U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city?
Cincinnati 11 22.92%
Munich 37 77.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM

182 posts, read 141,257 times

Advertisements

Cinci, Germany doesnt have starbucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,333,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareththebboy View Post

Store Locator | Starbucks Coffee Company

Old 01-29-2013, 09:00 PM

189 posts, read 306,017 times
Are you kidding me? Cincinnati is like a 3rd world city compared to Munich.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:40 AM

3,719 posts, read 5,865,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
I dont think i would go that far but Munich does have better everything and more everything considering it is a smaller city.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM

5,054 posts, read 5,528,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Crime-Cincinnati
Cincinnati ranks worse than the average in the U.S.

Data from 2006 (yes, a bit old)

Murders per 100,000
Munich: 13
Cincinnati: 89

Burglaries per 100,000
Munich: 1,340
Cincinnati: 4,332

Old 01-30-2013, 12:48 PM

18,053 posts, read 13,262,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Another American city and its European sister city that share many similarities. Cincinnati has a lot of German/Bavarian influence such as its architecture, and has the world's 2nd largest Oktoberfest.

Sorry, but Munich wins this one due to its higher quality of life, low crime rate, and its proximity to the Alps versus the lower Appalachian hills (you have to drive all the way to Kentucky or West Virginia for mountains, and even those don't compare to the Bavarian Alps).
The Cost-of-Living in Cincinnati is cheaper than München. Cincinnati is closer to the sea than München, and more importantly, Cincinnati sits in a glacial river valley that offers breath-taking views from both the Ohio and Kentucky side.

München has skin-heads --- you probably miss them the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
There are plenty who will choose any 'Murican city over any foreign city.
And you base that on what, exactly?

My favorite city is Heidelberg. I love Kosice (Slovakia) and own an apartment there. Szeged is beautiful, as is Novi-Sad. I like Lipova (and own a home near there in Arad), Timisoara, Deva and a few other cities in Romania. Not impressed with Greece or Turkey. Vicenza (Italy) was okay. Lloret de Mar in Spain was wonderful. Luxembourg City. Didn't like London, but the suburbs were great. I moved over to the west side to Queen's Park (south of Willesden). I worked in Camden, which I liked.

Two cities better than München would be Bremen and Hameln. Berlin. Wölfenbüttel. Hell, even Paderborn.

Anyone remember Bill Bailey's Beer Bar in Paderborn?

Cincinnati, Paderborn and Celle all have something München doesn't -- lots of jazz clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Then get out of the topic. This is about Munich vs Cincinnati, and it's obvious that Cincinnati has very large quality of life issues when we're comparing it to Munich.
Indeed.....buying a 4 bedroom ranch with 2 1/2 baths, 2 car garage sitting on 4 acres of land for just $99,000....the horror.....the horror....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I know Munich and must say that it is quite overrated. Sure, it is safe and rich, but also a bit boring and kitschy, not to mention too expensive for what you get.
The biggest advantage is that it is great for pedestrians, probably unlike Cincinnati, although I have never been there.

Actually, I don't think it makes sense to compare such completely different cities, Cincinnati is a prototypical US city, Munich a prototypical European city, as such they are bound to be very different.
I don't think they are sister cities because of any supposed similarity.
Oktoberfest is the similarity -- that's why they are sister cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
You can walk around in Munich safely at night. Same cant be said for Cincinatti.
I live in Over-the-Rhine and walk around. It's more dangerous during the day than at night. I was walking back from Kroger's one day and was at 12th and Vine and a guy was shot and killed about 60 feet away at the corner of 13th and Vine.

A girl, Africa Hope was shot and killed in a drive-by 6 blocks from where I live, because gun-control leaves guns in the hands of criminals.

Quote:

Groß Gott!Es macht zu viel Spaß!

München doesn't have a Sitwell's Coffee House --- which is superior to anything Starsux could dream up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin_samurai View Post
Yes, I enjoy living in my spacious cardboard box very much, thank you very little.

Comparatively...

Mircea

Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM

541 posts, read 1,177,632 times
Quote:

Starbucks Coffee Company

Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,303,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The Cost-of-Living in Cincinnati is cheaper than München. Cincinnati is closer to the sea than München, and more importantly, Cincinnati sits in a glacial river valley that offers breath-taking views from both the Ohio and Kentucky side.
Indeed.....buying a 4 bedroom ranch with 2 1/2 baths, 2 car garage sitting on 4 acres of land for just $99,000....the horror.....the horror....
Cincinnati is cheaper because is an ugly, boring, uninteresting city, while Munich is a beautiful, livable one

Quote:

A girl, Africa Hope was shot and killed in a drive-by 6 blocks from where I live, because gun-control leaves guns in the hands of criminals.
Numbers don't lie: Cincinnati has a higher murder rate than Munich.

Quote:

Yes, I enjoy living in my spacious cardboard box very much, thank you very little.
A spacious house in the "exciting" state of Ohio... wow, what a deal you're close to Dayton, Cincinnati, Akron, Cleveland, Youngstown: you're a lucky man.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,333,697 times
I still think people here are being too pessimistic about Cincinnati and too optimistic about Munich.

At the end of the day, what matters most is people. Feeling happy and at home can be anywhere, even in 'objectively' troubled places. There was an interesting study on that some time ago. So, how are people in Cincinnati, you know, the city mentality so to speak?

Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM

182 posts, read 141,257 times
wow Iz didnt know dat munich waz the hub of starbucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or