U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:41 PM

4,289 posts, read 3,934,881 times

Advertisements

Portuguese only developed country is Portugal and Spain is the only developed Spanish speaking country.

There are several wealthy developed nations where French is an official language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 01:42 PM

617 posts, read 309,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It works the same going from French to either Spanish or Italian as well.

In the case of Italian the spoken language isn't very easy to understand for most francophones, but the written language is easier to figure out than Spanish is.

Portuguese is the toughest of all three for us.
Why? Being Portuguese inteligible with italian and Spanish. I guess is just matter of be less exposure to the Portuguese language than both Spanish or Italian.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Portuguese only developed country is Portugal and Spain is the only developed Spanish speaking country.

There are several wealthy developed nations where French is an official language.
It doesn’t matter. What matter is the size of the market you reach up knowing such language and Spanish speaking market and Portuguese speaking market is both larger than the French speaking market.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:00 PM

20,571 posts, read 25,628,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Why? Being Portuguese inteligible with italian and Spanish. I guess is just matter of be less exposure to the Portuguese language than both Spanish or Italian.
I don't think so.

I have more exposure to Portuguese than Italian where I live and I still find Italian easier to understand.

I have actually taken Spanish courses and can speak it so-so so that's not a good comparison.

But I've never studied Portuguese or Italian, and in "live action" situations - either reading or trying to understand or make myself understood - Italian is much easier.

Portugal is a bit further removed from France than Italy and Spain are, and it seems like the Portuguese language is a bit further removed from French as well.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

It doesn’t matter. What matter is the size of the market you reach up knowing such language and Spanish speaking market and Portuguese speaking market is both larger than the French speaking market.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think so.

I have more exposure to Portuguese than Italian where I live and I still find Italian easier to understand.

I have actually taken Spanish courses and can speak it so-so so that's not a good comparison.

But I've never studied Portuguese or Italian, and in "live action" situations - either reading or trying to understand or make myself understood - Italian is much easier.

Portugal is a bit further removed from France than Italy and Spain are, and it seems like the Portuguese language is a bit further removed from French as well.
Make sense.

I learned a lot of French watching TV in French with subtitle in Portuguese I really can understand the words and pronounce, and associate with the translation in Portuguese, know clear where one word starts and finish much different when listening Germanics languages with subtitle for example.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:25 PM

342 posts, read 297,463 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t overestimate the mutual intelligibility of spoken Spanish/Portuguese with Italian.
Sure, if the parties make an effort to speak slowly and clearly and are willing to understand / make themselves understood, then a meaningful conversation or exchange of information can ensue.
But an Italian with no previous knowledge of Portuguese or Spanish won’t understand much of either language when spoken at a normal pace, and viceversa.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah true but human developement and influence are also important factors.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
I wouldn’t overestimate the mutual intelligibility of spoken Spanish/Portuguese with Italian.
Sure, if the parties make an effort to speak slowly and clearly and are willing to understand / make themselves understood, then a meaningful conversation or exchange of information can ensue.
But an Italian with no previous knowledge of Portuguese or Spanish won’t understand much of either language when spoken at a normal pace, and viceversa.
When spoken clearly I can understand quite a bit of Italian on the radio. When I used to hear Italians speak in Montreal I couldn't understand very much. Portuguese I can understand a bit better.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:08 PM

20,571 posts, read 25,628,850 times
Quote:
Well there are definitely more Spanish speakers but French and Portuguese in terms of total speakers (first and second language) are about the same.

Portuguese has more first language speakers but they are highly concentrated in one country.

French speakers both first and second language are more scattered all over the world.

French actually has a bigger global geographic spread than Spanish does, I would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or