Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,075,180 times

Advertisements

1.If you know both English and Spanish, which is easier to learn?

2.With the growing brazilian economy, is it more beneficial to learn Portuguese than French.

3. Are there good job prospects in the finance industry for, lets say, a CPA in Miami who knows three languages(english,spanish, and either portuguese and french)

4. Last question. Which language do you personally like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 08:27 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
1. Portuguese. French is quite different from Spanish, trust me.
2. Maybe. But French still has more speakers.
3. In Miami, knowing Portuguese is probably better.
4. I took French for two years, got sick of it and quit. I speak Spanish almost fluently and therefore I understand Portuguese fairly well.

On a side note, if you learn Portuguese, it's very easy to get it mixed up with Spanish.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:34 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
French is a more international language, but as an English speaker, you shouldn't have too much problem with that. If you're planning on doing anything with international politics, you need French, but that's not something many have to deal with. Maybe if you deal with French Canadiens, you might need French.

Portuguese is probably more useful overall.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:07 AM

522 posts, read 622,690 times
Depends on where you want to go and what you want to do I guess. Portuguese, I think, is of growing economic importance because Brazil (and maybe to a much much lesser extent Angola) are of growing importance. However in math, science, and maybe banking (because of Switzerland, though Brazil apparently has some major banks) I'd think French is still more significant.

I would go with French because in some ways it's more like English and I believe there are more "developed nations" (Belgium, France, Monaco, Switzerland, and maybe Canada though Quebecois French is said to be a lot different) that speak French. However if you're interested in agriculture, oil, cars, mining, expanding markets, or US states that don't border Canada then Portuguese might be better.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:35 AM

908 posts, read 1,418,782 times
Another way that French is useful is that it is a language spoken by many recent African immigrants, so if you deal with them, it may be useful.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:51 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
It depends on what you plan to do. If you plan on doing business with South America then study Portuguese. If you plan on doing business with Africa or Europe or Canada then study French.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Spanish and Portugese are too similar in my opinion and French sounds sexy. So learn French. Either way, knowing multiple languages will look good on any job application.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post

1.If you know both English and Spanish, which is easier to learn?

2.With the growing brazilian economy, is it more beneficial to learn Portuguese than French.

3. Are there good job prospects in the finance industry for, lets say, a CPA in Miami who knows three languages(english,spanish, and either portuguese and french)

4. Last question. Which language do you personally like.
Question 1: Portuguese.

Question 2: Yes, particularly in Florida and Latin America although I wouldn't overlook it's importance in NYC or DC either.

Question 3: Yes, see answer to question #2

Question 4: Personally, French but what I (or others) say in that matter shouldn't override the second or third answers.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
I think if your first language is English, French is easier. Lots of English words have the exact same spelling/meaning as their French counterparts (though pronunciation is different.) In many cases, once you have expanded your French vocabulary you can guess what a French word means in English when you hear it.

They are both useful in different ways depending on what you intend on using them for.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:19 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Question 1: Portuguese.

Question 2: Yes, particularly in Florida and Latin America although I wouldn't overlook it's importance in NYC or DC either.

Question 3: Yes, see answer to question #2

Question 4: Personally, French but what I (or others) say in that matter shouldn't override the second or third answers.
^ What he/she said! If you are going to be a CPA in Miami Portuguese would be beneficial as we have a huge Brazilian population in south Florida. Americans are so mono lingual that they don't know the power language has! When you can speak to a client in their own language you have cemented a bond with that person. Why is Miami the Latin American headquarters of so many US corporations? Language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World