U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Chicago 52 35.37%
Paris 95 64.63%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,924,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
The banlieues of Paris are poor only in comparison within the wealthier central areas, and, although I never visited Chicago, I don't believe that there is some neighbourhood similar to poor third world areas. Does Chicago have slums or streets without asphalt?
No, they aren't slums. The worst areas of Chicago still have a lot of good houses in them, but there are some that are boarded up and stuff, and with vacant lots. It's not uncommon though. You'll see this in New York City, Cleveland, Baltimore, even parts of San Francisco, etc. In some areas, there's vacant lots from torn down buildings too. Back in the day in some neighborhoods, there used to be way more people living there and some weird stuff has happened. For example, the North Lawndale neighborhood once had 125,000 people in it and now it has around 35,000 only and you'll see vacant lots. This is not uncommon in other big, urban cities in the US though. The only bad part is that in the bad parts of town, you might see some accumulated trash in some of these vacant lots.

Some of the places are in the state of "That looks really old and looks like someone isn't great at repairs" but it's far from falling down.

Here's some pics from some of the bad neighborhoods of Chicago (this first one looks absolutely no different than what you might find in parts of Lincoln Park or Lakeview or other good neighborhoods really):
http://citynoise.org/upload/6512.jpg

(Very typical looking house on the South Side of Chicago...this one is in a "bad neighborhood")
http://cdn.cstatic.net/cache/gallery...604bbe6c_o.jpg

http://www.dreamtown.com/photos/neig...ld-park-10.jpg

(Frank Lloyd Wright home in a now bad neighborhood)
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....228e970c-800wi

http://www.trbimg.com/img-4fef8b46/t...g-20120630/600

(North Lawndale..refer to what I said above)
http://www.chicagonow.com/chicago-mu....-Lawndale.jpg

http://www.seanparnell.com/CALP/Boar...Englewood8.jpg

http://wibiti.com/images/hpmain/006/281006.jpg

So the deal is with Chicago and crime....a lot of the serious crime is centered around gangs or the drug trade. I'd be willing to say the majority of the people in these neighborhoods have no affiliation with that stuff. A lot might not be very wealthy (some might be), but they have sense enough to keep their houses kept up. The businesses in some of the neighborhoods are kind of falling behind and some have been for awhile, so in some neighborhoods you get the sense that some places are "old" and need a new sign, or a new door or what not, but it's not falling apart. They do what they can do, and sometimes it's not the best. Even one of the worst areas of Chicago right now, if not the worst, Austin, was once home to many people and had mansions that are still there.

These houses/mansions are all in one of the worst areas of Chicago. It's near a suburb which is nice, but they're still in this bad neighborhood. Yeah, 3rd world country? Obviously not the norm, but you'd be surprised what you can find in some of the neighborhoods here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yochica...7594285923560/

The ghetto areas are far from 3rd world country. There are boarded up houses, sure, but 98% of them are not going to fall down. They are neglected usually but could be fixed easily for sure. The far "uglier" parts are those with abandoned warehouses near the river or lake. Whoever says that Chicago's bad areas are like a 3rd world country needs to get out more and has no idea what they're talking about

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-31-2013 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Photographic Copyright Violations
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:58 AM

10,287 posts, read 12,400,880 times
Paris is my favorite city in the world.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM

182 posts, read 141,075 times
pariz haz too many peopple nd turists

Old 02-02-2013, 09:50 AM

2,045 posts, read 2,490,890 times
I will abstain from voting. These two cities are both easily among the top 10 cities on the planet. Both have the very best of everything, culture, dining, museums, transportation, nightlife, business, etc. I guess if pressed, Paris would be the choice, but both of these cities are top notch.

There are a lot of posters making really ridiculous claims on this thread based on their ignorance or fact they have little awareness of one or both of these cities. It's a shame.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,171,833 times
This is a hard comparison since both cities in my personal opinion are VERY different, both historically, architecturally and socially. I love both cities, but I have to give Paris a one up on this one due to it's sheer beauty. With that said, I've had many wonderful vacations in both cities- but Paris definitely has that certain je ne sais quois that sets it apart from other cities throughout the world. There's truly something magical about it.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:24 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,998,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yea its not easy comparing American cities with European cities.

Toronto or Sydney would be a good comparison.
I agree.

No contest, Paris wins hands down.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:34 PM

363 posts, read 541,748 times
Paris for me. Chicago is my favorite North American city, and Paris is my favorite European city.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:41 PM

2,252 posts, read 2,452,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I will abstain from voting. These two cities are both easily among the top 10 cities on the planet. Both have the very best of everything, culture, dining, museums, transportation, nightlife, business, etc. I guess if pressed, Paris would be the choice, but both of these cities are top notch.

There are a lot of posters making really ridiculous claims on this thread based on their ignorance or fact they have little awareness of one or both of these cities. It's a shame.
Don't necessarily disagree with you, but to be fair Paris gives Chicago a beating on most of those metrics. The one major difference between them (apart from the obvious stylistic ones) is that in Paris the area of high structural and population density is much much larger. There is probably about 3m people in Paris - more than all of the city of Chicago -- living at average densities of 50,000+ per sq mile. Paris' public transportation is far superior. And its cultural attractions are second to none. Paris is firmly in the Tokyo/NY/London club. Chicago, while a world class city in its own right with some extremely impressive attributes, is a notch or two below.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:53 PM

36 posts, read 34,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post

Yeah their both great cosmopolitan cities and I would love to visit both. Their both top notch people and both city got "slums" but so do all major cities but its best to not give in to ignorant people.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM
FBF

563 posts, read 642,124 times
Paris, obviously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World