U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:03 PM

467 posts, read 1,654,375 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I'm a freelance web designer and my goal is to travel around the world and work at the same time. I plan to embark on my first such trip in April or May, for a month. I've thought of some places, but I came back to C-D because I need more suggestions due to these places not meeting all of my criteria, and wanting to consider places I haven't already thought of or didn't realize were so awesome! Here's what you'll need to know...

Me:
- 25, female, vegan
- Freelance web designer
- Living in Brooklyn for 6 years
- Do not drink, party, smoke, or do drugs
- Been throughout western Europe, from the Czech Republic to the Atlantic (but not Spain or Portugal), Vietnam, Nicaragua, the Bahamas
- Not single (so, not looking for romance), but this trip is solo

Looking for:
- Rent a private bedroom or studio for a month for $300-700 total
- Travel around the region, but not too far
- Can be anywhere in the world, though I love coastal locations
- Good produce/markets
- Bike or moped friendly, ideally, else good public transportation
- 60-80 degree weather in April or May
- A country I've never been to before
- Safe for me
- Not too quiet, not too crowded, maybe a little unusual, where more serious, intellectual travelers would go instead of the partying types

Highest on the list (but by no means ideal):
- Bali, Indonesia
- St. Petersburg, Russia (I speak basic Russian, and would love to improve it)
- Odessa, Ukraine (see above, easier to go to Ukraine, though, and warmer)
- Crete, Greece

Do you have any suggestions? I'll at least consider anywhere! Thanks for the help! (Apologies if this should have gone in the travel forum instead, mod: please feel free to move if it's inappropriate here.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 02:18 PM

6,270 posts, read 6,105,005 times
Shanghai, China.

You can live in the French Concession, where many westerners live so you don't need to speak Chinese.
$300-700 is a little low for a good studio/apartment but is sufficient for an average one.

Shanghai French Concession - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-30-2013, 04:01 PM

Thanks, Bettafish! That's exactly the kind of suggestion I was looking for! I had not considered China at all. The French Concession looks wonderful and is so bike-friendly! I also have a friend who lives in Beijing, so I shall consider it as well.

Anyone else?

Old 01-31-2013, 03:41 PM

30,339 posts, read 31,211,318 times
Tel Aviv, Israel.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:48 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
Pokhara, Nepal. About a half a day from Katmandu by bus, a clean and prosperous and modern city with a delightful climate and clean air, and great views of the Himalayas. Enough travelers that there will be plenty of very cheap lodging choices.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:50 AM

20,128 posts, read 21,745,742 times
I second the Shanghai suggestion. Word of warning is that you're going to have to jump the firewall while you're in China (which is pretty easy to do). Another option is Taipei in Taiwan (Da'an neighborhood is pretty great, but there are a lot of pretty good neighborhoods to choose from) which also has a good deal of expats and is somewhat more manageable than Shanghai and without the firewall. Good food there is very cheap and produce, especially fruit, is fantastic. There are a pretty good number of people who bike in the city (a lot more people on mopeds though) and the mass transit system is very good while cab fare is pretty moderate. Both Shanghai and Taipei are actually pretty crowded in spots though. Maybe name a Brooklyn neighborhood that appeals to you and we can find some sort of analogue to it?

Old 02-03-2013, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the continued suggestions!

If I had to choose, I'd say somewhere like the Carroll Street F stop or Prospect Park West, meets Saltaire, Fire Island (the only community I've been to there), meets Hanoi, Vietnam? Pretty much, I'm looking for somewhere where I can have my own routine -- cook food for myself, find a cafe I can work from -- and meet smart, interesting people already living their lives, not sleeping-by-day, clubbing-by-night 22-year-old backpackers getting their last fun before the corporate ladder, in a place where I could wear jeans if I wanted to, but where it's too hot to put on a jacket.

Anywhere else you can think of that reminds you of that?

Old 02-03-2013, 10:44 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,067,346 times
Check out Vegetarian Restaurants, Vegan Restaurant, Natural Health Food Stores Guide by HappyCow for food suggestions.
Also, airbnb.com for accommodations.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,985,830 times
Have you checked out what's available on airbnb ?

Old 02-05-2013, 03:24 PM

Thanks cheilgirl, I already know about HappyCow, yes. And I will check out airbnb once I narrow down where to stay, but there are sooo many listings right now, I need to be more specific as to where to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World