U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 07:44 PM

12,097 posts, read 9,630,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DginnWonder View Post
For me:

Mexico:
I just...don't want to! I also find Mexicans to be, on the whole, more somber people than you would expect. Obviously I can't make a sweeping statement like that without being reprimanded, but...speaking to them makes me sad. Can't explain it.

China:
It might be the American in me, but the Country scares the hell out of me. Like, EVERYTHING about it makes me uneasy...

Canada:
Boring. And snow, after the first day, is hugely overrated.

Australia:
This website has a consistent love affair with the country, and I will never know why. Loud, sunburned, racist people who drink themselves into a stupor is the very first thing that comes to my mind when anything 'Australia' comes up.

That seems a bit of an overstatement. Have you ever been there?

I will say however that I find it so boring when certain Australian posters refer to Australia as "the lucky country". Just comes off as obnoxious and ignorant to me. Same as an American calling the US the "greatest country in the world".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 07:56 PM

497 posts, read 847,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Actually is sounds more like city data is your only source of information about Australia.
Ha! I HAVE noticed that there are threads with OPs that have a similar perspective on the country.

I will never forget, though, when I was working at a swanky restaurant in DC that receives all kinds of people. Once, an Australian came in, and without any sort of goading, came up to me and said, "I don't care what they call you people here, but to us Aussies, you BLACKIES are called COLOREDS!"

Ugh! And he was one of the better ones! Those Aussies start drinking, and they get EVEN WORSE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

I will say however that I find it so boring when certain Australian posters refer to Australia as "the lucky country". Just comes off as obnoxious and ignorant to me. Same as an American calling the US the "greatest country in the world".
Um...no, I haven't been. Have absolutely no intention to either.

And of course it is an overstatement! Every reason one can raise about not going to an entire country is an overstatement.

I hate that too. I disagree also with the whole, "Every country is great!" some people say too. No matter what anyone tells me, North Korea is not as great as, say, Italy. No question.

There are however, tiers. And Australia is the bottom tier for me.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,224,926 times
Quote:
For me:

Mexico:
I just...don't want to! I also find Mexicans to be, on the whole, more somber people than you would expect. Obviously I can't make a sweeping statement like that without being reprimanded, but...speaking to them makes me sad. Can't explain it.

China:
It might be the American in me, but the Country scares the hell out of me. Like, EVERYTHING about it makes me uneasy...

Canada:
Boring. And snow, after the first day, is hugely overrated.

Australia:
This website has a consistent love affair with the country, and I will never know why. Loud, sunburned, racist people who drink themselves into a stupor is the very first thing that comes to my mind when anything 'Australia' comes up.
I would say Americans do, sometimes i don't understand it. But to characterise us as racist...well it's a minority, no different to if I were to characterise Americans as racist.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Ha! I HAVE noticed that there are threads with OPs that have a similar perspective on the country.

I will never forget, though, when I was working at a swanky restaurant in DC that receives all kinds of people. Once, an Australian came in, and without any sort of goading, came up to me and said, "I don't care what they call you people here, but to us Aussies, you BLACKIES are called COLOREDS!"

Ugh! And he was one of the better ones! Those Aussies start drinking, and they get EVEN WORSE!

Um...no, I haven't been. Have absolutely no intention to either.

And of course it is an overstatement! Every reason one can raise about not going to an entire country is an overstatement.

I hate that too. I disagree also with the whole, "Every country is great!" some people say too. No matter what anyone tells me, North Korea is not as great as, say, Italy. No question.

There are however, tiers. And Australia is the bottom tier for me.
I'm sorry you met one of your countrymen who held such archaic, racist views and I won't deny they don't exist (I was called a racist slur just a few days ago myself) but please believe me when I say they really are the exceptions rather than the norm. If you ever do come to Oz I'm sure your opinion will improve cos it can't get much worse!

Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Yeah many Australians harp on about Australia being the greatest country in the world. I do think we are lucky, though, but that's not a boast it's more out of gratitude. Australian patriotism can be as bad or even worse than American patriotism, yet we're too small for anyone to notice this.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yeah many Australians harp on about Australia being the greatest country in the world. I do think we are lucky, though, but that's not a boast it's more out of gratitude. Australian patriotism can be as bad or even worse than American patriotism, yet we're too small for anyone to notice this.

Yeah but gratitude about what? That seems no different than the ignorant American going on about how god blessed America more than any other country or god made America the greatest, blah, blah.

I think I would be pretty grateful to be born in Norway, or Canada, the UK, any developed nation for that matter, given that the vast majority of other countries in the world that are really pretty bad off.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah but gratitude about what? That seems no different than the ignorant American going on about how god blessed America more than any other country or god made America the greatest, blah, blah.

I think I would be pretty grateful to be born in Norway, or Canada, the UK, any developed nation for that matter, given that the vast majority of other countries in the world that are really pretty bad off.
Well more that we're a first world nation, that we have universal healthcare, an amiable climate, plenty of open space/opportunity for leisure, a fairly open democracy, aren't rife with guns in every home like the US. I honestly think we have the best quality of life in the world. It may sound boastful, but in many ways i think we have drawbacks. We're quite insular, it's quite boring and sterile. We lack historical buildings. I mean I myself would love to live in other countries for the experience!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Well more that we're a first world nation, that we have universal healthcare, an amiable climate, plenty of open space/opportunity for leisure, a fairly open democracy, aren't rife with guns in every home like the US. I honestly think we have the best quality of life in the world. It may sound boastful, but in many ways i think we have drawbacks. We're quite insular, it's quite boring and sterile. We lack historical buildings. I mean I myself would love to live in other countries for the experience!

Get your facts straight. A majority of US households don't even have guns. You are quite ignorant about American culture.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.aspx

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/31/politics/gun-ownership-declining

Quite a few countries can boast about wide open spaces and opportunities for leisure.

I get this feeling that Australians constantly remind each other how wonderful it is to live in Australia. Not too diff than America.

I could switch those things you boasted about like this: Australia also suffers horrible droughts and wildfires, cyclones, floods (amiable climate), driest continent on earth with large percentage of its land area as uninhabitable desert (plenty of open space), etc.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Get your facts straight. A majority of US households don't even have guns. You are quite ignorant about American culture.

Quite a few countries can boast about wide open spaces and opportunities for leisure.

I get this feeling that Australians constantly remind each other how wonderful it is to live in Australia. Not too diff than America.

I could switch those things you boasted about like this: Australia also suffers horrible droughts and wildfires, cyclones, floods (amiable climate), driest continent on earth with large percentage of its land area as uninhabitable desert (plenty of open space), etc.
Granted I haven't lived in the States, but you'd have to come here to understand. But yeah, I think the first world countries are all pretty much on the level, although in Japan etc the workaholic lifestyle detracts a lot from it.

Either way, I feel safer that there are much LESS guns here than in the States.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM

497 posts, read 847,936 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you met one of your countrymen who held such archaic, racist views and I won't deny they don't exist (I was called a racist slur just a few days ago myself) but please believe me when I say they really are the exceptions rather than the norm. If you ever do come to Oz I'm sure your opinion will improve cos it can't get much worse!
Meh. I went on with my day just fine. Australians and Chinese are the groups of people where, I can say with certainty, I have NEVER left the meeting better than I went into it. Many people (such as yourself) like to then turn around the conversation and say Americans can be racist.

OF COURSE!

We're capable of doing/being anything any other group of people can do or be. The difference I find with Aussies is that they have such a gruff, rough, BOORISH way of doing everything, even being racist. Racism in the US tends to be more subtle. People will throw slurs if they are behind a computer or in a car speeding away. I would be SHOCKED if another American in his 30's (the Aussie looked about 33/35) came up to me and called me "BLACKY!" Um...WHAT?!

With Aussies, it's just another example of why I'll never go to that ex-penal colony turned desert island they lovingly call "OZ"...ugh

Quote:
Quote:

Trimac is not too unlike many non-Americans on this forum. Once someone criticizes their country, it's time to completely change the subject and talk about America's faults. Cuz, y'know, that was the topic...

Classic Red Herring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or