U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 07:06 PM

16,792 posts, read 9,498,432 times

Advertisements

Wait for it ...... wait for it..........

Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,453,439 times
Very well said and I 100% agree! However, you do know that you will be labelled 'anti-american' for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I think the fact that their country is just so irrelevant to most people most of the time hurts them more than thinking the whole world passionately hates them, that's why they cling to this idea. The vast - and I mean vast - majority of people just don't care enough to be anti-American. Sure, if you asked them their opinion of the US they might come up with some negative stereotypes (ignorant, fat, arrogant) but the same is true for many countries around the world. If you asked them about France, Germany, Britain, China, Russia etc. they might have negative stereotypes as well but that doesn't mean they 'hate' those countries or even care about them. People consume American pop culture (music, movies, tv shows) without paying much attention to the fact that it's American. It's just entertainment. The people who have a special interest in the US - either positive or negative - are a tiny minority. They might be vocal, and negative opinions are often more outspoken than positive ones, but that doesn't mean they're in any way dominant.

I notice that it's Americans who keep opening these threads but I wonder if you can name me ONE European or Canadian poster on this forum who is explicitly anti-American? Because I don't know of any.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:26 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,009,182 times
Quote:
I think the fact that their country is just so irrelevant to most people most of the time hurts them more than thinking the whole world passionately hates them, that's why they cling to this idea. The vast - and I mean vast - majority of people just don't care enough to be anti-American. Sure, if you asked them their opinion of the US they might come up with some negative stereotypes (ignorant, fat, arrogant) but the same is true for many countries around the world. If you asked them about France, Germany, Britain, China, Russia etc. they might have negative stereotypes as well but that doesn't mean they 'hate' those countries or even care about them. People consume American pop culture (music, movies, tv shows) without paying much attention to the fact that it's American. It's just entertainment. The people who have a special interest in the US - either positive or negative - are a tiny minority. They might be vocal, and negative opinions are often more outspoken than positive ones, but that doesn't mean they're in any way dominant.

I notice that it's Americans who keep opening these threads but I wonder if you can name me ONE European or Canadian poster on this forum who is explicitly anti-American? Because I don't know of any.
This kid decided to create a bash usa thread right after a horrible tragedy that happened here,

The USA is a sick society.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:34 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,739,842 times
So a guy on a forum posted a malicious thread, what's new? Doesn't mean the entire world has agrees. I imagine within two minutes I could scan this forum and find a malicious, Brit/Europe poster easily.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:39 PM

I think the key word here is

KID

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This kid decided to create a bash usa thread right after a horrible tragedy that happened here,

Old 03-21-2013, 07:45 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,224,538 times
Quote:

Apart from the controversial title, I don't see anything objectionable, let alone anti-American, about this post. Then again, any criticism of the US - in this case about its gun laws - is considered anti-American in the eyes of some Americans. I've seen some replies in that thread that could equally be considered "anti-Canadian" but I wouldn't go that far. The fact that you had to dig up a three-month old thread in order to find an example of what you perceive as anti-Americanism suggests that it's not as rampant as some people here would have you believe, though

Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM

I think it is important to note that the typical CD forummer is not your typical citizen of any country in most cases. Just like we go to the movies for entertainment, some people just say inflammatory things over the internet to garner a response or incite some drama for simply.... entertainment and *h*ts and giggles

Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,009,182 times
Quote:
Apart from the controversial title, I don't see anything objectionable, let alone anti-American, about this post. Then again, any criticism of the US - in this case about its gun laws - is considered anti-American in the eyes of some Americans. I've seen some replies in that thread that could equally be considered "anti-Canadian" but I wouldn't go that far.
the title is part of the post. lol

Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think it is important to note that the typical CD forummer is not your typical citizen of any country in most cases. Just like we go to the movies for entertainment, some people just say inflammatory things over the internet to garner a response or incite some drama for simply.... entertainment and *h*ts and giggles
Yes, and keep in mind that some people create a ton of online personas to agree with them. When you read a post from a Spanish guy with really wacky views, there's a good chance it's Manolon or one of his many sock puppets (his most recent one is Komodo). He makes a new account every month or so.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
the title is part of the post. lol
I'm guessing the title was just to lure people in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or