Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 02:34 PM

347 posts, read 695,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post

For me, someone going around saying "my country is the best country in the world" is just a clown. And a tacky, unclassy person.
Ditto. It's like everyone got the memo about how tacky it is except for Americans.
I still don't understand how they managed to get that kind of mass brainwashing and extreme buy-in from all citizens though. They seem to all take it as a given. No questions asked. My theory is the indoctrination starts in the school system.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunication View Post
You poor little Americans, would you like a cuddle?
No thanks, we appreciate all the attention.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:45 PM

742 posts, read 1,228,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Ditto. It's like everyone got the memo about how tacky it is except for Americans..
ALSO except for britain, france, germany, Switzerland, sweden.....see where i am going with this.

Or is it not boasting to just say you are better than america?

I find the hypocrisy of complaining about arrogance of americans, but constantly bashing them.

At least Americans are good natured about it, the europeans are outright rude and hateful about their boasting.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 PM

347 posts, read 695,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
ALSO except for britain, france, germany, Switzerland, sweden.....see where i am going with this.

Or is it not boasting to just say you are better than america?

I find the hypocrisy of complaining about arrogance of americans, but constantly bashing them.

At least Americans are good natured about it, the europeans are outright rude and hateful about their boasting.
I've honestly never heard any other country apart from America proclaim to be the best in the world.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
I've honestly never heard any other country apart from America proclaim to be the best in the world.
That's because of our traditional isolationism we don't know there are any other countries in the world.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
You should be honored. If they ignored you then you should really be wondering what's going on. I get a lot of hell for being an American when I go over. People are surprised by my mild mannered attitude when they finally figure out I'm American. You have to just keep your wits about you. Those Canadians though they take so much pride in not being American. There was a great number of Canadians I've met who said I'm Canadian and not American or something to that effect. Then when you tell them that you don't give a chit then they get crossed.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
anecdotal evidence is the best basis for a rebuttal.
So where is your objective evidence then?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,328,244 times
it's just comedy, and besides..the US is flavor of the month or year...

Old 02-01-2013, 05:09 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I think as far as American tourists go, I think a big part of it is that they really do tend to "stick out" in some countries. As an American who spent several months in Spain, I was able to spot other Americans from a mile away. First, most Spaniards dress conservatively, in darker clothing (at least they did as of 2007). American tourists tended to be on the heavier side, dressed in more flamboyant colors, and were to be just as flamboyant with hand gestures, loudness, etc. Like for example, you would rarely if ever see anyone wearing cargo shorts or neon tank tops unless they were American.

I actually blended in fairly well in Spain. I'm generally more reserved, tend to dress in darker clothing anyway and I have a dark complexion (which was common in the part of the country where I lived) so I think most people assumed I was Spanish, and they generally spoke to me in Spanish. It was always funny to see the look on people's faces when they heard my American accent. It was like a split second of confusion where it was plain on people's faces that I did not fit the stereotype they had of Americans.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:24 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
You're kidding, right?
They're comedians.

That said, pompous, we're no. 1 idiots from the US deserve to be mocked.
They sucked up the propaganda and don't see their rightful place in the world.
They're not special and their policies have killed millions of innocent people throughout the world.

They don't take care of their own citizens and try to tell the rest of the world how to live.
They're spoiled little brats who use guns to try to tame others and force their beliefs on them.

Shall I go on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World