U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Bethesda, MD
810 posts, read 785,670 times
Reputation: 433

Advertisements

I watched an interesting video featuring an American residing in Germany. Her basic premise seemed to be that plenty of people overseas envied her American status. I'm American and I don't really believe the hype. Seriously, why oh why do so many Americans believe that non Americans envy our citizenship?

Inquiring minds really want to know...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM
 
6,266 posts, read 6,098,121 times
Reputation: 2227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I watched an interesting video featuring an American residing in Germany. Her basic premise seemed to be that plenty of people overseas envied her American status. I'm American and I don't really believe the hype. Seriously, why oh why do so many Americans believe that non Americans envy our citizenship?

Inquiring minds really want to know...
For example, many jobs in the US REQUIRE citizenship. Had I been an American citizen, I would have much more opportunities.

Then you may ask why people want to work in the US? It's simply because the pay is better than the vast majority of places in the world, only except some small countries such as Norway and Switzerland.

In many countries in the world, no job = starving. In the US, the government more or less feeds you even if you refuse to work.

However, envy is not a correct word. Most people do not really care that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,919,697 times
Reputation: 6255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Then you may ask why people want to work in the US? It's simply because the pay is better than the vast majority of places in the world, only except some small countries such as Norway and Switzerland.
Which have two of the five more expensive cities in the entire world..so it makes sense. Both of those countries are pretty expensive on average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,360 posts, read 5,178,606 times
Reputation: 2684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I watched an interesting video featuring an American residing in Germany. Her basic premise seemed to be that plenty of people overseas envied her American status. I'm American and I don't really believe the hype. Seriously, why oh why do so many Americans believe that non Americans envy our citizenship?

Inquiring minds really want to know...
As a total oustider, I would be excited to meet and american citizen, I hardly ever hear a real american person talking in their cool accents

However in no way would I be envious.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 01-31-2013 at 10:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 01:00 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Reputation: 3107
In poor countries they envy but not here.

There are many things we dont have that we want, but we dont care otherwise. I mean id love to live in southern florida but im not desperate to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 AM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
As a total oustider, I would be excited to meet and american citizen, I hardly ever hear a real american person talking in their cool accents

However in no way would I be envious.
I hear it alll the bloody time.

We have loads and loads of american tv channels. Then in the summer we are enveloped by american tourists. Everytime i visit the causeway all i hear is americans. 1.1million visit ireland!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 01:25 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,216 posts, read 12,800,785 times
Reputation: 10446
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
As a total oustider, I would be excited to meet and american citizen, I hardly ever hear a real american person talking in their cool accents

However in no way would I be envious.
I think this might be what the woman in the video is wrongly perceiving as envy. I'm an American living in England and I usually find people are very curious/interested in the fact that I'm American... but that's just because it's kind of a novelty to them at first. Some of them tell me that they love America - but I think they just mean they love going there on vacation or would like to some day. Every once and a while I've gotten someone saying they'd love to live there. But not the majority of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Bethesda, MD
810 posts, read 785,670 times
Reputation: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I think this might be what the woman in the video is wrongly perceiving as envy. I'm an American living in England and I usually find people are very curious/interested in the fact that I'm American... but that's just because it's kind of a novelty to them at first. Some of them tell me that they love America - but I think they just mean they love going there on vacation or would like to some day. Every once and a while I've gotten someone saying they'd love to live there. But not the majority of people.
I see your point. When I moved into my current residence, I met a guy in the elevator with a lovely English accent. We exchanged a few pleasantries. I'll admit that I was a bit taken aback when he told me that he was from York, and not London. Everyone seems to be from London. I joked with him that I was also initially from York, -New York, that is ...

I've met some really nice Brits in this area. The thing that each of them seem to share in common is their tendency to see things as they are. I know this is a very broad generalization, but a lot of Americans are taught to look at things on the bright side, whereas, Brits seem to be far more pessimistic and brutally honest, to a fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 AM
 
30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Reputation: 13990
I was told once by a non-American citizen that I was born with "a silver spoon" in my mouth because I was born in the USA. So obviously some people think that being an American is something to be jealous if one isn't one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 AM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,254,994 times
Reputation: 3071
Maybe some people do envy her status as an American citizen, like some Americans envy the status of some people from other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top