U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,579,396 times
Reputation: 3723

Advertisements

Ok so what is the reality with your perception... you don't want the U.S to be irrelevant yet at the same time when it is relevant good and bad you focus on negative 'anti-americanism' -

I'd say that using your logic it is a no win situation for the world lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I agree, there are many reasons, that's why it makes not sense to say the US is irrelevant.

 
Old 03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
 
558 posts, read 534,624 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol you are seriously deluded and wasting your life paranoid out your box drknoble.
So you're saying ignorance equals peace of mind? Maybe that explains why you ignore and dismiss anti-Americanism
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Between Heaven And Hell.
11,076 posts, read 7,232,091 times
Reputation: 14328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Yeah but you're not one of the first seven ...unless you re-enlisted using another name.
Seven?
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 PM
 
16,871 posts, read 9,622,431 times
Reputation: 12254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Yeah but you're not one of the first seven ...unless you re-enlisted using another name.

Heee, hee! Luv'n it!
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,579,396 times
Reputation: 3723
You are impossible - rarely do I throw in the towel trying to rationalize with someone but this time I do - not because I think that you have won me over with your rationale - just that I know when things have become a lost cause.

Be well and try not to allow your phobia's in life to get the better of you and keep the ego thing in check....

Check - ciao!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Why are you and many others here desperately fighting to dismiss Anti-Americanism? It's a fact of our world no matter how much you try to ignore it.


I never said City Data represents Americana, even though it does. City-Data, the iPhone, etc are signs of American influence.
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
 
558 posts, read 534,624 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ok so what is the reality with your perception... you don't want the U.S to be irrelevant yet at the same time when it is relevant good and bad you focus on negative 'anti-americanism' -

I'd say that using your logic it is a no win situation for the world lol...
Whether I want the US to be relevant or not is irrelevant to my argument and rebuttals. The fact of the matter is the US is relevant, so for the other poster to suggest otherwise made no sense.

I'm focusing on anti-americanism because it's relevant to this thread and because it's a negative phenomenon that needs acknowledgement and resolution.
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,579,396 times
Reputation: 3723
Your argument reminds me of a boss who wants his employees to love him - by force!

Not that I think this is an accurate characterization of reality - just the way you are - not the way things really are.

Anyway, somehow I don't think President Obama goes to sleep at night worrying about whether Canadians or Europeans are bashing the U.S on City Data... I hope he is thinking about North Korea, Iran and Some Middle Eastern Terrorist outfits - real threats to security. I also am sure he is thinking about strengthening the bond between his allies.

Now i'm going to drink some wine from Italy and Eat some Chocolates from Belgium and watch a BBC documetary on my Sony Vaio computer, but first i'm calling a friend on my new Blackberry Z10.

nighty night.



Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Whether I want the US to be relevant or not is irrelevant to my argument and rebuttals. The fact of the matter is the US is relevant, so for the other poster to suggest otherwise made no sense.

I'm focusing on anti-americanism because it's relevant to this thread and because it's a negative phenomenon that needs acknowledgement and resolution.
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 PM
 
Location: The Netherlands
2,942 posts, read 4,249,686 times
Reputation: 3401
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
That doesn't make any sense because in comparison with other countries, the US is the most relevant around the world.

If America is so irrelevant, then why do so many people around the world watch American movies, American TV, listen to American music, and follow American politics? Why do so many use American restaurants, American business, American internet sites and tech? Why are you on an American forum, in an American thread discussing America, if the US so irrelevant? Where was the last thread that focused on your country?

If the US is so irrelevant, why is there so much world attention paid to the United States and little to none paid to The Netherlands?

Actually it's the other way around, most Americans are indifferent to whether other countries think about them. Most Americans are surprised to learn that so many countries talk about and discuss the US.
Gosh, you seem SO insecure, it's as if your entire self-esteem depends upon knowing that US is the greatest, most awesome, most important, most relevant country ever, lol.

What I mean is that the US is irrelevant to people in their everyday lives, apart from a tiny minority that has either a positive or negative fascination for the US (as is true for many countries). The US rarely comes up in conversations, people just aren't that interested in it, as hard as that may be to believe. People care about things that affect them or that they can relate to, which is why the news is overwhelmingly focused on local, national and EU events, and occasionally the US if it concerns something of (potentially) global consequence - such as Presidential elections or international political decisions. I showed you two prominent Dutch news sources the other day, one featured a single headline about the US (in relation to North Korea) and the other had no news on the US whatsoever. Let's see if it is any different today: Snelle duiding bij het belangrijkste nieuws :: nrc.nl Out of all the articles on the homepage, there is 1 about the US and it's about Obama's concerns about Syria after the fall of the regime. About 90% of the articles are national or EU related, and there's a few international ones about the Middle East, Africa and Russia. I'm giving you a reputable well-known news source straight from the Netherlands that shows there is no "obsession" with the US in our media but you refuse to accept it. I wonder why. Must be that self-esteem thing.

People do not watch American movies or listen to American music because because they are American, that's what you don't seem to get. Most people don't even know whether an artist is British, American or Canadian unless they've heard him/her speak - and they don't care. I've never heard anyone say "I don't like that artist because he's American" or "I'm going to watch that movie because it's American".

The Netherlands may not be relevant to the world but it is relevant to its citizens, and that's the point I'm trying to make. You can go to the most "irrelevant" country in the world and you'll find that it is still the #1 priority for the people living there.

Last edited by LindavG; 03-22-2013 at 07:58 PM..
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 PM
 
558 posts, read 534,624 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
You are impossible - rarely do I throw in the towel trying to rationalize with someone but this time I do - not because I think that you have won me over with your rationale - just that I know when things have become a lost cause.

Be well and try not to allow your phobia's in life to get the better of you and keep the ego thing in check....

Check - ciao!
How could you've tried to rationalize, if you're denying the existence of anti-Americanism?

I expected this kind of response soon enough. Tries to dismiss and ignore Anti-Americanism, can't win debate because facts disagree with claim, finally gives up but tries to label as a phobia ridden outcast while leaving. Typical. Next, I expect to be called a troll. Same old playbook.
 
Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 10,579,396 times
Reputation: 3723
As always an insightful and imo accurate post! You're great!!

Not that most people are really interested nor should they be lol... (Canadian humility) but here is a link to CBC.. One mention of the U.S it it was actually about Obama and Syria. Everything else is Canadiana because the CBC is well Canadian and show things relevant to Go figure - Canada lol

CBC.ca - Canadian News Sports Entertainment Kids Docs Radio TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Gosh, you seem SO insecure, it's as if your entire self-esteem depends upon knowing that US is the greatest, most awesome, most important, most relevant country ever, lol.

What I mean is that the US is irrelevant to people in their everyday lives, apart from a tiny minority that has either a positive or negative fascination for the US (as is true for many countries). The US rarely comes up in conversations, people just aren't that interested in it, as hard as that may be to believe. People care about things that affect them or that they can relate to, which is why the news is overwhelmingly focused on local, national and EU events, and occasionally the US if it concerns something of (potentially) global consequence - such as Presidential elections or international political decisions - that again could affect them. I showed you two prominent Dutch news sources the other day, one featured a single headline about the US (in relation to North Korea) and the other had no news on the US whatsoever.

People do not watch American movies or listen to American because because they are American, that's what you don't seem to get. Most people don't even know whether an artist is British, American or Canadian unless they've heard him/her speak - and they don't care. I've never heard anyone say "I don't like that artist because he's American" or "I'm going to watch that movie because it's American".

The Netherlands may not be relevant to the world but it is relevant to its citizens, and that's the point I'm trying to make. You can go to the most "irrelevant" country in the world and you'll find that it is still the #1 priority for the people living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top