U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 PM
 
13,830 posts, read 12,618,250 times
Reputation: 6460

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I never have taken notice to this until now. You will find people from the U.K/Canada/Aus bashing Americans in their comedies and everyone is getting the laugh out of it and yet....Americans DO NOT BASH them in any way shape or form. I actually got this link from someone else on these forums. Their is more material out there.


Dylan Moran on Americans - YouTube

America seems to have an endless amount of comedies and not one of them says anything remotely disrespectful about them at all. In fact they never even mention them in there routines. And its just not comedy--I have taken notice to some people having bits at where they go out on the streets and ask random Americans random questions and edit in the "best" (best as in dumbest) answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo


Why is that ok ? Americans have never done anything remotely like this. My thing is. If everyone in the 'Anglo-Sphere' are supposed to be 'so close' and have SO much in common (You know all of that FAKE bull crap about being friend) why is this meet with laughs. Is it because others would like to believe that their country is just SO much more sophisticated/educated/fit. If you truly believe that everyone around you is just that much more smarter then why broadcast it on your TV. Wouldn't it simply speak for it self ?

I think in this particular case you simply didn't listen long enough, before talking about "America's bashing.."




Dylan Moran on Germany (Like Totally) - YouTube!

 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Guangzhou, China
9,620 posts, read 12,791,956 times
Reputation: 11167
Comedians make fun of everything and everyone... it's not like there's never been standup that's roasted upper-class British, Japanese businessmen, French artists, etc.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:24 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,484 posts, read 1,647,060 times
Reputation: 1009
In some extent I understand this attitude from some countries like Iran, Pakistan, Venezuela, or other country whose relations with USA are not the best. But Australia and Canada? According to what I know, both canadians and australians enjoy a good standard of living, and the relationship between USA and these countries are the best possible. It's really a surprise.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM
 
2,421 posts, read 6,215,366 times
Reputation: 3806
What about this


Maybe the Dingo Ate Your Baby - YouTube

As an Australian I could take this as being abit insensitive (I don't though ).
 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM
 
12,676 posts, read 12,085,149 times
Reputation: 17325
Seems cool to bash anyone, accept of course non-whites in an economical bad situation; like why there is plenty bashing of Russian stereotypes, yet people will cry if making fun Asian stereotypes. (Google for that recent example of some app).
 
Old 01-27-2013, 07:33 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,427,088 times
Reputation: 47455
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
Expect for their are people who act like a 'clown' EVERY WHERE. And the reality of the situation is you cannot 'treat' Americans in any real way because they are on a completely different peace of land. The most one could do was talk about them and they reply with indiffrence. And if they are such clowns then why in the hell would you EVER buy ANYTHING from these idiots--let alone watch and whole heartily enjoy the mass majority of there entertainment/media/food I mean after all that is how these people got to be that dumb anyway correct ?
no friend we dont have clowns everywhere. in france the clowns are at the circus.
you put a bunch of americans in paris on the street, you are going to see a multicolor neon vested loud arm swinging circus
not so the french here or there
as to buying stuff ----they dont buy anything we make, we buy everything they make. is that dumb?
as to our entertainment industry, we live in a fantasy world, and export it.
dear friend there were some serious spelling errors in your post.
peace of land
indiffrence
there entertainment
i am not perfect either, if you find a way to use spell check on CDF let me know i need it too.
have a good day
 
Old 01-27-2013, 08:02 PM
 
261 posts, read 425,050 times
Reputation: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no friend we dont have clowns everywhere. in france the clowns are at the circus.
you put a bunch of americans in paris on the street, you are going to see a multicolor neon vested loud arm swinging circus
not so the french here or there
as to buying stuff ----they dont buy anything we make, we buy everything they make. is that dumb?
as to our entertainment industry, we live in a fantasy world, and export it.
dear friend there were some serious spelling errors in your post.
peace of land
indiffrence
there entertainment
i am not perfect either, if you find a way to use spell check on CDF let me know i need it too.
have a good day
Well it seems as if from experience you are well knowing of the French, their people and their culture and it seems to be (from what I gathered from your post) they are very sophisticated and are well mannered in public places (well somebody has to set an example). Which is not shocking because they are so highly thought of and mentioned so often around here. Thankfully as I said in my opening statement I had no mention of the French I was talking about the general make up of what is considered the 'Anglo-sphere'. Everyone knows the French are far to above this to even be associated.

Well as far as my grammar is concerned-- thankfully you got the message that was intended. After all that was the point and seeing as how you got it (and apparently everyone else who has read this thread seems to get it) I would say it was a success.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 08:08 PM
 
Location: San Marcos, TX
2,572 posts, read 6,265,030 times
Reputation: 3999
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I think in this particular case you simply didn't listen long enough, before talking about "America's bashing.."




Dylan Moran on Germany (Like Totally) - YouTube!
Yeah. Dylan Moran is Irish. He makes fun of the Irish too, and the British, etc. He pokes fun at stereotypes also. I think he is hilarious (I am American). I guess I am not offended by things like this anymore than I am offended by lesbian jokes that also rely on stereotypes, or jokes about the Southern US, or liberals/Democrats, etc., or any other category I might fit into because I understand that they are poking fun of extremes on one end or the other.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 08:23 PM
 
4,948 posts, read 6,877,089 times
Reputation: 7860
America is an easy country to bash.
 
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
72,752 posts, read 64,203,456 times
Reputation: 68555
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I never have taken notice to this until now. You will find people from the U.K/Canada/Aus bashing Americans in their comedies and everyone is getting the laugh out of it and yet....Americans DO NOT BASH them in any way shape or form. I actually got this link from someone else on these forums. Their is more material out there.


Dylan Moran on Americans - YouTube

America seems to have an endless amount of comedies and not one of them says anything remotely disrespectful about them at all. In fact they never even mention them in there routines. And its just not comedy--I have taken notice to some people having bits at where they go out on the streets and ask random Americans random questions and edit in the "best" (best as in dumbest) answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo


Why is that ok ? Americans have never done anything remotely like this. My thing is. If everyone in the 'Anglo-Sphere' are supposed to be 'so close' and have SO much in common (You know all of that FAKE bull crap about being friend) why is this meet with laughs. Is it because others would like to believe that their country is just SO much more sophisticated/educated/fit. If you truly believe that everyone around you is just that much more smarter then why broadcast it on your TV. Wouldn't it simply speak for it self ?
Some people are fed up with American militarism and moral posturing, for one thing. And then there's the "Ugly American" tourist syndrome. Americans don't have a reputation for tact, diplomatically or personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top