U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-23-2013, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,269 posts, read 12,527,701 times
Reputation: 13422

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Google translate detected German, translation to English says: jawolh, rich love euro stood species

lol

 
Old 03-23-2013, 02:18 PM
 
16,812 posts, read 9,526,531 times
Reputation: 12187
Komodo666; open a window for heaven's sake! You need a breath or twelve of fresh air.
 
Old 03-23-2013, 06:05 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,994,367 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I think it's that Negativity a lot of people have, they hate the fact that people live happy normal life's so they bash the country to try to make it seem like you live in some sort of hellhole. You can see this attitude mostly in the politics forum, look at this thread suppose to be a happy thread bringing people together Remember we are all Americans. the thread really attracted alotof the Negative Nancys.
I don't think it's that for several reasons. ONE: Maybe you are living a happy normal life in rural or even unban Minnesota but there are people all over this nation (without comparing our situation to another country) who are virtually living in hellholes in Chicago (My area, Miami, Los Angeles East and South sides, even places like Cleveland and Atlanta. No that's not the reason Certainly we are not living in a Tarantino film but the people on this board also know it is not a "Days of Our Lives" scenario either. And we also know that most Mexicans don't live in the "Telemundo" soap opera world and neither do the Koreans although those worlds do exists but far, far from the madding crowd.

No many Americans turn to the envy theme but that was 40 years ago. Today the playing field has leveled and the world knows more about its surroundings. That old idea that Americans live in a better and different world from the rest of the planet just doesn't fly anymore and simply because we don't. Envy certainly exists and more inside the country than outside but it isn't any longer the prime mover or even a major mover in anti-Americanism.

The reasons for anti-Americanism are many and varied depending on who you are talking to. The good news is that the reasons for pro-Americanism are also many and varied. However this applies to most countries except places like Somalia, which is probably a total hellhole.

I could give you as many pros as antis but the theme here is anti and not pro. Let's be honest. We do stick our noses in places we don't have to and often shouldn't. No one really asked us to be the world cop but since we have become that conflict has become a highly profitable business for our government and for much of our industry. We also, especially since the Iraq invasion have gone from a peaceful nation to an invasive aggressive one. That doesn't endear us to anyone including a great many of our own citizens. We are on the road to proving the old adage "Power corrupts and absolute power absolutely corrupts." Our shinning armor has become a bit tarnished over the last half century. If we clean up our act we can climb back up the ladder again. Maybe not to number one. I don't think there will ever be a definitive "number one" again but at least we can recover much of what has been lost. But if we continue to believe in the past that no longer is we will continue to get passed by. If we fall further there soon won't be any anti-Americanism because we'll truly be ignored and forgotten. Anti-Americanism is to me like the pain I feel every morning, the pain of old age. When I feel it at least I know I am still alive.
 
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM
 
558 posts, read 532,502 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
What do you mean by that first statement? Are you speaking about Americans who are anti-American? I have said it several times let me repeat. We have that right. That right is to speak forcefully when a politician or a group is seeking to curtail our rights. If you are speaking to those people then you are talking about limiting their right to free speech no matter how strong it may be. As long as one doesn't yell fire in a crowed place they may say what they wish. If you or I don't like what, for example, Chielgirl has to say too bad. She is an American and she has the right to say whatrvrt she pleases just because someone doesn't agree with her she doesn't have to be forced to shut up. If anything that would be anti-American in itself because it goes against the principles of free speech and the nation is founded on that. If your idea is to teach people what NOT to say you are promoting censorship and that is also un-American. We do teach constructive criticism in our schools. You learn it especially in debate courses if you take them. So what you propose is more like tyranny than it is like anything "American". As far as I am concerned, having worn the uniform for this country at a not so great period in our history I have the right now to speak my mind and I don't care if some people don't like what I have to say. I didn't agree with a lot that was said when I was in the military but I learned that I had the obligation to defend the rights of even those Americans that I didn't agree with.

As far as those non-Americans go they may also say what they want. We badmouth a lot of people and call them despicable names (r*****d, etc). You want to educate them? That's impossible. You can't force your ideas on other Americans let alone people of other nations. We tried that just recently and all it does is give them reason to dislike us. So just what do you mean and what do you intend with the post I am quoting here because right now, without a reasonable explanation, it sounds very un-American. As a matter of fact, as I see it, you are bordering on forms of thought that we have traditionally fought against. So can you explain what you mean before we all go away with the wrong impression?
I'm speaking about both Americans and non-Americans.

Of course, everyone is free to say what they like, but in that same vein, everyone is also free to call out and condemn statements that are not constructive but pure destructive anti-Americanism, the same way racism and other prejudices are called out. And do you see anti-Americanism as a good thing? Because you're defending it as if you do. The real question is are you promoting censorship, and are you promoting anti-Americanism? And, the 2nd amendment only protects you from legal action from the government. Which is why you can be fired if you say something inappropriate at your job.

My intentions are to help end anti-Americanism by first bringing awareness. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I'm surprised that you'd rather put all your energy into shielding and protecting something so negative.
 
Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 PM
 
558 posts, read 532,502 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I stand by everything i've said in here. The only thing i'll give you is that cable with the inferiority complex statement in the brief to Obama and even with that I find it overly simplistic and generalized. Most of the cable was actually quite complimentary to Canada/US relations. I also find The State Dept has an unhealthy obsession with CBC imo..actually I think more people from the State Dept watch the CBC than Canadians lol...save for their documentaries the homegrown shows are BORING...
I commend you for acknowledging your mistake, that's a rare occurrence in these forums.
 
Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM
 
558 posts, read 532,502 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
After you show my your "facts" that the US admits to all of its mistakes.
School of the Americas anyone?
Why would I show facts for something I never claimed? Just another example of a flawed argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I've posted ad naseum links to 100k Iraqis dead.
Go search my posting history.
I'm sorry, I will not do your work for you. I have yet to see you provide any sources that back up your extreme claims of 1 million+ innocent killed.
 
Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 PM
 
558 posts, read 532,502 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
And FYI, the US acknowledges its faults way more than other countries. We constantly talk about them in the news, tv shows, movies, books, music, etc, which is why you probably think you're an expert when it comes to America's problems. The world knows more about US faults than any other country, even though historically America's faults are far smaller in comparison with European countries.
I know anti-Americanism is a lotta work, but try to read carefully before you post.

To what statement did I say what was true? I know you're confused so take your time.
 
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM
 
558 posts, read 532,502 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Now he's posted the same boring youtube (instead of actual facts) 7 times.
If he keeps this up, I'll never get to Salzburg without more coffee.
Pure ignorance in full effect. I'm not surprised that you think the way you do. Only the irrational support and promote hate and prejudice.
 
Old 03-23-2013, 07:02 PM
 
1,487 posts, read 1,994,367 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
I'm speaking about both Americans and non-Americans.

Of course, everyone is free to say what they like, but in that same vein, everyone is also free to call out and condemn statements that are not constructive but pure destructive anti-Americanism, the same way racism and other prejudices are called out. And do you see anti-Americanism as a good thing? Because you're defending it as if you do. The real question is are you promoting censorship, and are you promoting anti-Americanism? And, the 2nd amendment only protects you from legal action from the government. Which is why you can be fired if you say something inappropriate at your job.

My intentions are to help end anti-Americanism by first bringing awareness. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I'm surprised that you'd rather put all your energy into shielding and protecting something so negative.
Condemn and defend rhyme but they are not the same thing. Here you are being clever but clever is not intelligent. I asked you to explain your one liners and you try to turn the tables by attacking me and condemning me. That is pure unadulterated BS that hasn't really worked since the Germans used it in the 40's.

However your second non-ranting paragraph does explain your concept and makes it a bit clearer. You might have used the term "awareness" in that context first and that would have made it much more clear.

I am defending anti-Americanism? How? Of course there are moments when it is simply criticism but you interpret it as something negative. But that is your opinion. It would seem to me that your general concept doesn't promote censorship it out - right gives it credence. You call anything that calls attention to the negative aspects of the nation anti-Americanism. I haven't done that. I have simply said that you are being excessively one sided. And I believe the general opinion of folks on the thread support me on that.
 
Old 03-23-2013, 07:13 PM
 
16,812 posts, read 9,526,531 times
Reputation: 12187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Condemn and defend rhyme but they are not the same thing. Here you are being clever but clever is not intelligent. I asked you to explain your one liners and you try to turn the tables by attacking me and condemning me. That is pure unadulterated BS that hasn't really worked since the Germans used it in the 40's.

However your second non-ranting paragraph does explain your concept and makes it a bit clearer. You might have used the term "awareness" in that context first and that would have made it much more clear.

I am defending anti-Americanism? How? Of course there are moments when it is simply criticism but you interpret it as something negative. But that is your opinion. It would seem to me that your general concept doesn't promote censorship it out - right gives it credence. You call anything that calls attention to the negative aspects of the nation anti-Americanism. I haven't done that. I have simply said that you are being excessively one sided. And I believe the general opinion of folks on the thread support me on that.
You; I should say all of us, are playing this idiots game. He cares nothing for any facts or debate, he simply wants to keep this thread running for his amusement.

Each and every response is giving him a giggle and he merely re-types the same bullcrap over and over again while making generalized statements, all incorrect, that we attempt to answer in a sane fashion.

It's nearly time for him to drop this personna as having lived out it's usefulness and re-invent himself in another. Let's hasten the process by simply ignoring this one. I doubt he's even American as I've yet to meet one of his ilk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top