U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Chicago 52 35.37%
Paris 95 64.63%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,264,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
I did go in the summer! The whole place was like the city of London (business district). People shuffle in during the weekdays to the office, then shuffle out again. This was in 2002, maybe city living has taken off since then. The pier was a bit busier, but still dead compared to any medium european city.
So, you visited the Loop I presume and didn't go where people live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,969,615 times
Quote:
I did go in the summer! The whole place was like the city of London (business district). People shuffle in during the weekdays to the office, then shuffle out again. This was in 2002, maybe city living has taken off since then. The pier was a bit busier, but still dead compared to any medium european city.
You went to the Loop dude. The Loop is the CBD, where almost nobody lives and it's boring as ****. Next time you come back, please get out of the Loop. The streets in other neighborhoods are teeming with life at night/weekends all day. Nobody EVER goes to the Loop to do anything, even eat food other than lunch if you work in an office down there (a few restaurants, but yeah).

The real Chicago looks like this for nightlife (This was obviously during St. Patty's Day...but in the summer in areas you would find this many people out anyway):
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7139/7...b49458a9_z.jpg

More regular
IMAGE: http://www.chibarproject.com/Reviews...lleCrowdBW.jpg

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-31-2013 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Photographic Copyright Violations

Old 01-30-2013, 01:24 PM

5,481 posts, read 5,800,396 times
Quote:
I'm really sorry about that. You totally missed out on what probably would have been a much better visit to Chicago. There's wayyy more to Chicago than the Loop

Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,652,465 times
All what I know about Chicago are reports from some friends who lived there, and some images by Google Street View. My impression: for the size of the population, it appears to have a very good urbanism. Even the suburban streets, according to what I saw, have underground electrical wiring and most of the houses have green lawns in front of them. Those who travelled to there or live there may confirm me if it's true.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,452,309 times
I've lived in both and I actually like Chicago more, despite Paris easily being a better city. Paris definitely beats Chicago when it comes to beauty, food, arts/culture, public transit, pedestrian-friendliness, nightlife, diversity, etc., but Chicago is pretty stellar in those regards and I just largely prefer Chicagoans over Parisians. There are handful or two of European cities I'd live in over Chicago, but Paris is not one of them.

Paris is definitely the better city to visit though, it's quite possibly the greatest city on Earth to visit.

Anyways, Chicago and Paris are not all that comparable. Chicago is more comparable to Toronto, Sydney, Madrid, or Berlin whereas Paris is more comparable to London, New York, Tokyo, or Hong Kong.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 24,675 times
Comparing Chicago and Paris is like comparing Jetta and Enzo.

Chicago's South and West side look like 3rd World country. So much garbage and the buildings are falling apart.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:06 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,457,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy over there View Post

Chicago's South and West side look like 3rd World country. So much garbage and the buildings are falling apart.
I agree that this is an apples to oranges comparison, but don't make the mistake of thinking that all of Paris looks like Champs Élysées. I am guessing you haven't seen what Paris' poor banlieues look like. It's not a pretty sight.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:25 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,969,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy over there View Post
Agree with this. It's apples and oranges.

Quote:
You've probably never been to a third world country if you think this, or you've never even stepped foot in these areas of Chicago. The buildings on the south and west sides are not falling apart, sorry. There are random empty lots now in areas such as North Lawndale, Austin, Englewood, etc and it can look weird/****ty in a few areas but most of the buildings are FAR from falling apart. It's no different than the **** areas of NYC. Trust me.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,652,465 times
The banlieues of Paris are poor only in comparison within the wealthier central areas, and, although I never visited Chicago, I don't believe that there is some neighbourhood similar to poor third world areas. Does Chicago have slums or streets without asphalt?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:33 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,907,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
The banlieues of Paris are poor only in comparison within the wealthier central areas, and, although I never visited Chicago, I don't believe that there is some neighbourhood similar to poor third world areas. Does Chicago have slums or streets without asphalt?
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World