Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 09:18 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,401,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
"Did a dingo eat your baby?"

Thats sick at worst or not funny at best.

A dingo DID kill Lindy Chamberlain’s baby | The Sun |Features
Humor is subjective.

Don't even try to act like you've never cracked a tasteless joke. Lighten up!

"What's red and green and goes around and around and around?"

"A frog with his leg caught in the garbage disposal."

Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,377,747 times
We do plenty of bashing ourselves and this forum is proof of that. Someone here is slamming another country, ethnic group etc on a daily basis. "What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander."

Old 01-29-2013, 09:27 AM

4,298 posts, read 4,393,385 times
I can't stand those people who think they are too good to be made the butt of jokes. It is such an insult to those of us who really are.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 AM

14,813 posts, read 11,922,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumNCoke View Post
I never have taken notice to this until now. You will find people from the U.K/Canada/Aus bashing Americans in their comedies and everyone is getting the laugh out of it and yet....Americans DO NOT BASH them in any way shape or form. I actually got this link from someone else on these forums. Their is more material out there.

Dylan Moran on Americans - YouTube

America seems to have an endless amount of comedies and not one of them says anything remotely disrespectful about them at all. In fact they never even mention them in there routines. And its just not comedy--I have taken notice to some people having bits at where they go out on the streets and ask random Americans random questions and edit in the "best" (best as in dumbest) answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo

Why is that ok ? Americans have never done anything remotely like this. My thing is. If everyone in the 'Anglo-Sphere' are supposed to be 'so close' and have SO much in common (You know all of that FAKE bull crap about being friend) why is this meet with laughs. Is it because others would like to believe that their country is just SO much more sophisticated/educated/fit. If you truly believe that everyone around you is just that much more smarter then why broadcast it on your TV. Wouldn't it simply speak for it self ?
Yeah right!!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM

6,462 posts, read 8,139,278 times
Next threads out:

Why is it cool to bash Brits?
Why is it cool to bash Germans?
Why is it cool to bash Spaniards?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM

Why is it cool to bash Luxembourgians?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:20 AM

7,868 posts, read 10,243,651 times
1 . america is top dog , people always like to try and knock the most successfull of their perch

2. americans tend to be minus the self depreciating gene which british and irish people have in spades , americans without an ounce of irony will blow their own trumpet , people who do that are not well liked in this part of the world , in america , if your good at something , you tell the world about it and the people love you for it , americans worship winners where as in europe we slightly despise them

3 . americans tend to be less well informed about the world than other nationalitys , even those who are merely naive about global affairs appear slightly cringeworthy

Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
1 . america is top dog , people always like to try and knock the most successfull of their perch

2. americans tend to be minus the self depreciating gene which british and irish people have in spades , americans without an ounce of irony will blow their own trumpet , people who do that are not well liked in this part of the world , in america , if your good at something , you tell the world about it and the people love you for it , americans worship winners where as in europe we slightly despise them

3 . americans tend to be less well informed about the world than other nationalitys , even those who are merely naive about global affairs appear slightly cringeworthy
1. True enough
2. Absolutely not true - at least not anymore than any other country. Some of our favorite comedians have their careers to thank for the humor done at the American expense. Even rednecks love redneck humor. We love to make fun of ourselves.
3. Possibly. But to be honest, I found plenty of people from all over the world who were equally naive outside of their little corner of the world. I think this is more myth than reality.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,995,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen and amen.

And you think you catch hell? Dang it, I live in TEXAS.
Texas. Hell, you're a lightweight. Try living in Alabama. If I've heard one joke about marrying my sister or what to wear to a Klan rally on Friday night, I've heard a million.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,495,082 times
They're just jealous of what we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World