Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:51 AM

2 posts, read 17,204 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm marrying an American soon and I'm pretty sure I'd want to move to America. I have an Australian citizen so we'd have the option to live in either America or Australia.

I've lived in Australia my whole life, and I have visited America for a few weeks couple of years ago. From that experience, I loved it!!!!! I went to the shops (or malls as you guys say:P) and a lady accidentally bumped into me with her shopping trolley and she turned around and said "I'm so sorry ma'am, have a nice day" and she walked off. I was so shocked, no one does that around where I live lol. I also loved the American winter and I wouldn't mind spending christmas in winter. I love how you Americans get excited over halloween and I think thanksgiving is really nice! I overall love all of your holidays.

I just want to know if I would fit in America? Thinking of either Texas or LA. To describe myself, I'm pretty laid back. I have the Aussie sense of humor, so what I find funny you guys may not find funny. I am not racist (many people think ALL Australians are racist). I do go to the beach occasionally and I love to shop.

Also, would it be hard to get a job in America with my Aussie accent? If I were to ring or answer phone calls, I might get abused at my accent and may want to talk to a 'real' American... Which I guess I understand.

I'm just scared I'll get home sick. I have 95% of my family, including MOST of my immediate family in the states though.

Anyways are there any Aussies with long term experience in American culture? Or have you met an Australian living in America? Please share your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 05:29 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I've never been to Australia, so I can't really compare. I can tell you most Americans have a positive perception of Australians. We think of them as just like us. My cousin, who has lived in Australia for several years, tells me that Australians are actually pretty different than Americans, but this came as a surprise to me... and I would hazard to guess that it would to most Americans. I don't think you should have any issues getting a job (other than the usual ones in this economy) and you probably won't encounter any discrimination.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:01 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
There are a lot of Aussies living in the beach communities of Southern California. They are generally well liked, on females the accent is charming.

We just don't expect them to buy the next round of drinks

Old 01-28-2013, 09:05 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,951 times
I can't really comment on differences in culture b/c I don't know a ton about Australian culture, but I will agree with the other posters who say you should not have any trouble in America. I believe most Americans have a positive view of Australia.

America and Australia have similar origins, with both being "discovered" and settled/colonized by Europeans and largely displacing the native populations. I think most people in America think of Australia as similar to the US except maybe a bit more rugged and outdoorsy. Some Americans tend to view some European countries as a little bit "uppity" but Australians seem laid back and cool. At least that has been the opinion I have seen.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I spent 6 months in Australia many years and I would have stayed if I could have. Australia has a much slower pace of life and better social benefits than the USA.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
I've known a few Australians and I'd say Ozzies are a bit more outgoing than even some of my friendliest American friends.

More likely than not, people will love your accent. If anything, you might get annoyed with "What do you call such-and-such? Oh that is so adorable!" (My guy Australian friend quickly become a fascination among the girls in our area). Don't forget, America is a big and diverse place so 'fitting in' really isn't all that hard. This is more true in the bigger cities than the smaller ones but LA especially is full of different characters and personality types. Everyone's different!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:49 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,211 times
From the Aussies I've talked to. In general

-More outgoing
-Less religious
- More laid back
- Less PC

Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 14,621 times
You will do just fine. Get this book/ebook from amazon.com that tells you all about American culture: "What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to understand crazy American culture, people, government, business, language and more.” It paints a revealing picture of America for those foreigners who will benefit from a better understanding. Endorsed by ambassadors, educators, and editors, it also informs Americans who want to learn more about the U.S. and how we compare to other countries around the world on many issues, including our Down Under friends. Good luck and congrats on the marriage. [url=http://www.AmericaAtoZ.com]www.americaatoz.com[/url]

Old 01-29-2013, 03:03 PM

432 posts, read 1,228,534 times
Flip the coin. I am an American who has lived in various places in AU for the last 21 years. I am actually moving back to USA in the near future to be close to family and for future retirement years. I travel back every two years for appx 6 weeks at a time so I haven't lost the American ways. You will be fine and you will fit in quite easily in the American Culture. Americans are MUCH more accepting of "foreigners" and much easier to befriend an American than the other way around. Of course depending on where you do decide to live will also change as the 50 states do have various differences, but saying that you will still be accepted. As far as finding work, once again depends on where you live and what your career path is. Unemployment is higher in some states then others so you should follow the employment/unemployment forums to get some ideas. Do your research and do the move. If you absolutely decide its not a good fit for you (give it 12-18 mo), you always have the choice to move back to AU. The best to you.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:59 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Coming from an Australian who moved to the U.S. almost 8 years ago, I personally think that for the most part, the American culture is better than the Australian culture. For starters, I've found Americans to be friendlier and more forthcoming than Australians. Maybe it's just because I'm Australian and have retained my accent, but Americans have been wonderful to me pretty much everywhere (I've been to every state except for Alaska during my time here and on previous vacations).

Personally, I wouldn't pick LA as my #1 spot to live in the U.S. mainly because of the cost of living in California and current unemployment rate (9.8%). It's great for a vacation (Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Disneyland, etc etc) but with the economic climate there are definitely better places to live in the U.S.

As for Texas, although it's less than half the size of Queensland, it's obviously the biggest in terms of area of the contiguous U.S. States. Lifestyle could differ wildly depending on where you chose to live in Texas. If you could narrow it down to a city or region that would help people offer more advice on that one.

When it comes to your accent- take it from me- it's a BONUS not a hindrance! Although some people initially had difficulty understanding me (you've got to get out of the habit of using Australian slang, because not a lot of them translate easily) as long as you use American terminology for things, you'll be fine. In the larger cities, most Americans are accustomed to Australians / Brits and foreigners in general anyhow, it's really only when you get out to the more regional cities / small towns that it seems to pose a bit of a problem (and even then, it's met with curiosity, not animosity!).

Like you, I left all of my friends and family in Australia- but I haven't even been back once nor desired to (they come to visit me, not vice versa!). You'll find that America does almost everything the same but better, plus the cost of living in a great deal of the U.S. is so low (California, NYC and Hawaii being a few exceptions) , that you can afford a higher standard of living than in Australia.

I honestly don't miss Australia at all. Americans are far too awesome, and this country is far too amazing (even in a recession) to even consider living in Australia again.

Good luck with your marriage and your move, and I hope you love it here as much as I do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World