U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 04:18 PM

16,798 posts, read 9,502,648 times

Advertisements

Of course there are more Canadians heading south so that would reinforce your view of the world disliking you, taking unfair and unnecessary cheap shots how exactly?

You can't have it both ways; either you're the destination of choice with everyone lusting to live in utopia or you're disliked and unfairly villified by everyone. Which is it?

Makes interesting reading as it highlights the reasons for the reverse not being strictly economic

Americans going to Canada to find work – Global Public Square - CNN.com Blogs

"I agree with most of what you're saying, but taking unfair and unnecessary cheap shots at the US has become the norm nowadays. That's way it's important that we discuss and acknowledge this global phenomenon so that it can be resolved."

Interesting hypothesis that supposes your chatting on a forum will cure this, alledged by you, "global phenomenon".

Stop your whining.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:14 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,013,814 times

Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 PM

16,798 posts, read 9,502,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Another flawed and confused argument. Canada has a population of 34,482,779, and there is estimated to be 1,062,640 Canadian immigrants in the US. The US has population of 313,914,040, and there is estimated to be only 316,350 American immigrants in Canada. Economic pressures will always trump all. In order for the ambitious such as Canadian musicians and actors to make it big, they have no choice but to come to the US.

Canada like many countries doesn't hate the US or it's people per se, but rather resents the influence of what is currently the strongest economic, political, military and cultural superpower on earth. The US is like the popular kid in school that's secretly despised and admired by the insecure students. Which is why you tend to only have negative things to say in regards to the US, but still visit often.

This comment applies to you as well:
Did you completely ignore my first sentence there sunshine? Oh that's right I agreed with you and you hate that; ruins your rant.

Canada like any other country ONLY resents power in any sphere of influence when it's used to gain advantage over and subvert others. It ain't the people, it's the gubmint; capiche?

Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,460,536 times
Well the U.S has a 10 to 1 population difference so it is going to suck more people from Canada than vice versa - just simple laws of the universe really. Canadians are known for travelling and going to warm places - Mexico, Cuba, Dominican the U.S etc.

I think you are making a bigger deal about the U.S bashers in the world than need be.. dude - really do you think most people think about the U.S as much as what you think? I hate to say it but get over it because they don't! As far as media and culture goes, the U.S has more influence than any other singular nation so it is going to get more attention in media in a general sense, but as far as being on the collective minds of most people of the world - sorry just not there. Can't bomb people's thoughts into submission. Simply, People have their own lives to worry about rather than think about the glory of other nations - save for some fundamentalist factions in the M.E, Iran and N.K. - i'll give you that.

Do you know how many times I talked about the U.S to my coworkers at work this week? ZERO! Do you know how often they mentioned the U.S. ZERO lol.. Don't worry, we didn't talk about Nauru either lol.

Quote:
However, there are more Canadians that come to the US for career opportunities and climate than the reverse.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but taking unfair and unnecessary cheap shots at the US has become the norm nowadays. That's way it's important that we discuss and acknowledge this global phenomenon so that it can be resolved.

Last edited by fusion2; 03-21-2013 at 06:37 PM..

Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,460,536 times
LOL I think you have to be in your teenage or twink years haha to say this. You honestly really think this? Lord have mercy you need to travel more!!

Quote:

Canada like many countries doesn't hate the US or it's people per se, but rather resents the influence of what is currently the strongest economic, political, military and cultural superpower on earth. The US is like the popular kid in school that's secretly despised and admired by the insecure students. Which is why you tend to only have negative things to say in regards to the US, but still visit often.

This comment applies to you as well:

Old 03-21-2013, 06:00 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,992,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
You can't trust em, as my grandfather always told me. He was there during WW2 to take out the Japanese imperialists and after the battle, he set a coconut down by the side of the road and left to find a hammer with which to crack it open. When he came back, one of those thieving Naurutes had walked off with it!

On his deathbed, he made me swear to go back there and take all their coconuts someday for vengeance.
I have to defend the Naurutian government's recent work. Let the real truth be known. Coconut rustling today is punishable by hanging...if a tree can be found nearby. Otherwise the shark pen is the common form of excecution throughout the republic (ripiblick).

You may also file for redress on the part of your grandfather. You will be awared a sum of not more than 20 thousand coconuts but transporting them to your own domicile is your responsiblity. This seems fair to me.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:20 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,469,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I have to defend the Naurutian government's recent work. Let the real truth be known. Coconut rustling today is punishable by hanging...if a tree can be found nearby. Otherwise the shark pen is the common form of excecution throughout the republic (ripiblick).

You may also file for redress on the part of your grandfather. You will be awared a sum of not more than 20 thousand coconuts but transporting them to your own domicile is your responsiblity. This seems fair to me.
I think Bob Dylan said it best in regards to Nauru...

Nothing really matters much it's doom alone that counts.

the good 'ol days (from wiki)

Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,992,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I think Bob Dylan said it best in regards to Nauru...

Nothing really matters much it's doom alone that counts.

the good 'ol days (from wiki)

That single B-24 threw Nauru back 100 years. It totally destroyed the lucrative guano industry on the island as well as the coconut crop. But the recovery has been nothing less than spectacular. Today the Naurutes are knee deep in guano and have coconuts bouncing off their heads. Capitalism is not all bad.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,741,862 times
Quote drknoble - "The US is like the popular kid in school that's secretly despised and admired by the insecure students. Which is why you tend to only have negative things to say in regards to the US, but still visit often"

And you wonder why people bash the US

Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,225,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think you are making a bigger deal about the U.S bashers in the world than need be.. dude - really do you think most people think about the U.S as much as what you think? I hate to say it but get over it because they don't! As far as media and culture goes, the U.S has more influence than any other singular nation so it is going to get more attention in media but as far as being on the collective minds of most people of the world - sorry just not there. Can't bomb people's thoughts into submission. Simply, People have their own lives to worry about rather than think about the glory of other nations - save for some fundamentalist factions in the M.E, Iran and N.K. - i'll give you that.

Do you know how many times I talked about the U.S to my coworkers at work this week? ZERO! Do you know how often they mentioned the U.S. ZERO lol..
I think the fact that their country is just so irrelevant to most people most of the time hurts them more than thinking the whole world passionately hates them, that's why they cling to this idea. The vast - and I mean vast - majority of people just don't care enough to be anti-American. Sure, if you asked them their opinion of the US they might come up with some negative stereotypes (ignorant, fat, arrogant) but the same is true for many countries around the world. If you asked them about France, Germany, Britain, China, Russia etc. they might have negative stereotypes as well but that doesn't mean they 'hate' those countries or even care about them. People consume American pop culture (music, movies, tv shows) without paying much attention to the fact that it's American. It's just entertainment. The people who have a special interest in the US - either positive or negative - are a tiny minority. They might be vocal, and negative opinions are often more outspoken than positive ones, but that doesn't mean they're in any way dominant.

I notice that it's Americans who keep opening these threads but I wonder if you can name me ONE European or Canadian poster on this forum who is explicitly anti-American? Because I don't know of any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or