U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-20-2013, 04:49 PM
 
Location: East Coast of the United States
15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Reputation: 11163

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
no superpower in the history of the world has ever stayed out of other peoples affairs , if they had , they wouldnt have ended up as powerfull as they were

spain
france
england
soviet union

usa
From an American perspective, this is true. The American public has no appetite for war, especially after what happened in the last decade. But the world is a complex place and it's often not a pretty picure. There are all kinds of rogue regimes. What do you do about a North Korea or an Iran when things there really start to get out of hand? We also feel it's our moral obligation to help our allies when they cannot handle a situation on their own and come to us for help. Do we sit and do nothing instead? That's the situation we often face.

 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,430,934 times
Reputation: 3716
Ice hockey?? American?? I protest lol

What better way for a Canadian to profess his love for the U.S than with this


Celine Dion - God Bless America Super Bowl - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I love a lot of American things Ice Hockey!
 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
Reputation: 4069
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
historically America's faults are far smaller in comparison with European countries.
Seriously, whatever you say! There is hardly anyone living from the darkest chapters of our worst faults. I don't deny we have faults anyroad. You think your country is the only country where the media and books etc hold people to account? lol
 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 9,722,762 times
Reputation: 4069
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
From an American perspective, this is true. The American public has no appetite for war, especially after what happened in the last decade. But the world is a complex place and it's often not a pretty picure. There are all kinds of rogue regimes. What do you do about a North Korea or an Iran when things there really start to get out of hand? We also feel it's our moral obligation to help our allies when they cannot handle a situation on their own and come to us for help. Do we sit and do nothing instead? That's the situation we often face.
We, the UK, have been fighting and dying alongside you for over a decade, so we to help our allies.

I do say good and positive things about the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
The US is starting to like it AND a huge country that already have an abundance of American Football guys who could make an easy transition to Rugby, if they take to it they could be a tasty team in a few years.
Stop taking everything to heart!
 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Corvallis OR
26 posts, read 11,867 times
Reputation: 18
Why does nobody bash Nauru? Most people don't know anything about it; whereas the USA is all over TV, movies, news, etc, in a lot of the world.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 05:59 PM
 
16,739 posts, read 9,468,766 times
Reputation: 12136
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I have noticed that almost every thread you go to is about America and your comments are nothing but negative comments about America.
While you on the other hand show up on the other countries and world sections and are oh so positive about every other country but the U.S. by comparison? (sarcasm button on)

Whanna go back to topic of why it's cool to bash America as being a fate-accompli and not just another silly assumption by a whiner.

This is a GIGO exercises garbage in, garbage out. You start by endorsing a false premise without researching it's origin or foundation to ascertain legitimacy, then you argue with any and all alternate opinions.

Bashing the U.S. is no different or prevalent than U.S. citizens bashing other countries or their citizens or are you so biased you actually think so.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,672 posts, read 8,093,743 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
The opinion piece provides data which shows that ever since the US came into power, wars and violence in general has declined. I know facts are hard to swallow because they go against your anti-American agenda, but at least try. Steven Pinker: Why Violence Is Vanishing - WSJ.com

You have yet to provide a CREDIBLE source for what you claim is 1 million innocent people that the US has killed. And warfare deaths do not count and indirect deaths are not valid.

I do have a passport, and I travel. [Mod cut: personal]
How do warfare deaths not count? Thousands of civilians died in US concentration camps in the Philippines-American war, mostly through the starvation and disease endemic in these barbaric places (they weren't death camps but regular concentration camps are almost as bad). I think its reasonable for America to be considered responsible for those deaths, not just the straight up atrocities and direct killings that happened suppressing that war of independence so the Philippines could be annexed as a colony and oppressed for 47 years.

Funding proxy wars is often even worse, which I think was the argument that was being made, because it's so easy to do and the country doesn't even have to feel guilty about it.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,989,171 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
While you on the other hand show up on the other countries and world sections and are oh so positive about every other country but the U.S. by comparison? (sarcasm button on)

Whanna go back to topic of why it's cool to bash America as being a fate-accompli and not just another silly assumption by a whiner.

This is a GIGO exercises garbage in, garbage out. You start by endorsing a false premise without researching it's origin or foundation to ascertain legitimacy, then you argue with any and all alternate opinions.

Bashing the U.S. is no different or prevalent than U.S. citizens bashing other countries or their citizens or are you so biased you actually think so.
Much as I'd like to not believe you I can't. You are absolutely right. Not so much on these "world" forums" but just go over to that internet nut house called "politics and other controversies".
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Corvallis OR
26 posts, read 11,867 times
Reputation: 18
We Americans are good people as a whole, but we are just one country out of so many. Most people's home countries are "the best" to them, but they don't expect everybody in the world to agree, as most Americans do (in my observation).

Imagine an English guy talking like the UK is the best country in the world (which never happens, right?). Most Americans hearing that would be quick to disagree, and point out why they disagree.

It goes both ways.
 
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM
 
16,739 posts, read 9,468,766 times
Reputation: 12136
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
He/she is obsessed with hating America. This kind of behavior is embraced by international culture so expect to be called a troll next.
Hello you two.

Careful now; drknoble, kansasturtle, cali4444whatever; you'll have to censor yoursef for a "personal attack" if you go much further using any one of your multiple online personna's Haaaar!

International culture supports many things, but not hating America. That's the false premise of which I speak.

Now would you care to provide links, other than stupid comedians pitching for laughs, to prove your false premise that the U.S. is bashed unmercifully while the rest of the world receives nothing similar in return from below the 49th.

For one thing being from Canada, which comprises the biggest half of the North American continent, I'm arguably American myself. Just say'n.

Get over yourself and stop your whining. You are not representative of any U.S. citizens I've ever met.

I like the U.S. just fine thank you. Currently living and spending my retirement income in the U.S. for half of each year. Luv'n it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top