U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-20-2013, 09:16 AM
 
16,750 posts, read 9,479,623 times
Reputation: 12142

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That's not necessarily because of the US.
You're posting a link to an opinion piece (twice) doesn't make it more than one person's opinion.

You'll never burst my anti-US bubble. The only thing that will do that is the US cleaning up its act.
People who are pushy and we're no. 1 proponents are the main reason for my opinion.

So, you're going to provide something of note to dispute that we've caused over 1 million deaths since we became a country?
Go ahead, try.

Here's a few links just on the deaths since WWII:
Deaths In Other Nations Since WW II Due To Us Interventions By James A. Lucas
How many deaths have been caused by the USA government
*Ruth Leger Sivard has documented the deaths resulting directly from wars since 1945. Up through 1992, that figure is a little over 23 million people. The USA must be held accountable for a substantial portion, though by no means all, of those deaths. But that is only a small fraction of all the deaths during that period that may reasonably be attributed to USA policies and activities. Citing research by William Eckhardt, Sivard estimated several years ago that 15-20 million people die “needless” deaths every year; that “society has the means, if not the political will, to prevent them.”

I wonder about the people who refuse to look at the US for what it really is, not for what the propaganda states.
Is it fear?
The US needs to go gently into that good night and take care of its citizens, and remove itself from the world.
It's made a mess of the world through its interference.



Hogwash.

[Mod cut: personal]

I'm a US citizen who's probably a lot older than you.
I've lived in the US, Asia and Europe.

[Mod cut: personal]

You've dealt with this one before many times. You know that regardless of authoritative links or facts you post to rebutt his "opinion piece", or "twitter blogs" he posts as irrefutable truths; he'll simply come back with: you're offerring opinions only, don't debate, and are biased. A troll of the first order but as you've now seen the mods seem to favour his nonsense and tolerate it forever.

I've been guilty of ignoring one singular piece of advice from many private messagers when dealing with this one:

Don't feed the TROLL!

 
Old 03-20-2013, 09:31 AM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,669 posts, read 18,223,008 times
Reputation: 11174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
It's often not what we say it's how we say it that turns people off. It's fine to mentioned the good things about one's country but with out being condesending and demeaning towards other peoples' nations and if you look over the commentary here that happens an awful lot with us. Why I don't know but we, ourselves, often provoke these negative reactions toward our country. In truth away from these message boards and in "real life" we don't do that and we are, as a people, well liked in every country I have ever been in. Sure some people disagree with our politics but that is a different story and there is room for debate there. There is no need to put others on the defensive to support national pride.
I don't think America/Americans should be bending over backwards for anyone. We are the de facto world police because so many countries in the world request us to be so - this is true in Europe as well as in the Middle East. Look at what's happening with Syria right now - 70,000 people slaughtered by their own government. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. That's the reality when you're a superpower.

America would gladly stay out of other country's affairs if they could conduct themselves like civilized human beings and not cry for help whenever things go terribly wrong.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 03-20-2013 at 09:40 AM..
 
Old 03-20-2013, 09:39 AM
 
16,750 posts, read 9,479,623 times
Reputation: 12142
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I never have taken notice to this until now. You will find people from the U.K/Canada/Aus bashing Americans in their comedies and everyone is getting the laugh out of it and yet....Americans DO NOT BASH them in any way shape or form. I actually got this link from someone else on these forums. Their is more material out there.


Dylan Moran on Americans - YouTube

America seems to have an endless amount of comedies and not one of them says anything remotely disrespectful about them at all. In fact they never even mention them in there routines. And its just not comedy--I have taken notice to some people having bits at where they go out on the streets and ask random Americans random questions and edit in the "best" (best as in dumbest) answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo


Why is that ok ? Americans have never done anything remotely like this. My thing is. If everyone in the 'Anglo-Sphere' are supposed to be 'so close' and have SO much in common (You know all of that FAKE bull crap about being friend) why is this meet with laughs. Is it because others would like to believe that their country is just SO much more sophisticated/educated/fit. If you truly believe that everyone around you is just that much more smarter then why broadcast it on your TV. Wouldn't it simply speak for it self ?
This is simply horse chit! American comedians have included all those countries and many others in their monologues in a less than flattering light for many years. Your premise is flawed and inacurate right out of the box.

Many; from Carlin to the immortal Johnny Carson have referred to any of those countries in less than flattering terms over the years. Where the heck did all that stupid "French Fries vs Freedom Fries" silliness come from do you think?

So if you're thinking you're the brunt of comedic acts without being in any way the contributer; I'd be inclined to say you're simply, once again, being the "poor me", Wendy-the-whiner.

Get over yourselves already!
 
Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
 
16,750 posts, read 9,479,623 times
Reputation: 12142
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't think America/Americans should be bending over backwards for anyone. We are the de facto world police because so many countries in the world request us to be so - this is true in Europe as well as in the Middle East. Look at what's happening with Syria right now - 70,000 people slaughtered by their own government. We're damned if we do and damned if we don't. That's the reality when you're a superpower.

America would gladly stay out of other country's affairs if they could conduct themselves like civilized human beings and not cry for help whenever things go terribly wrong.
You do choose to stay out of other peoples affairs, whether they behave as civilized human beings or not, dependent on how those countries figure into your global influence.

There have been any number of countries that have gone, or are going into terminal meltdown but if they didn't or don't matter in some form or another into the corporate interests of Washington lobbyists they were, are summarily left to rot in their own chit. Do you really need to be provided with a list?

You choose to get involved based on less than altruistic motives 90% of the time. The rest of the world has noticed this trend.

Proof abounds of this feature of your foreign policy.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Greater LA area
15,745 posts, read 11,757,357 times
Reputation: 30588
Hmmm, when I came to the US about 7 years ago, I noticed that Americans make fun of Jews, Australians, Canadians and Brits. ALOT. Starting with how they talk, incl. their culture.

Plus, I have noticed that alot of Americans look down on most other countries in general, incl. making jokes about frog eating (French), Nazis (Germans) and Russians for hairy armpits and mailbrides, besides all the Asian jokes.

So I don't think that Americans make LESS fun of other countries as other countries do about America. And I do think that alot of Americans think they own the world.

Just 2 Cents from a foreigner living in the US,
 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM
 
7,497 posts, read 9,280,426 times
Reputation: 7394
Maybe because America has raped the rest of the world of it's natural resources and abused them to boot so we can live like kings while most of the rest of the world suffers and lives in poverty and works almost nonstop in order to have a measly few cents. Just guessing here.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,680 posts, read 4,460,145 times
Reputation: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Its not that I have thin skin. FAR FROM. I just do not like it when people act like their crap don't stink.


Now isn't that an American thing ? Not knowing where things are on a map ? I mean as you know everyone around the entire world knows where EVERYTHING is expect these dumbb Americans. Could you imagine saying anything similar to that. Oh my you would be the worst. When in reality you could careless if they know or not. If everyone had that mentality like you would then maybe comics would be out of an extra 15 minutes of original material.....

Great points, and I agree with you. I personally don't care what Comedians say as it is their job to throw around insults. However I have noticed that people such as my wife's family back in China will watch programming back home that shows dumb Americans and that is portrayed and interpreted as Americans all being dumb and uneducated and the assumption from them is that is how we are, as if they are so far above this even though in reality you can find plenty of dumb and uneducated people anywhere you go. (Yes, even plenty in China)
 
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Bothell, Washington
2,680 posts, read 4,460,145 times
Reputation: 3622
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Over the centuries, it has.
Just look at the legacy of the School of the Americas in the Central and South American countries.
Over 100,000 directly in Iraq.
Oh, cut me a break.

The US took on the job of being the world police and screwed it and our economy up royally.
It refuses to step back now.
It's in Africa doing the same manifest destiny crap.

I disagree, the US has not done more good than bad.
Ask the Vietnamese, or those in Phongsavang, Lao where we dropped our bombs before returning to Thailand during 'Nam.
I won't argue all of this as I agree about the killing- even if we haven't killed as many people as Europe or anywhere else, it's still not acceptable what we have done militarily. I hate when the "cost" of the Iraq war is discussed here in media and only the number of American troops killed is mentioned. In reality the number if Iraqi people killed needs to be mentioned as well.

But I want to argue about Africa- we have no manifest destiny there, if anything China is the country that is making a big push there with its own manifest destiny.

And another comment, this "ugly American" thing is more of an over-generalized stereotype than anything else. There have been many international surveys done and Americans are found to be some of the best tourists- they are actually considered to be good and respectful when in other countries contrary to the stereotype. Sure there are some loud or rude or ignorant Americans just as there are loud and rude French, English, Japanese, Chinese, etc. people, but most who will be encountered overseas are curious, knowledgeable, and respectful.

And regarding language, people need to understand that our situation is completely different than that of Europe or many other areas. In Europe people speak many languages because there are many that are used officially across small distances- different countries with different languages are so close to each other and they do close business with each other that knowing how to speak those other languages is very important. And in other bigger countries such as China- kids are taught English as a second language in school because of the fact (like it or not) that English is the international language of business- it's the default language used in international travel, commerce, etc. We just happen to live in a place here in the USA that is more isolated, with our nation being almost as big as the entire continent of Europe but yet having English as our official language from coast to coast, with not many other countries anywhere close that speak any other language except for Mexico. And, of course with our language being English, we just happen to already speak that international language of business so the need to speak a second language has not been very high. People learn second languages for travel or for particular business they may be planning to do in a certain foreign country but as a general rule it has not been very necessary here as it is in much of the rest of the world. So people can ignorantly call us rude or self centered for that, but the reality is that it's just a completely different set of circumstances here.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 12:24 PM
 
1,651 posts, read 1,268,157 times
Reputation: 288
It all depends really.

Over here in Ireland, we bash Americans but only in a humorous way. The same way an American will slag off an Irishman. Nothing malicious is ok. Its only banter after all. The best thing to do is laugh at it and take it with a pinch of salt.

I have been asked if I was a leprachaun by some Americans and when was the last time I had a drink. I laughed at it and joked about it as it doesn't bother me and because of my sense of humor. If there is maliciousness in it, then the person is an idiot and don't bother with them.

Comedians bash everyone. Its what they do and get paid to do it. There's nothing bad about it. If you find comedians offensive, then you don't want to go watch Frankie Boyle.

I also have to say that it is ridiculous to say that Americans don't bash and joke about other countries.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Boston, MA
10,909 posts, read 7,718,869 times
Reputation: 5276
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
This is simply horse chit! American comedians have included all those countries and many others in their monologues in a less than flattering light for many years. Your premise is flawed and inacurate right out of the box.

Many; from Carlin to the immortal Johnny Carson have referred to any of those countries in less than flattering terms over the years. Where the heck did all that stupid "French Fries vs Freedom Fries" silliness come from do you think?

So if you're thinking you're the brunt of comedic acts without being in any way the contributer; I'd be inclined to say you're simply, once again, being the "poor me", Wendy-the-whiner.

Get over yourselves already!
The glaring difference is that our comedians are actually funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top