U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 AM

9,620 posts, read 12,804,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I hope to God you are not implying European countries in that. I highly doubt that any Euro in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Netherlands, etc would want our atrocious health care outcomes, our horrendous murder rates, our terrible public transport, and poor urban planning. Some things they might be jealous of like the ability to pick up sticks and move to a completely diff climate, geography, landscape without leaving the country, but I can't imagine that dominates most of their lives anyway. I've met quite a few Euro's very happy to remain right where they are. Quite a few others would prefer to move to Australia or Canada because those countries believe in pretty much the same Euro values. America is Capitalism on steroids, and it certainly shows in our awful vacation time, worker rights, large gap between rich and poor, etc. etc. .
^ this has been my experience to a very large degree.

I've met plenty of people who have moved to the US from Europe because they do, indeed, like the culture here; they like the business climate, they like the opportunity, they like the people and the music and the geography and plenty of other things.

I've also met plenty of people who visit the US and like all of the above, but wouldn't consider moving here for the long haul for the reasons you state above. People I've met from the EU and Australia are shocked when they discover that we don't have any government-mandated vacation time and then begin to understand why it is that Americans tend to be poor-traveled relative to elsewhere in the world. A lot of them don't realize exactly how much an education costs in the US, and don't fully comprehend the inane intricacies of our for-profit healthcare system, and when they do, they are flabbergasted.

In most cases, these people I've met still harbor the same general good feelings about US citizens, and they can see some of the lack of regulations and taxes that they have to pay as good things, but at the end of the day they don't see our society as being superior and would prefer to live back home.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM

4,044 posts, read 5,952,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
People I've met from the EU and Australia are shocked when they discover that we don't have any government-mandated vacation time and then begin to understand why it is that Americans tend to be poor-traveled relative to elsewhere in the world.
If Americans wanted government mandated vacation time they would push and militate for it; but they don't.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM

9,855 posts, read 7,138,438 times
Yeah white Americans do get alot of bashing by foreign comedians I guess because we are fair game and it is PC and will not threaten any minority and will not possibly slander a comic with the dreaded "racist" label.
When most of the world think about Americans number one is Obama and number 2 is the image of a gun toting tobaco chewing redneck with his shirt sleeves cutoff. Thanks reality TV.
White America can take a good ribbing and we do give it back to certain nationalities in the form of stereotypes. Some races are just off the lsit when it coems to poking fun at them. We make fun of ourselves in our own country. Think how many commercials there are on TV that make the Father the fall figure that has the wife rolling her eyes at him and the kids not respecting him. It is open season on the American white male and we laugh right along with it.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,992,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Yeah white Americans do get alot of bashing by foreign comedians I guess because we are fair game and it is PC and will not threaten any minority and will not possibly slander a comic with the dreaded "racist" label.
When most of the world think about Americans number one is Obama and number 2 is the image of a gun toting tobaco chewing redneck with his shirt sleeves cutoff. Thanks reality TV.
White America can take a good ribbing and we do give it back to certain nationalities in the form of stereotypes. Some races are just off the lsit when it coems to poking fun at them. We make fun of ourselves in our own country. Think how many commercials there are on TV that make the Father the fall figure that has the wife rolling her eyes at him and the kids not respecting him. It is open season on the American white male and we laugh right along with it.
"Open season on white males" (in the US). Why is that?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:16 AM

742 posts, read 1,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
There's no climate change in the US, either.

The country is so easy to mock, it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
I love your venom and hate, especially from a hippie!

Look at you! any excuse to say horrendous tings and you think thats not arrogance?
Sadly you represent the average frenchman or brit- not much to boast about but sit back on your "heritage" and think you have room to talk about other countries.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM

7,972 posts, read 9,739,842 times
Get over yourselves, the "average" Brit or Frenhman/women have their own sh*t to worry about. The hypocrisy is UNREAL on this forum, Americans accusing countries of what they are constantly guilty of themselves. Americans start these threads not Europeans.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:24 AM

14,531 posts, read 11,520,915 times
Personally I couldnt give a monkeys, so all sit back on my heritage and rock.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM

6,770 posts, read 7,503,107 times
americans ( alot of them ) are so irrepresibly optimistic , us europeans often wonder is it genuine , it is genuine but its really strange to europeans , even watching the news , the people on the likes of bbc dont almost jump out of the screen in excitement or have beaming smiles

its not a bad thing , its just very different , american optimisim is very endearing in many ways , id find it hard to keep it up however

Old 03-20-2013, 10:05 AM

16,798 posts, read 9,498,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
I love your venom and hate, especially from a hippie!

Look at you! any excuse to say horrendous tings and you think thats not arrogance?
Sadly you represent the average frenchman or brit- not much to boast about but sit back on your "heritage" and think you have room to talk about other countries.

Uuuh; I believe she's a former U.S. citizen now living in Europe but I could be wrong.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:06 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,224,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Get over yourselves, the "average" Brit or Frenhman/women have their own sh*t to worry about. The hypocrisy is UNREAL on this forum, Americans accusing countries of what they are constantly guilty of themselves. Americans start these threads not Europeans.
Not to mention that Chielgirl is actually American, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or