Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you like best?
Melbourne 47 21.96%
Montreal 57 26.64%
Sydney 57 26.64%
Toronto 53 24.77%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if anyone has been to all 4. I've only been to the Australian cities. I won't do a comparison of those two, as you can find plenty of articles comparing them. For those who have been, compare on the following:

Compare on:

Scenery

Climate

Urban layout

Parks

Public transport/road infrastructure

Architecture

Streetlife

Entertainment/Nightlife

Dining/Cuisine

Culture (Museums, Art.etc)

People (Friendliness.etc)

Cost of living/Livability

Amenities

Tourist attractions

As well as voting in the poll, please RANK the cities from best to worst (in your opinion).

Or else just rank them without comparing, based on perceptions.etc.

My ranking would probably go:

1. Melbourne

2. Sydney

3. Montreal

4. Toronto

edit: come to think of it, I changed my vote, I'd still prefer Sydney over Montreal. The Aussie cities have a bit more character and climate plays a big factor.

Last edited by Trimac20; 01-26-2013 at 12:15 AM.. Reason: changed mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,294,625 times
I would rank my personal preference as -

Melbourne
Sydney
Montreal
Toronto

With a big caveat that my last trip to Toronto was a long time ago, it was brief and I don't remember much. I would like to visit this year but based on what I have been gathering online i see no reason to think that it will impress me as much as the Australian cities.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I would rank my personal preference as -

Melbourne
Sydney
Montreal
Toronto

With a big caveat that my last trip to Toronto was a long time ago, it was brief and I don't remember much. I would like to visit this year but based on what I have been gathering online i see no reason to think that it will impress me as much as the Australian cities.
Maybe Toronto is a disadvantage because it's near such cities as New York, Boston and Chicago, but it just seems like a generic N.American city, while Melbourne has it's own character, typical architecture, a Melbourne feel and a 'Melbourne attitude.' Melburnians seem more Euro (a lot of S.Europeans) than Torontoans, despite the fact Toronto has a lot of Europeans as well.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:19 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times
I've been to all four.

I prefer Melbourne by FAR. I don't like the weather of Montreal so that's enough to keep me away for half the year and the city is cool but Melbourne to me has more to offer as an overall package.

I prefer Toronto second and Sydney third. To be honest, Melbourne versus Sydney to me isn't close-- Sydney is more glamorized and it builds up more expectations for a visitors and those expectations are either met or not. To me, it's a lovely city but I was expecting more out of it and for Melbourne I got more out my experience than Sydney.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I've been to all four.

I prefer Melbourne by FAR. I don't like the weather of Montreal so that's enough to keep me away for half the year and the city is cool but Melbourne to me has more to offer as an overall package.

I prefer Toronto second and Sydney third. To be honest, Melbourne versus Sydney to me isn't close-- Sydney is more glamorized and it builds up more expectations for a visitors and those expectations are either met or not. To me, it's a lovely city but I was expecting more out of it and for Melbourne I got more out my experience than Sydney.
How long were you in each city? What were the highlights of both for you? The major drawbacks of both?

Also re Melbourne vs Montreal, in which areas was Montreal really lacking in comparison to Melbourne?

Old 01-26-2013, 06:06 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
All four seem equally great cities

Old 01-26-2013, 08:47 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
I've heard Melbourne and Montreal are the most European cities in each of those two countries

Old 01-28-2013, 02:59 PM

630 posts, read 994,095 times
Toronto and Sydney are the best with best downtowns.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:08 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times
Toronto for me.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 14,636 times
I am from Montreal but I lived in all of these cities for a few years.

Sydney is the worst of all by far. Seriously, you can only like Sydney if you are a tourist.
Montreal and Toronto are amazing in summer, better than Melbourne because everything cost a lot less and food taste better, and restaurant are great.
But because of harsh winter in Canada, Melbourne have the lead.

ps Australia cost of living is going crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World