U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,228,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Okay the guy who says that the USA is a sick society isnt anti-American
No, judging by the rest of his post he is not. Anti-Americanism is defined as "a relentless critical impulse toward American social, economic, and political institutions, traditions, and values" or "systematic opposition - a sort of allergic reaction - to America as a whole" (source). You can't judge by a single sentence if someone is anti-American or not. You can be opposed to certain elements of American culture, in this case its gun laws, without being overall hostile toward the US.

Quote:
But you were just guessing that he or she wrote that single sentence to draw attention to their thread.
It's a common tactic used on the internet and nowhere in his actual post did he say anything remotely controversial like that, so I think my suspicions are correct.

Quote:
Depends what they say.
So:

Canadian says "The US is a sick society" = anti-American
American says "Canada is a sick society" = it depends

Quote:
They can if they want
Somehow I doubt we'll be seeing threads like that any time soon. What's that thing you said about insecurity?

Quote:
btw was it you who suggested the m&m mcflurry from mcdonalds? i tried it and it was pretty good but oreo is still better.
Yep, that was me No way, MC Flurry M&M is the best

Last edited by LindavG; 03-22-2013 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 AM

5,901 posts, read 7,972,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I think the fact that their country is just so irrelevant to most people most of the time hurts them more than thinking the whole world passionately hates them, that's why they cling to this idea. The vast - and I mean vast - majority of people just don't care enough to be anti-American. Sure, if you asked them their opinion of the US they might come up with some negative stereotypes (ignorant, fat, arrogant) but the same is true for many countries around the world. If you asked them about France, Germany, Britain, China, Russia etc. they might have negative stereotypes as well but that doesn't mean they 'hate' those countries or even care about them. People consume American pop culture (music, movies, tv shows) without paying much attention to the fact that it's American. It's just entertainment. The people who have a special interest in the US - either positive or negative - are a tiny minority. They might be vocal, and negative opinions are often more outspoken than positive ones, but that doesn't mean they're in any way dominant.

I notice that it's Americans who keep opening these threads but I wonder if you can name me ONE European or Canadian poster on this forum who is explicitly anti-American? Because I don't know of any.
this is such a great post and so true!!

Old 03-22-2013, 07:55 AM

32 posts, read 46,987 times
Americans should also stop proclaiming to be the "best" or the most free nation on earth, when they are basically enslaved and work far longer hours and literally kill themselves for jobs, or be left behind by the competition. I don't call that a free country at all, unless you're wealthy or a big company.

Interestingly. I have a friend in the USA who is experiencing being overworked. They want him to work weekends too. I looked up his rights, but I found this, which seems to summarise American attitudes towards being enslaved:

Can my employer force me to work weekends? - AnandTech Forums

I would rather have a lower income, public healthcare and the ability to work to live rather than vice versa.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM

7,972 posts, read 9,747,944 times
Default Why is it cool to bash Americans ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2-D2 View Post
I would rather have a lower income, public healthcare and the ability to work to live rather than vice versa.
Amen to that.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,094,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
I love your venom and hate, especially from a hippie!

Look at you! any excuse to say horrendous tings and you think thats not arrogance?
Sadly you represent the average frenchman or brit- not much to boast about but sit back on your "heritage" and think you have room to talk about other countries.
What "tings" do I say that are not true?
Go ahead, point something out.

I'm from the US. Duh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Uuuh; I believe she's a former U.S. citizen now living in Europe but I could be wrong.
I guess I should be genuflecting in the direction of the US at all times.
Sadly, I ended my contract a bit early and will be returning to the US in the winter.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I have noticed that almost every thread you go to is about america and your comments are nothing but negative comments about america.
And your point?
The US spends too much time believing its own PR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol, this is just sad. A good portion of Americans on here think the WHOLE world has it in for them. Ever thought if the WHOLE world thinks it it might be true ............ of course not, you just think it's bashing Grow up, own your faults then move on! I love a lot of American things - The Black Keys, Alex Winston, Seattle, San Fran, Ice Hockey, Michael Phelps etcetera, etcetera ....... but I also dislike other things, like I do for lots of countries including my own. Stop playing the "poor me, everyone's against us" card, you'll get people that genuinely don't like America and Americans but you get the same with the UK, France, Germany and most countries. You shouldn't expect other countries and cultures to agree with you or like what your government does etc ........... this is a forum, you have come to the wrong place if you haven't got thick skin!
The US christians have an even more paranoid outlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Typical response. If you point out the non-stop, unfair, and unreasonable bashing of the US, you're whining and need thicker skin.

And FYI, the US acknowledges its faults way more than other countries. We constantly talk about them in the news, tv shows, movies, books, music, etc, which is why you probably think you're an expert when it comes to America's problems. The world knows more about US faults than any other country, even though historically America's faults are far smaller in comparison with European countries.
This is actually funny.
The US never admits that it is wrong about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
From an American perspective, this is true. The American public has no appetite for war, especially after what happened in the last decade. But the world is a complex place and it's often not a pretty picure. There are all kinds of rogue regimes. What do you do about a North Korea or an Iran when things there really start to get out of hand? We also feel it's our moral obligation to help our allies when they cannot handle a situation on their own and come to us for help. Do we sit and do nothing instead? That's the situation we often face.
What a load of bull.
The US needs to keep its nose out of everyone else’s business and mind its own and take care of its own mess in the US.
The US is the biggest rogue regime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy97701 View Post
Why does nobody bash Nauru? Most people don't know anything about it; whereas the USA is all over TV, movies, news, etc, in a lot of the world.
Because it’s the world’s biggest bully.
They’re not “the” superpower any more and would be best to accept it and back off.
We can’t afford to stick our nose in everyone’s business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Obviously, soldiers that die during warfare are not considered innocent people.

Again, indirect deaths do not count.
Nope.
Sorry, but they do.
Those people all have families who love them. You know, like those 100,000+ dead Iraqis.
Or don’t they count because they’re not from the US?

Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 PM

1,401 posts, read 1,127,655 times
It's cool because Americans are seen as war-mongering fat idiots by some people Then again the U.S. has her tentacles everywhere. It's kinda hard to react neutral(can you say like that? please help )

Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,026,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What "tings" do I say that are not true?
Go ahead, point something out.

I'm from the US. Duh.

I guess I should be genuflecting in the direction of the US at all times.
Sadly, I ended my contract a bit early and will be returning to the US in the winter.
Consider yourself lucky.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:17 PM

14,805 posts, read 17,026,319 times
Quote:
No, judging by the rest of his post he is not. Anti-Americanism is defined as "a relentless critical impulse toward American social, economic, and political institutions, traditions, and values" or "systematic opposition - a sort of allergic reaction - to America as a whole" (source). You can't judge by a single sentence if someone is anti-American or not. You can be opposed to certain elements of American culture, in this case its gun laws, without being overall hostile toward the US.
Well by that definition it would seem like he is anti-American, he didn't attack American criminal he attacked America as a whole. I don't even like everything about this country, but i dont let murders represent "USA society"

Quote:
So:

Canadian says "The US is a sick society" = anti-American
American says "Canada is a sick society" = it depends

Both anti

Old 03-22-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Consider yourself lucky.
Not at all.
I really don't like the culture in the US.
I never fit in there, not even as a kid.

Last time I lived there, I never adjusted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or