 of them? Or 50 restaurants serving pho? lol There isn't even one Thai or Malaysian place here, and the Italian places are rather lacklustre. The Indian's quite authentic though, but everytime I go in there I'm like the only customer! I guess the Vietnamese prefer to stick to their own food.
Yeah its a dead precinct with about 5 greek businesses left (3 restaurants, music shop and cake shop), half of which arent even Greek owned anymore.

No surprise about Footscray, although that area was Vietnamese dominated decades ago, the suburb has always had a bad rep, im sure you have heard/seen the movie Romper Stomper which was set in Footscray starring Russel Crowe which focussed on Nazi Skinheads battling the local Vietnamese...that was an early 90s movie.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
What Australia has far too much of is Chinese and Indian food and not enough of French, German and Polish food. Fortunately, people's interests are beginning to expand and people in Australia want to diversify their tastes, meaning Chinese/Indian food no longer makes the cut. Back in the 80's and early 90's, I remember Chinese being the most dominant type of restaurant and take-away food in the country. There would be one every on every corner. But now, more and more French restaurants are creating a buzz, particularly ones like Madame Sousou in Fitzroy and Vue De Monde on Collins Street (which was regarded one of Australia's most exclusive restaurants).
That's what I've always said, for it considered one of the world's best cuisines it seems there aren't many French restaurants here at all. I'd like to see more, and German too. Had a hearty German feast at someplace in Chinatown. I've been to Vue de Monde too, when it was it's old location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World