U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 PM

15,684 posts, read 18,253,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSamme View Post
What's the point of having an American citizenship? You don't get access to any decent benefits, services, or healthcare, and you have to pay taxes to uncle Sam regardless of where you live. It's just stupid.
U.S. citizenship is required for most jobs with the federal government, which happens to be one of the most desirable places to work in America right now for many people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,992,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
U.S. citizenship is required for most jobs with the federal government, which happens to be one of the most desirable places to work in America right now for many people.

Which is by the way the largest employer in the country. We want and need smaller government but yet we have to keep people employed. Catch 22 anyone. Vicious circle also comes to mind.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:19 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Eighteen former NBA professional basketball players born in the USA have taken naturalized citizenship in other countries. Three of them in the Republic of Georgia, two each in Libya, Australia, Lebanon and Montenegro, and one in Bosnia, Bulgaria, France, Japan, Macedonia, Russia and Spain. Apparently, none had ancestors from, those countries, and at least some of them emigrated in order to improve their chances of competing internationally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gn_NBA_players

By the way, one of my wives was Canadian, and lived with me in the USA for eight years, and never gave the slightest thought to ever becoming an American citizen.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-04-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM

9,326 posts, read 18,999,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
As a total oustider, I would be excited to meet and american citizen, I hardly ever hear a real american person talking in their cool accents

However in no way would I be envious.
Aww shop keepers in Adelaide used to compliment me on the accent, but after several years of living in Oz, I started adapting and stopped getting compliments on the accent. I did not meet a lot of foreigners who thought US citizenship was the end all. I've met people who wanted any western passport so they could travel visa free, but these were people from sri Lanka, etc. An Australian passport would have been sufficient for them

BTW I love a sunburnt country.

Last edited by minibrings; 02-04-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Eighteen former NBA professional basketball players born in the USA have taken naturalized citizenship in other countries. Three of them in the Republic of Georgia, two each in Libya, Australia, Lebanon and Montenegro, and one in Bosnia, Bulgaria, France, Japan, Macedonia, Russia and Spain. Apparently, none had ancestors from, those countries, and at least some of them emigrated in order to improve their chances of competing internationally.

List of foreign NBA players - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, one of my wives was Canadian, and lived with me in the USA for eight years, and never gave the slightest thought to ever becoming an American citizen.
How do 18 basketball players who could not make it in the US and took second passports pertain to this thread? Curious.. Not challenging, just not sure of how it sdupports in thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:48 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,479,567 times
I had the most awful row with my Dad when I told him I really wasn't interested in applying for US citizenship. He was definitely one of those Your-life-will-be-perfect-once-you-have-it people. In the end I did do it mainly so I could vote. I've recently had an email conversation with someone in Germany determined to move here because he believes it will be better here for his family than there. Or at least, it will be the same only with cheaper housing.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:13 PM

15,684 posts, read 18,253,080 times
The fact that 11 million people are in the U.S. illegally gives you an indication of how badly a lot of people in the world want to be in the U.S.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
The fact that 11 million people are in the U.S. illegally gives you an indication of how badly a lot of people in the world want to be in the U.S.
But the majority of that 11 million are from countries with lower standards of living.
You'll also find millions of Americans that left the US.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
How do 18 basketball players who could not make it in the US and took second passports pertain to this thread? Curious.. Not challenging, just not sure of how it sdupports in thread
I thought it would be relevant in this thread to talk about people who might have not wished to have a US citizenship, even if they already had one. Obviously, those 18 did not think American citizenship was the end all be all, which appears to be the topic. I don't think I've ever known anyone who gave up their American citizenship, so it surprised me that there were so many.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Of those, I think only about half are Mexican citizens, which represents only about 5% of the total population of Mexico, the other 95% being perfectly content and quite proud of Mexican nationality.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-04-2013 at 07:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or