U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your choice would be?
Beijing 5 20.83%
Shanghai 19 79.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times

Advertisements

This one is interesting, these are China's two most dynamic cities.

I've heard often they're very different from one another and that they function for their country with different roles. I remember someone described Shanghai as the urban modern metropolis and Beijing as like Boston, Washington, and Los Angeles all rolled into one because of the entertainment, media, education, politics. That's an interesting way to put it.

Compare these two Chinese cities on everything you can: weather, nightlife, diversity, food, history, transit, key job sectors, culture, infrastructure, skyline, basically everything.

I've never been to either and I've planned out my first trip to China this winter with a friend and both of us want to see Shanghai more but that could be because we don't know much about Beijing and have heard some less than stellar things about it. I want to give the place a chance, hopefully someone here whose been to both can weigh in on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
I would say Shanghai is like NYC, London or Tel Aviv and Beijing is like Washington, D.C. or Jerusalem. Shanghai is a modern financial capital and very cosmopolitan with a great nightlife. Beijing is more about history and seeing the historical sites and being the actual capital of China.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM

878 posts, read 1,119,228 times
What is Shanghai like, outside of the very developed downtown area?

Old 02-01-2013, 11:15 AM

6,266 posts, read 6,098,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionIMPOSSIBRU View Post
Shanghai has many European buildings. Actually a very large area is dominated by Europe-style buildings, which is unique in Asia.

Shanghai does not have a centralized "downtown". Everywhere is crowded and busy just like Manhattan. However Pudong has the most futuristic skyscrapers.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM

20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Quote:
Right outside the big downtowns (the older west river bank one and the newer east river bank one with all the tallest skyscrapers) is generally older apartment buildings in the old apartment buildings, lots of larger midrise and highrise concrete apartment block developments with some of them being very tall. The areas are still decently bustling on the streets generally with it being more bustling the closer into the downtowns, especially the old downtown.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:45 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Quote:
Further out in the suburb area are nice new modern apt. house complexes.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times
That is no contest for me and I select Shanghai without hesitation.

Shanghai just seems to be the more visually pleasant, more sophisticated, trendy, modern, a happening place kind of city compared to Beijing, a bit more culturally free, more variety for what can be experienced there, and more of worthwhile place to get to know very well.

I have seen such phenomenal photos of Shanghai that I added to my extensive collection of photos from all over the world.

I really should start having up all of those photos on this website, and website links for those photos since I literally have 2,000 photos on my computer of areas in 40 countries with Cities, Nature scenery, Architecture, Urban Scenery, Restaurants, Café Bars, Interior Environments, People Scene etc.

Beijing is too much about politics, almost bland visually, Inland Northern China is so much more polluted than Eastern/Southern Coastal China/other parts of China, a more tense environment that is not quite as free, and just not as intriguing and appealing.

However, I am sure even Beijing has some charms, just not nearly as much compared to the Shanghai region.

I am surprised there was never a Shanghai vs. Hong Kong topic said before.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 AM

6,041 posts, read 10,356,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Shanghai has many European buildings. Actually a very large area is dominated by Europe-style buildings, which is unique in Asia.

Shanghai does not have a centralized "downtown". Everywhere is crowded and busy just like Manhattan. However Pudong has the most futuristic skyscrapers.
The specific area of Shanghai you are referring to with European style architecture, and even some historical connections with Europe is named The Bund.

How much of Shanghai has architecture similar to the Bund? It seems The Bund is mostly a one street/15 blocks small neighborhood along Zhongshan road.

Pudong is equally impressive and offers a beneficial, intriguing balance with The Bund. Pudong shows that modern high-rise architecture can have plenty of soul and character in appearance, and that not all modern forms of architecture is discouraging. Shanghai is so underrated for architecture internationally.

However, outside of architecture that is easier to get to know, the actual urban culture, urban amenities: stores/restaurants/cafés/bars/festivals etc. and people scene appears a lot more enigmatic and obscure. What is Shanghai like for those other characteristics?

This city changed so much in the past 10 to 20 years, probably more than almost any other city in the world outside of Hong Kong’s Pearl Delta region.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM

592 posts, read 639,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
The specific area of Shanghai you are referring to with European style architecture, and even some historical connections with Europe is named The Bund.

How much of Shanghai has architecture similar to the Bund? It seems The Bund is mostly a one street/15 blocks small neighborhood along Zhongshan road.
European architecture is not limited to the Bund. The French concession area and many other side streets around HuaiHai Road have quite a few European style buldings.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:01 PM

20,109 posts, read 21,722,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post

Pudong is equally impressive and offers a beneficial, intriguing balance with The Bund. Pudong shows that modern high-rise architecture can have plenty of soul and character in appearance, and that not all modern forms of architecture is discouraging. Shanghai is so underrated for architecture internationally.

However, outside of architecture that is easier to get to know, the actual urban culture, urban amenities: stores/restaurants/cafés/bars/festivals etc. and people scene appears a lot more enigmatic and obscure. What is Shanghai like for those other characteristics?

This city changed so much in the past 10 to 20 years, probably more than almost any other city in the world outside of Hong Kong’s Pearl Delta region.
The Bund is actually just that small strip of buildings along (sorta) part of the Huangpu River's west bank. The areas formerly part of the concessions is actually a lot bigger than that strip and the former French Concession being particularly notable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or