U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 01:49 PM

78 posts, read 102,612 times

Advertisements

San Francisco is the clear winner. I mean, now that gay marriage is legal in California, what can you complain about? Plus, SF has a very very "live and let live" mind set amongst most of it's inhabitants and because it's a liberal stronghold I don't think you will have anything to worry about if you're concerned about discrimination and human rights.

Also, there are far more opportunities in SF for some one going into the computer/tech field.

I addition, Marin county, just across the Golden Gate, has Golden Gate Natl. Recreation Area for outdoor adventuring as well as Golden Gate Park within the city limits. Just down the peninsula is the Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Above Marin County is the Point Reyes National Sea Shore too.

SF has a different outdoor scenery that is just a beautiful as Vancouver's. Although it might not seem as majestic, it is still a dramatic scene. Plus, SF has the mediterranean climate - the most desirable climate in the world.

Lastly, SF has way better architecture, with a very eclectic stock of victorian, beaux arts, art deco, mid-century modern, and 21st century architecture.

Also, Sf's gay community is much larger than Vancouver's gay population and Sf's gay are very vocal/influential in the city political scene.

Vancouver is just a resort city now for Chinese investors. SF is a real city with a larger population that is teeming with creativity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 02:31 PM

1,580 posts, read 4,144,952 times
this has been done multiple times

SF is in a different league altogether.

I really cant think of a category where Vancouver beats SF Bay Area except perhaps access to nature (which is also arguable). I'm not an outdoorsy person so this doesn't really merit anything with me.

Safety perhaps...

The weather and the people are colder as well.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,508,212 times
Vancouver for natural beauty (imo) though obviously S.F is no slouch here.. it just isn't in such an absolute idyllic setting as Van.. I also think Van ranks higher in liveability in most surveys -but aside from those things... as a complete and urban city S.F has this one in the bag.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 AM

382 posts, read 511,518 times
I have never lived in one of the cities but do go on business trips there quite often. Both are very nice cities if you have the money.

San Francisco is a much larger city and metro and has more things to offer but at the same time more chaotic. But once you get pass a million mark or so most of the things a city can offer are quite similar. Maybe there are more choices and options in San Francisco but I don't think it lacks too much in Vancouver. But I think one thing that stands out is major league sports, where the Bay area has all major league teams Vancouver only has icehockey (and Seattle is a few hours away). Making money, however, I am almost certain you get more money in the pocket in San Francisco.

Vancouver is smaller and quieter but by no means a backwater town. It seems newer and althuogh the demographics of Vancouver and SF is very similar, Vancouver always reminds me places like Yokohama (especially Minato Mirai) or some place like that with all those new glassy buildings and maybe not too many people living in it. The city cleaner in comparison and is much closer to the mountains (with really good skiing a hour or so away).

If I don't have to worry about money or savings I would choose Vancouver simply because I find the city to be the right size an (I am from Stockholm and they are about the same size) d more calm (in other words boring by many other's standard) and the appromixately to outdoor activities that fits my interest a bit better (access to slopes and snow). But San Francisco is a fantastic city and if I am just starting out my career I would choose San Francisco over Vancouver.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 PM

30 posts, read 44,466 times
San Francisco, for its character and urbanity.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:39 PM
BMI

6,541 posts, read 3,848,594 times
Vancouver has better summer weather....
San Francisco is nicer the rest of the year.

Vancouver gets my vote,
the mountains, Stanley Park, and as an added bonus it's close to Seattle.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 AM

16,172 posts, read 21,483,405 times
Quote:
San Francisco is the clear winner. I mean, now that gay marriage is legal in California, what can you complain about? Plus, SF has a very very "live and let live" mind set amongst most of it's inhabitants and because it's a liberal stronghold I don't think you will have anything to worry about if you're concerned about discrimination and human rights.
This is the image the city likes to portray but it's not quite like this. It's liberal tot he point that it's unhealthy and I'm a liberal person myself. If you are not of the same beliefs and mindset, the city can be rather hostile toward you. Also, the city is VERY class segregated. It's black and Latino population are very marginalized, much more so than in most other cities.
Quote:
I addition, Marin county, just across the Golden Gate, has Golden Gate Natl. Recreation Area for outdoor adventuring as well as Golden Gate Park within the city limits. Just down the peninsula is the Big Basin Redwoods State Park. Above Marin County is the Point Reyes National Sea Shore too.
These are wonderful areas and I've been to most. There's nothing quite as enchanting as a Redwood forest IMO and Redwoods are common in certain areas around SF. They are also one of the most frequently planted trees throughout the Bay Area.
Quote:
SF has a different outdoor scenery that is just a beautiful as Vancouver's. Although it might not seem as majestic, it is still a dramatic scene. Plus, SF has the mediterranean climate - the most desirable climate in the world.
I completely agree but CAUTION: SF has a cool Mediterranean climate and this catches many off-guard in summer.

As far as creativity, a lot of that has left the city as the creative types can no longer afford to live there. Most of the artist and activist types are in Oakland now.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:17 AM

16,172 posts, read 21,483,405 times
Quote:
Making money, however, I am almost certain you get more money in the pocket in San Francisco.
If you're in the tech industry, banking or finance, Doctor or lawyer and the last two frequently live elsewhere. Many don't realize how insanely expensive it is to live in SF and you don't get much for your money. I used to work in SF and even going out for lunch, everything cost more than it would in nearby cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or